How long do you think???

I went walking last week and that afternoon my hip was killing me. I went back and forth between ice and heating pad but I'm still in pain, 6 days later. I guess I didn't stretch enough, I'm not sure. I get knee pain from time to time so I know what to do for that but my hip is new. Can anyone guess how long before it'll stop hurting? I haven't been able to exercise right and it's starting to irritate me. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    I went walking last week and that afternoon my hip was killing me. I went back and forth between ice and heating pad but I'm still in pain, 6 days later. I guess I didn't stretch enough, I'm not sure. I get knee pain from time to time so I know what to do for that but my hip is new. Can anyone guess how long before it'll stop hurting? I haven't been able to exercise right and it's starting to irritate me. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Still in pain after 6 days...? Time to go see a doctor to make sure there is no damage.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member

Still in pain after 6 days...? Time to go see a doctor to make sure there is no damage.

Yup- go see a doctor to make sure you didn't seriously hurt anything... Just FYI, if you have knee pain, you might be walking funny which is causing your hip to hurt too.

A couple years ago I had really bad plantar facitiis and my stride was very off which caused me to walk weird, my knee to hurt and I ended up getting back spasms.

also, are you using an anti-inflammatory like naproxen?
  • RES2333
    RES2333 Posts: 36
    Hit the pool. Low impact resistence from the water, or better still swim laps. Let it fully heal before trying to walk more.

But if you can do what teez52 says and check it with a doctor too.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Depends upon what kind of hip pain, too. If it's a joint, you could need a chiropractor. I've knocked mine out of whack before and won't feel better till it gets put back inp lace. Good luck...get it checked if you're not better soon.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 428 Member
    I've been dealing with knee and hip pain a lot for the past 2 years. Try Apercreme... I was surprised, but it really works. I also take Aleve and try not to sleep on my sides too much. I also found that the length of my strides plays a part in the hip pain. If I take quick little steps I don't have the pain after, but long stretched out steps and I end up barely able to walk the next day. A hot bath and a heating pad would probably help too. Going to the Dr isn't a horrible idea, but I've always found it's a good week or more for the pain to subside. I would also recommend taking a few very slow walks.

Good luck.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Yes, talk to your doctor... absolutely!

But it might be related to your hamstring - maybe a pull or some other inflamation there. Hamstrings can often be the hidden culprit behind a lot of unexplained pain in the hips and lower back.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    After 6 days? Time to see the doctor and or chiropractor.

When my hip went out about 2 years ago I thought the same thing. After a month I made an appointment with Dr. and after a MIR found out I have Arthritis in my lower back going into right hip. Which swells the muscle and pinches nerves and makes it impossible to walk. He put me on an anti-inflammatory along with a pain killer for the really BAD days.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 390 Member
    Go to the doctor... I had knee pain that lasted over a week turns out it was patellofemoral pain (runners knee) and that if I just ignored it like I wanted to do it would have eventually caused the pain to spread to my hip because it turned out I was flat footed (even though I have a beautiful arch in my foot) and it was causing my foot to cave in in a weird way which caused my knee and hip to pull in a weird way when I ran, walked, etc.

I'm in PT twice a week and they tell me to NOT RUN but stretch, a lot, holding the poses for 30-60 seconds AND to swim or bike.
  • JCam8383
    JCam8383 Posts: 77 Member
    Thanks everyone for the tips and advice! I wasn't sure if I should go to the Dr's or not but after seeing all the suggestions if it's still hurting Monday I'll make an appointment. Thanks!