Taking a break.....

Options
This is for opinions/advice ONLY - please do not bash me or tear me down (I am going through enough). I have been at this since Sept 2010, and I really only took a 5 day break when I was on vacation last year (June 2011) - as a result put 5 lbs back on. Since then, I have been faithful with watching what I eat and exercising - I have had my slip-ups but always got back at it.

Well, back in Nov, I became severly depressed and suicidal (thanks to my soon to be ex-husband). I was put on Celexa which did great for me mentally, but physcially, I was putting weight back on which got me more depressed. Over a month ago, I went back to the drs and asked her to switch me to something that won't cause a weight gain. So, she put me on Wellbutrin (150 mg). Well, I had a re-check last week, and she increased it to 300 mg because I was still showing signs of depression and wanting to break into tears all the time.

I am beyond stress with my soon to be ex-husband (he is trying to contact me through my kids despite the no contact order), my divorce (he is contesting it), my ex is trying to fight me for joint physical custody of my kids (from prison), my brother's wedding is a week from tomorrow, the bridal shower is Sunday. I am ready to pull my hair out with everything going on, and it isn't even my wedding. The bride is very unorganized (I love her to pieces, but she has forgotten key parts of a wedding that we are now trying to scramble to solve).

I am so mentally exhausted that it is causing me to become physically exhausted. I just don't care about my eating or the desire to exercise. I used to be determined to go 3 or 4 days a week, and now, I can barely make it once a week. I have been dealing with a headache for a week now which very well could be a combination of lack of caffeine and adjusting to a new med.

So, my question is.....has anyone taken a break from logging/exercising just to get life normal again? I feel guilty for not being as committed, but I am driving myself crazy with everything else going on in my life and trying to stay under in calories/workout. I just can't do it. I am gettin to the point again where all I want to do is sleep (which is where I was in Nov). Now, I am as emotional as I was then - I would cry in the drop of a hat in Nov, and I am not that bad anymore. I will say the scale is flucuating about 5 lbs between 148 and 153 at this moment, but it doesn't seem to go above 153. I didn't even get on the scale this morning because I knew I was horrible in my eating habits last night. After your break, did it make a difference? How long was your break? Thanks in advance for the opinions/advice.

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you've had such a hard time! I have only not logged/exercised for one week on vacation, and ended up losing weight since it was a Disney trip and I walked miles and miles a day, but I would still like to offer a few bits of advice. Firstly, I think if you stop exercising, you will feel worse. Exercising can release endorphins which make you feel better. The last thing you want is to make the depression worse. Maybe try a different exercise routine to pep things up? Secondly, I can see how not logging your food would take a little stress off of you, not thinking about hitting a target every day. I would suggest not logging (or weighing yourself for that matter) for maybe up to a month, while still eating and exercising reasonably (don't resort to binging and comfort foods--that will make you feel worse in the long run). Then re-evaluate?
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I have hardly logged a thing in the last month or so, since just before my daughter was born. Right now, there's almost no such thing as routine in my life, my wife's mom is preparing most of the meals, and my priorities are mainly getting enough sleep and changing diapers. :laugh:

If you've been planning and tracking meals for a while, you probably already have a feel for roughly the right amount of food to have in a day anyway. Unless you're eating from all the stress, you'll be fine to focus on more immediate things until you get yourself to a better place. If you do happen to gain a little weight in the process, you can lose it again.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've taken breaks before and considering what you're going through it's not like you're saying 'omfg, finals.... fml so stressed'. You're actually going through some crap and your family sounds like they need your attention in this kinda messed up time. i've took breaks as much as a year or two after my dieting got totally out of hand and severe... my advice is don't go back to how you were eating before because you will gain it all back. try to keep your body healthy for this emotional/mental stress that you're dealing with, but if you need to break from calorie logging i don't see a problem for a while.

i've also dealt with severe depression as well, and eating well/exercising does help my depression even though it feels soooooo crappy to do it at the time. keep in touch with your doctor and maybe look for a therapist or someone to talk to as you go through the process of ending this relationship.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you've had such a hard time! I have only not logged/exercised for one week on vacation, and ended up losing weight since it was a Disney trip and I walked miles and miles a day, but I would still like to offer a few bits of advice. Firstly, I think if you stop exercising, you will feel worse. Exercising can release endorphins which make you feel better. The last thing you want is to make the depression worse. Maybe try a different exercise routine to pep things up? Secondly, I can see how not logging your food would take a little stress off of you, not thinking about hitting a target every day. I would suggest not logging (or weighing yourself for that matter) for maybe up to a month, while still eating and exercising reasonably (don't resort to binging and comfort foods--that will make you feel worse in the long run). Then re-evaluate?

I will probably still go to the gym, but if I "take a break" I won't feel pressured to go all the time - I can go when I feel good emotionally/physically. Right now, I am so mentally exhausted that it is taking all I have to make it through the day. I like your idea - thanks.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I've taken breaks before and considering what you're going through it's not like you're saying 'omfg, finals.... fml so stressed'. You're actually going through some crap and your family sounds like they need your attention in this kinda messed up time. i've took breaks as much as a year or two after my dieting got totally out of hand and severe... my advice is don't go back to how you were eating before because you will gain it all back. try to keep your body healthy for this emotional/mental stress that you're dealing with, but if you need to break from calorie logging i don't see a problem for a while.

i've also dealt with severe depression as well, and eating well/exercising does help my depression even though it feels soooooo crappy to do it at the time. keep in touch with your doctor and maybe look for a therapist or someone to talk to as you go through the process of ending this relationship.

I am in counseling as well as depression meds. I have been going to a counselor for a while - partly because of the depression/suicide attempt, but also to help me re-build my self-esteem again. My ex was abusive (emotionally, mentally, and psychologically). I have deep scars from it that I am working on. Thanks for the advice.
  • angelic1123
    Options
    I took about a 2 month break because I switched over my anti anixety/depression pill to a lower dosage. I lost my honor society priveldges, due to being a few points of my gpa. & over all just wasnt feeling right and had no desire to workout or watch what I was eatting and it sucked because I was only 13 pounds away from my weight lose goal. I gained it all back and more, even got super close to my heaviest. I was 162 and my heaviest was 167. I am glad to say that I am now doing insanity and back on track to tracking what I'm eatting. I already feel so much better about myself. I'm excited to jump on the scale soon to see my progress. No one will ever understand 100% what you are going through, but checking in with self is most important. If you need to take time off to take care of yourself, then do it.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you've lost alot of weight, and 46 pounds is a ton . . . ! then you should weigh yourself every day. You should at least do that . . . Not weighing yourself will not help it.

See your doctor again. The best way to get care is to go to the doctor often. Daily headaches could be a sign of a problem that he could fix, for example, high blood pressure from stress.

Hugs to you!

Ruth
  • vcorbin01
    vcorbin01 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I take Propanolol for my headaches and I do not get headaches anymore. I also fight high blood pressure which the meds go hand in hand with headaches/high bp. Everyone has had a break and only you know yourself better than anyone else. If your body is saying take a break of logging, etc. Then do it for the sake of your sanity. Have days for just you where you can relax, enjoy the things you love (your children, etc) and enjoy life. You are a strong woman and I think you just need to give your current meds time to set in and I think once that happens you will find your groove and the weight will come back off. Hugs girly and just know I'm prayin for you! Hugs xoxo

Remember - stress plays a big part of weight gain, etc. Get something for those headaches and see if indeed you are borderline high blood pressure. This can all be factors to gaining deary.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    If you need a break take a break... If you want to keep logging but log at maintainance level so that you don't geel pressure to be at a certain target. I did that for the fall last year which did slow down my weight loss but also taught me that I can maintain and how to eat at that level. You won't be on a deficit for the rest of your life. You body needs to balance out with everything going on... you can always come back :wink:
  • Jenvan78
    Jenvan78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing that you can do is focus on reducing stress in any way you can and work on your depression. If you are feeling like you did in Nov, or are starting to then maybe you need another medication. I've been on all kinds and can tell you that the one that was the worst for me was the Wellbutrin. It made me very mean and irritable and not that much better. You should ask about Prozac...that's what I take and it doesn't cause weight gain like some of them do. Paxil is the worst. As for a break, take one, by all means. Don't keep yourself in the 'I have to be thin' prison...just do what you need to do to get better. If you need to talk you can always message me. I've been through a lot of crap myself and lots of depression.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having such a hard time, I went through a bout with depression and went on Meds - I too gained weight. I took a break while I was going through Chemo , but I did try to excercise when I physically could because it made me feel a little better.

If logging and watching your weight is adding more stress to life for you now then don't do it. Try to eat healthy and do what you can as far as excercise.

Good Luck
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My advise. Take out your calander and write the date your going to log in again. Then stick to that date to come back to it. I would still try to exercise as there is few things better for stress releif. Don't forget that you don't have to do everything. Take care of you and your kids that is whats important.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I am in counseling as well as depression meds. I have been going to a counselor for a while - partly because of the depression/suicide attempt, but also to help me re-build my self-esteem again. My ex was abusive (emotionally, mentally, and psychologically). I have deep scars from it that I am working on. Thanks for the advice.

I'm glad you have some help. I've had some things in my past that really hurt my soul and self-esteem and i've learned it's just too much to go at it alone sometimes. :)
  • theycallmebubba
    Options
    Wow. That's alot of stuff to deal with. Don't beat yourself up. Most of those things are outside of your control anyway. Just remember, when you can, that you have a resource here that you can utilize when you want it. Until then, remember to breathe..:happy:
  • QueChulaYo
    QueChulaYo Posts: 71
    Options
    If you need a break take a break... If you want to keep logging but log at maintainance level so that you don't geel pressure to be at a certain target. I did that for the fall last year which did slow down my weight loss but also taught me that I can maintain and how to eat at that level. You won't be on a deficit for the rest of your life. You body needs to balance out with everything going on... you can always come back :wink:

this^^^^^^^^^

I am so sorry you are strugging, everyday is a challenge......finding your "normal" is balance.. support support support!!