couch to 5k questions?

Options
Hello all,
I've recently decided that I'm going to start the couch to 5k. I have to wait to get paid again before I can start thought because I want to buy some new work out clothes and get new running shoes. is there anything i should keep in mind going into this? any tips or advice you can give me about it, if you've done it already? whatever you think would be helpful to know, please share!:smile:

thanks for your help!! :wink: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ZeldaCat
    Options
    I would like to start this program as well. Are you going to be running outdoors or on a treadmill? When do you think you will be starting? Perhaps we can do it together...
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Mid October, I started running after a pretty sedentary life. This morning I ran 2 miles...
    I have been building up and following my own plan, but it is basically like couch to 5K, except that I sometimes pushed a bit more... I started out first day running 1 minute and then walking 3 minutes or so and then next day 1.5 minutes or so till by the end of the week I was doing 3 minutes running (which is actually around a 1/4 mile!) and 4-5 minutes walking (which, walking, is about 1/4 mile----and that soon became too much walking, which meant I could run 5 minutes and walk 3...). I did walking running for a month, almost exactly, and then realized that when I ran I felt great, but when stopping to do my walking I found it SO hard to start running again and feel good. So the next day I just told myself "No stopping---just slow down" and I set my stop watch and ran the distance I knew I could (1.5 mi) and stopped and looked at the clock and I had run 20 minutes without stopping.
    That was last week--- this morning, like I said, I ran 2 miles without stopping.
    The most important thing is to get out there and do it. I have a running partner and she wants this as much as I do, so we push each other :) When I was starting I posted something a lot like you and someone wrote back and said something that changed everything for me... she said "No excuses--just do it" That is the secret to success....
    I hope that helps...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If you're ultimate goal is to run in a 5K race, I suggest you train outside. If for no other reason than that's where they run the races. And it's just a better work out.

Just do what the program says. Take two days off in between weeks. Don't worry if you have to repeat a week. And you will be fine, and amazed at the results.

I don't think your clothes or shoes matter the first week anyway. Start today!
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I started the couch to 5k in september. My advise is stick to it. I had not run so much as to the end of the driveway before I started this and its only been 2 months and I now run 3 miles 3 times a week and I did my first 5k Nov. 7th
    I would invest in the shoes first, for me this helps with knees and my joints. I did notice that I started "chaffing" under my arm pits from certain shirts that was wearing so I have also modified that.

I would also check in your area for 5k fun runs. I signed up in October for the one in Nov so I would not back out.....plus I told everyone I was going to do it so I would hold my self accountable. Setting a goal is key....it was so EXCITING when I did it....I did not care about my time....just that I finished and I did not stop once!

The biggest advice is keep going...you will be amazed at what your body can do even when you want to stop....just keep going.
    I promise you will not die and your body will do it!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Today I will be starting Week 5 of the program and love it! I have run both outside and on the treadmill and obviously it's easier not to get bored outside, but on the treadmill I like that distance and time are right there in front of me so I can see my progress. It's amazing how much better I feel and I'm starting to see the numbers on the scale drop again, which they haven't done in several weeks!

I personally don't have any fancy running shoes or workout gear, so don't let that stop you from getting started. Just have comfortable shoes and clothes!

Have fun and good luck!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I finished the c25k program and will be running my first 5k in December. I would say be sure and do your 5 minute warmup walks and stretches before and after your run. Those are very important. And if you need to repeat any of the days or weeks by all means repeat. The program is a guide line but it's not written in stone. :smile: Good luck to you. You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish. :flowerforyou:
  • aabelein
    aabelein Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!! i am so excited to get started! i will have to wait to get new shoes.... the shoes i have now are old and have holes in the heals so i really do need to wait for new ones. :tongue: but thanks again for all your advice!!:smile: