Broken Foot - Exercise?

Options
Hi all,

I just broke my foot last night while bike riding. I was wondering, I know that my other leg, arms, and abs will get quite a work out supporting my lame leg, but is there anyway i can work out parts of my bad leg? The fracture is the outer metatarsal on my right foot so the cast is boot-like.

Thanks guys!!

Replies

• nutmeg0686
    nutmeg0686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I broke my 5th (outer) metatarsal on my left foot at the end of May. It took me 1 week to where I was able to actually put on a walking boot (I couldn't even *think* of touching my foot without discomfort) and then I was prescribed:

1 week with 2 crutches and the walking boot
    1 week with 1 crutch and the walking boot
    2 weeks with walking boot only

I'm now wearing normal shoes with no assistance but am not cleared for running, jumping or weightlifting while standing (so no Olympic lifts or even standing strict shoulder presses) until the end of August.

I definitely experienced some muscle loss in my left leg over the course of those 5 weeks but the definition is back now and I really can't see a difference a week and a half into supporting my full body weight on my "lame" leg. Your pain tolerance/level may be different, but I would really follow what your doctor says to avoid drawing out your healing time and possibly causing permanent damage. An unhealed foot injury could really cause issues and pain for the rest of your life.

Before I was cleared to wear normal shoes, I did floor/bench presses, one-legged chest to deck pushups and weighted sit ups. I suppose if you're really concerned, leg raises would help keep your quads and hip flexors conditioned (sit on the floor or on a chair and raise your leg above your hip). This could also be done while standing by lifting your injured leg out in front of you or up and out to the side. My doctor also told me to "write" the ABCs in the air with my broken foot twice a day to help build up mobility and flexibility in my foot. This prevents stiffness and will provide for a speadier recovery as you will not have lost total control or muscle memory in your foot.

Now that I'm cleared to wear footwear that allows me to return to my gym, I am doing pull ups, push ups (though still with one leg because the flexing and weight bearing on the tips of my toes is uncomfortable), ring rows, pistols (one-legged squats), air squats, situps, handstand holds, rowing on a Concept2 rower, swimming and bike riding.

Hope you have a quick and easy recovery! :)
  • Blubird607
    Blubird607 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!! This is really helpful. I'm going to the podiatrist tomorrow and I'm expecting pretty similar timing as you although my break is a little bit weird so I'm praying I don't have to have surgery.
    Thanks for your advice and for sharing your story with me = )
  • nutmeg0686
    nutmeg0686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome. A broken foot is a bummer. It's frustrating to not be able to do the simplest of things. Crossing my fingers you don't require surgery!
  • Blubird607
    Blubird607 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No surgery! I have a boot and can put some weight on it but I'll probably be using crutches for the next week or two. It's a relief but still a huge pain in the *kitten*. Like you said, the simplest things are hard or not possible = (
  • sin7877
    sin7877 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel :(... I broke my left foot probably about 4 or 5 months ago. I am not sure when exactly i did it, I never had a moment of oh crap i just broke my foot! My foot never really hurt bad. Just when i worked out it always hurt afterwards but i figured it was my shoes or the high impact jumping around! So for about 2 months i was just constantly icing it. I finally went to my regular physician and she diagnosed me with plantar fascitis and said my feet were extremely flat that i needed shoe inserts. So i ran right out and got inserts..I then started insanity :).. Day 6 of insanity my foot hurt so bad i made an appt with an actual foot dr. Went had an xray everything looked good so he sent me for a bone scan, and there it was (not sure what bone it is) the bone on the top of my foot behind my middle toe. So he put me in a boot had that on 6 weeks went this past friday for my xray and NOTHING...Zero healing done :(... So now im in a cast and crutches until August 6th... I'm miserable!!! I have let my eating get off track b/c i havent been able to work out so i kind of adapted the mentality of whats the point... But im getting my eating back on track today and will just hope the next 30 days goes quick and when i go back on Aug 6th it will have healed and I can get on with my life!!!
    Good luck to you and i truly hope your boot works :)