HRM question

Options
I am looking into buying a Heart Rate Monitor and had some questions. Are the ones that are just watches as accurate as the ones with the straps? I'm afraid of buying the strap one because I have a feeling the strap won't fit me. Thanks for any insight on these products!

Replies

• soymilkcoffee
    Options
    Generally speaking, the HRM with the chest strap will be more accurate than a watch. I wish it wasn't the case because I hate the straps. :(
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the watch is the receiver for the transmitter in the strap. They're the best.

There are some pulse monitors like watches where you put your finger on them for an intermittent reading. Not aware of any watch types that are continuous. The straps come in different sizes BTW.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    The straps are adjustable and can be ordered in various sizes, like said above. You can also just put the sensor bar underneath your bra band, without the strap itself. If your bra is not something dainty, it'll probably stay in place.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Polar do a bra with sensors built in. Looks a bit architectural TBH but may appeal.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I've seen those, too. And bras with a slot for inserting the HRM thingy, with holes for the sensors. I think someone could easily butcher up any beefy sports bra to make it like that, and save a bunch of money. :smile:
  • case87
    case87 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. I spent a little more, but wanted to make sure it worked and would last. I have the strap and I have quite a bit of room. It's adjustable. The ends are a hook and a loop (like some bikini tops- not that I've ever fit in to one! HA!), so if you had to add on to it, it would be easily done. If you want, I can take a measurement of it at it's longest and send that to you.

From what I've read, the ones with the strap are better than just the watches that you touch throughout your workout. I researched this until I was blue in the face when I got mine. The watches are nice, and they are much more accurate than the calories on here, but here's what I've found are the problems:

1. If you are partially through your workout, and touch it with a heart rate of 145, it will start to configure the calories burned at 145. Even if you go in to a more intense workout, and your heart rate goes up to 170, it's still only counting it at 145, until you touch it again. The strap on the HRMs continue to take your heart rate, as there are little sensor pads on the back of the front portion of the strap.

2. I've also heard that people have problems getting the watches to read. I read one post where the woman had to stop her workout for several seconds each time she wanted to read her heart rate, which in turn caused her heart rate to slow down. She even said there were times that she frequently would have to try to get it to read 3 or 4 times, and then she'd be paused for 30-45 seconds.

The only other thing I have to add is that if you get the strap, make sure you wash it regularly! I've seen a lot of posts where people weren't getting it to read anymore. They washed it with their laundry (don't dry it!), and it worked again.

I hope this helps. Sorry about the ramble!
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Don't buy a New Balance wrist HRM....I hated mine!!! It lasted for only about 3-4 months. Today, I purchased a New Balance N4 strap....I preferred the Polar, but Target didn't have any and felt kind of overwhelmed spending $85 on Polar at a sporting goods store. Hope I purchased something better today.