Need Cheap (no equipment or gym) Strength Building

Options
jjgirl76
jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
I am thinking about adding some Calisthentics to my routine so I can get some strength building. Particularly core and upper body. My standard workouts now include 5-6 training runs (alternating between hills, speed, and distance) - given the hills my legs are strong.

I am limited on time and finances (work 2 jobs).

What is your top recommendations for building up some strength?

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about adding some Calisthentics to my routine so I can get some strength building. Particularly core and upper body. My standard workouts now include 5-6 training runs (alternating between hills, speed, and distance) - given the hills my legs are strong.

I am limited on time and finances (work 2 jobs).

What is your top recommendations for building up some strength?

you can rent strength training and other exercise dvd's at the library. Otherwise the internet can give you all the exercise ideas you could ever desire lol. Plus you tube exercise videos, if you look at insanity style workouts they don't require any equipment but your own body weight
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    staple exercises that don't require equipment would be, squats, lunges, planks, push ups, crunches, side planks, squat jumps. That can get you started
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can use household items for strength training. I've heard filling water jugs or laundry detergent bottles with handles with water or sand make for good weights.

I second the suggestions above. I know exercises like step ups are good for your lower body (helps if you hold something heavy when you do them for increased resistance), and pushups and planks are good for arms and abs. The internet has tons of free workout videos online, or Netflix has a workout section I believe.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
  • paulawolves71
    paulawolves71 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hi i invested in the EA sports active2 last year for my birthday you can get it for all platforms . playstation, wii , xbox comes with dino band and sensors . i love it because you can use it when u have the time and make up your own work outs weather short or long ones. or for more fun zumba is out now too for those platforms x
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Oh I love your pic;) LOL!!
    staple exercises that don't require equipment would be, squats, lunges, planks, push ups, crunches, side planks, squat jumps. That can get you started
  • drewols
    drewols Posts: 77
    Options
    Make some sandbags (cheap and easy) and google some lifts you can do using those
  • RogerKey
    RogerKey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started going to "boot camp" and love it - twice a week is about all I can handle right now, as I do regular workouts the rest of the days of the week. This idea of "no equipment" sparked my interest, and I found this:

http://youtu.be/LzC9Eovj2xE

Intersting workout moves, similar to what we're doing in the boot camp too, but without the equipment.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    You can do body weight exercises and use things around the house like phone books to add weight. For your chest and arms, nothing beats good old fashioned push-ups. As you get stronger start placing phone books on your back for some added work. You can take a kitchen pot or bucket and fill with rocks and use to do curls and side arm raises. A teapot would also work really well because it would be easier to grip. Squats and lunges are great for leg strength, just find something heavy, hold across your upper shoulders and get to work. I'm thinking something like a bag of dog food would be great for that, or maybe even a wooden chair if you can hold it comfortably. Look around your place for other heavy objects that are relatively small and easy to grip, another place you might check is your tools.

If you are able to save up a little and want some real weights, check garage sales and craigslist. Lots of people drop tons of cash on fancy equipment, use it twice, and then give up. You'd be surprised at some of the deals you can find.
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I second the sandbags. The legs of old jeans hold sand well too. Zip tie the ends and cover the ties with duct tape. If you can find an old tire (no sharp edges or exposed steel belt) there are tons of things you can do with it as well.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I started using Android Push Up app by North Park.
    I added 5 minutes of jumping rope (In 10-15 second spurts)
    I added 5 minutes of Hula Hoop (in 10-15 minute spurts)
    I added hanging from pull up bar. (I bought a $35 instead of $20 bc it had more grips i.e. wide, narrow, 90 degree etc, I am glad I did)
    My workout was literally about 2 minutes per day, but I tried to do it 3-5 / week.
    Gradually I built up.

3 months later:
    Jump rope 5 minutes
    35 Pushups with feet elevated
    8 close grip palm in chin ups
    10 dips
    20 squats with 25lb Dumbbells
    30 second plank
    10 "Diamond" Pushps (actually I just try; I cannot even do one properly)
    5 medium grip 90 degree palm chin ups
    10 dips
    20 lunges doing 15 lb curls
    30 seconds sideways plank
    5 wide grip palm out Pull Ups (Actually i just hang there. I can do 1 if I do it first while I am fresh)
    20 Box jumps (jumping onto 12" high box)
    30 seconds Yoga Tree pose
    30 seconds Yoga warrior
    30 seconds Yoga Half Lord of Fishes
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I did get a copy of this and have been reading it. I'm thinking this is a great place to start. Thank you to everyone that chimed in. Great ideas.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Check out

http://www.unique-bodyweight-exercises.com/

For a great varierty in exercises where you (almost) only need your own body