Overnight Oats?

I've been seeing these crazy overnight oats (basically you put classic rolled oats in yogurt/milk and let it sit overnight, add fruit in the morning and you're good to go) all over the internet. I finally made some last night and they were pretty good, but they're a HUGE calorie drain, almost 600 calories for breakfast?!

Has anyone else done this? Do you just suck it up and have a big breakfast or have you "lightened" it up somehow?

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    I make them with almond milk which is pretty low-cal. How did yours turn out to be 600 calories? All I use is 1/2 c oats, chia seeds, protein powder, and almond milk.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    I'm more of a meat and eggs kind of guy for breakfast, so I don't usually have fruit, milk, yogurt or cereal in the morning. My breakfasts can range from 500 to 700 calories and it keeps me full for quite a while.

Calorie wise, it could depend on what they are using such as Full Fat Milk, very sugary Yogurts or Fruit.

You could try using berries, they are quite low in calories compared to other fruits. Use Skimmed Milk or 0% Fat Greek Yogurt.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    How big was your serving size?!
  • lilkat_0087
    lilkat_0087 Posts: 55 Member
    How much did you make? I use oats, peanut butter, berries and almond milk and its approx 350 cal and keeps me full until lunch.
  • I did a serving of yogurt, 1/2 cup oats, chia seeds, 1/2 cup skim milk (I could have excluded this I think), 1/2 banana and then I added strawberries (like 4 little ones or something) and a 1/4 cup almonds.

I know the almonds were a big contributor and I definitely didn't need the whole 1/4 cup, but maybe I'll do 1/4 cup oats and just the yogurt next time?

EDIT: to be fair, I ate at 8:30am and even though it's already 1pm I'm not hungry yet.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Well 1/4 of almonds are around 207 calories. So that really did contribute to it lol. You should be fine with everything else though, fruit contains vitamins and minerals. So keep them. You could try substituting milk or yogurt for greek yogurt for extra protein.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Try knocking it down to 1/4 c oats and yogurt, 1/3 c milk.
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    I use 1/4 cup oats, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 banana sliced and 1/2 cup blueberries. I also add in cinnamon. Mine comes out to around 245 calories..
  • pinklily905
    pinklily905 Posts: 106 Member
    I use 1/3 cup of oats, 1/3 cup almond milk, full coop of protein powder, tablespoon of chia, and a single serving container of yogurt. Always right around 300 calories, and more than enough for me.
  • Yeah, I didn't have any greek on hand and so I did almonds for the protein. I'm vegetarian so I add it where I can!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    I aim for 600 kcal at breakfast (seeing as my fitbit thinks I've burnt that much by the time I leave the house in the morning!), so overnight oats have been a godsend!

I add dried fruit, nuts and cocoa powder. It's such an amazingly yummy, no hassle in the morning breakfast. I wish I'd heard of it years ago!
  • spanglevie
    spanglevie Posts: 63 Member
    I LOVE overnight oats and have it most days for breakfast.

My recipe is

30g Oats
    50g Total 0% yogurt
    100ml Almond or Light Soya Milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    Sprinkling of cinnamon (optional)

Thats my basic mix and thats 260 calories, 25 carbs, 5g fat, 29g Protein

Then add whatever fruit, nuts etc additional. My usual is 100g strawberries and 50g blueberries.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    I've been seeing these crazy overnight oats (basically you put classic rolled oats in yogurt/milk and let it sit overnight, add fruit in the morning and you're good to go) all over the internet. I finally made some last night and they were pretty good, but they're a HUGE calorie drain, almost 600 calories for breakfast?!

Has anyone else done this? Do you just suck it up and have a big breakfast or have you "lightened" it up somehow?

Well my regular breakfast is right around 500 calories so I don't find that awful.

That said, my overnight oats (that I often have for my morning snack) have about 250 cals:

1/4 c old fashioned oatmeal (20g)
    1/4 c milk
    1/4 c greek yogurt (0% Fage)
    1 tbsp chia seeds (10g)
    1 tsp brown sugar (5g)
    frozen berries

Mix up in a mason jar with a lid, put in frig overnight, enjoy.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    These all sound super! I'm making over night oats for tomorrow morning for the first time. Should be awesome :)
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    I tried them for the first time after seeing a thread the other day. I made mine with coconut milk and pineapple and plain greek yogurt and it was only around 200 calories- those almonds really beefed up the calories for you!

Also- I put my fruit in the night before and it seemed to turn out fine- I liked having it all mixed together.

Can't believe I haven't tried this before- so quick and easy and good!

I need to try almond milk- haven't bought that yet.