Skirt/Dress shape and length for short ladies?

Options
Papillon22
Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
Hi there,
after a decade of not wearing skirts or dresses, I'm seriously considering buying some, but I have no clue as to what would be flattering. I'm 5'3". What shape and length would be most flattering for me? (I'm seriously fashion-challenged to boot).
Thanks!

Edit to add: hourglass figure!

Replies

• Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, but kind of a slim hourglass; you didn't mention your shape.

I go full length, very short, or just above/ hitting the knee for more modest work stuff. Mid calf doesn't look good; it makes me look shorter.

Oh, and for full lenth I like the maxi dress floaty style, knee length is always a fitted pencil skirt, and very short is either a mini pencil or pleated.

Okay, if you're an hourglass, you should be able to rock a knee length( or just below the knee) hip hugging pencil skirt and look sexy as hell :)
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I usualy do knee length skirts. The long ones make me look funny as I'm only 5 ft 4. That way you show some leg (sexy!) and your butt's not haning out. (trashy!)
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", I wear 50s style, flared skirts and dresses. to the knee with heels or flats.

Also Pencil skirts to the knee, high waisted. Wear with a blouse or t-shirt and a belt on the waist to really show off your hourglass figure! :D

ETA: I'm also hourglass and these styles really do show of your figure! :)
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Knee length. A line or pencil. This gives you a cleaner body line and makes you appear taller
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    I don't know if it's so much the shape or length of my dresses and skirts but I manage to make them all work rocking 5in heels :laugh: But I love pencil skirts!

I'm 5'3 and have an hourglass shape as well! I'm all leg though.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 (or so we'll say...) and I find that knee length or higher works best for me. Longer lengths either make me look like I'm drowning or like I've cut myself off mid-calf. I love pencil skirts or a-line!!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    As a perpetually short person (5'1.5")... or vertically challanged if you will...

I prefer the classic A-line and Sheath dresses.. I have the most awesome german birthin' hips and the big boobs to match though... I do like the knee length pencil skirts as well...
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I go short :) If you are happy with your legs, then wearing a shorter skirt will make you look a bit more proportioned. Overly flared skirts give you too much of a bell shape, fitted ones are alway flattering.

Oops. I'm 5'2. Ish. :/
  • saamantha
    saamantha Posts: 74
    Options
    I'd like to repeat everything ohmydaze said :)
    I'm 4'11 and wear flowy maxi skirts, high-waisted flouncy skirts, or a shorter, slightly above-the-knee bodycon skirt. Belts really help cinch in your waist and make you look a bit taller. Anything that hits me mid-calf makes me look shorter and wider than I am.
  • Ashatack
    Ashatack Posts: 41
    Options
    Just above knee length, maybe with a high waist. Halter toped dresses work wonders. I like dresses tight around the chest and lose through the mid section and bottom hitting just above the knee
  • bholmes21
    bholmes21 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I wear maxi dresses short dresses and below the knee! It's all about what you feel comfortable in and how the shape flatters your body. I tend to go toward pencil skirts gives a longer leaner look. Also, I like high waisted things as it highlisghts my smallest part making me look smaller.

If you're like me and have muscular legs (i still have some saddle bags) I often wear a flowier skirt or dress (think A-Line) since it pulls way from my body at the part that I am still uncomfortable with.

I suggest going to try things on and see what you feel beautiful in. If a dress or an outfit makes you look and feel beautiful don't pass it up!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I wear maxi dresses short dresses and below the knee! It's all about what you feel comfortable in and how the shape flatters your body. I tend to go toward pencil skirts gives a longer leaner look. Also, I like high waisted things as it highlisghts my smallest part making me look smaller.

If you're like me and have muscular legs (i still have some saddle bags) I often wear a flowier skirt or dress (think A-Line) since it pulls way from my body at the part that I am still uncomfortable with.

I suggest going to try things on and see what you feel beautiful in. If a dress or an outfit makes you look and feel beautiful don't pass it up!

I have a friends that is shorter and smaller than me and she looks great in maxi dresses... so I have to agree with this.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and the length I like best is a few inches above my knee. Hitting right at the knee looks awkward on me, and hitting mid-calf is just not good. Long, maxi skirts/dresses are also nice, I've recently discovered - I always thought I couldn't pull them off (especially the maxi dresses - they look SO tall on the racks!), but I tried on a few recently and it works! I also find asymmetrical hems appealing.
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 -- I have found if I am buying a pencil skirt, if I go up one size (for example, from a 6 to an 8) and then buy it in petite, the length fits me MUCH better.
  • mrsknotts
    mrsknotts Posts: 115
    Options
    I really like Ann taylor/ the loft they have a great petite selection which seems to work for my short pearshaped figure
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I love stalking dresses on modcloth.com, but I have yet to order one.

I did try on a couple cute sundresses at Target yesterday. However while they were cute ON the rack, they were NOT cute on my body. The skirt was to poofy. The top part was cute I thought!

IMAG0606.jpg

ETA: F you, flickr. Photobucket FTW.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    after a decade of not wearing skirts or dresses, I'm seriously considering buying some, but I have no clue as to what would be flattering. I'm 5'3". What shape and length would be most flattering for me? (I'm seriously fashion-challenged to boot).
    Thanks!

Edit to add: hourglass figure!

I'm a 5'3" hourglass and pretty much all shapes and lengths work. It really depends on the skirt itself. I wear pencil and A-line and everything in between. I wear maxi, tea-length and mini. If you like something, try it on and see how it works.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I prefer very short dresses. I have great legs and love to show them off.

Also if you're high waisted like me not all empire dresses will look good on you. Some of them make me look like I'm pregnant.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the ideas. Now I have somewhere to start!

MN: I think you look pretty cute in that dress!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I love stalking dresses on modcloth.com, but I have yet to order one.

I did try on a couple cute sundresses at Target yesterday. However while they were cute ON the rack, they were NOT cute on my body. The skirt was to poofy. The top part was cute I thought!

Hey Minny Girl! I love your profile...hotdish and Target! Oh yah, sure.............

And I'm a short person, too. I find that dresses just slightly above the knee work best on me..............I'm not fond of the maxi-dress look (um, I wore them about 40 years ago, though ;) Everything old is new again!!! lol.

And how about CARPRIS, short ladies! They always hover around my ankles.........and I don't know about petites, they just never FIT me right.

The challenges of shortness :wink: :wink: