i think i am doing something wrong and am discouraged

Options
i have lost 11 pounds - 5 since joining MFP. but nothing in nearly 3 weeks. i am eating healthier, exercising, drinking water. i am just discouraged. my dr keeps telling me it is very hard because of my hypothyroidism but to keep trying and eventually i will see results.

i find it very difficult to eat all of the calories i am supposed to have each day. Esp. on the weekends.

Replies

• shynquiet1
    Options
    i have lost 11 pounds - 5 since joining MFP. but nothing in nearly 3 weeks. i am eating healthier, exercising, drinking water. i am just discouraged. my dr keeps telling me it is very hard because of my hypothyroidism but to keep trying and eventually i will see results.

i find it very difficult to eat all of the calories i am supposed to have each day. Esp. on the weekends.

We all get frustrated from time to time. What does your workout regimen look like?

What do you have your goal set for? 1 pound or 2 pounds per week? You can reduce that further if you want but most health articles and books I have read say not to reduce any lower than 1200 calories per day or else your body goes into starvation mode.

It's hard to say without knowing more about you but also you want to remember that females are hormonal and our bodies seemingly betray us a week or two every month. We can put in the work and not see the immediate pay off on the scale.

Don't give up, it's a hard fight but not impossible! :wink:
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    if you open up your diary, it would be easier for people to give recommendations based on that.
  • mskimber99
    mskimber99 Posts: 30
    Options
    i thought my diary was open - tell me how to open it and i will... thanks:smile:
  • Solosesso
    Solosesso Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My home --> settings --> Diary settings --> set to public
  • mskimber99
    Options
    i figured it out thanks.
  • bbbsmama
    bbbsmama Posts: 96
    Options
    I think maybe you aren't eating enough, as odd as that sounds. You didn't have breakfast or good lunch, so you snacked a lot. I don't eat much either, but I have read on here that you need to eat.
  • mskimber99
    Options
    i have a very difficult time eating a lot... i have actually increased my food intake...just since i started using MFP to see what i was eating. i am not hungry until about 10 am... i used to eat really poorly..coffee in the morning, a poptart for lunch, dinner and that was it...now i am trying to eat healthier and make better choices and exercise...but am at a standstill...very discouraging
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The Thyroid is a very difficult variable. Just keep working hard and eating healthy. Lean on friends and even here for motivation and support!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your tracking? I just glanced at your calorie totals for the past week and saw one day under 600 and one day under 400. I don't know if reduced appetite is a consequence of hypothyroidism but if it's the case that you're not logging everything it's hard to look back and see how your deficit levels look.

It IS frustrating. I understand!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    if you can't eat your calories, drink them...there are tons of recipies for awesome smoothies and shakes on the internet. throw some supplements in there and tada!
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Some people with hyperthyroidism have had better success through trying different medications. I'm not advocating this. per se, just mentioning it, in case you haven't discussed that with your doc (or gotten a 2nd opinion from another doc).

Regardless of that, it seems like you might just be experiencing a plateau, due to eating not enough calories on a regular basis.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Omg, Im surprised no one has knocked you for eating m and ms, lol, sugar is the route of all evil you know.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Omg, Im surprised no one has knocked you for eating m and ms, lol, sugar is the route of all evil you know.
    I was just about to say that. And are you reallyhaving as many as you log. M&M's are one of thouse things that are easay to over eat.
    Mix in some fresh Fruit and Veggies to snack on. If your not hungry in the AM try a Protien shake with berries insted of the coffee.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You only started in June, patience! 5 pounds in a month is nothing to be discouraged about!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

You just joined last month and you've lost 5 lbs since joining. Does that mean you lost 5 lbs the first week and nothing since? If so, you should think about what changed once you joined MFP because it seems you were losing better without it. Did you eat less calories once you started tracking and saw them? I'd suggest going back to whatever you were doing when you had success. You don't have to quit MFP, just eat the way you were eating when you were losing.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I looked through again quickly just looking at the bottom ad Sugar was over almost every day. Looks like you battle teh same demiond I do. Sugar is a hard adiction to kick. Just work on it one day at a time. Stick with it you can do it.
  • mskimber99
    Options
    i am logging everything...probably not all the water i drink tho - am trying to drink more of that and keep better track and i measure my m&m's out... i started on this site because everyone i talked to said i wasn't eating enuff - i am at @ 4am - coffee, then at 10am yogurt, noonish watermelon or grapes/carrots and then 5pm dinner with hubby. and he is sicilian and REAL big about food. everything thing is food, food food with him..and i am a fantabulous cook but not a great eater, - i never exercised before and now i try 2x week to zumba. or go in the pool .

my pcp has bumped up my thyroid meds and my endocrinologist got pissed and said it is too much to be on so i really don't know what's going on with that. 2 different opinions. my pcp has given me vit b-12 injections and leptilift capsules to take - they make you feel full.. i don't take them because i don't really overeat..i am not eating enough.

so my calorie deficit is actual - and i have the m&m's because 1. i love chocolate and 2. i figure if i have to bump up my calories i'll bump them with something i love.

i notice the daily sugar is high as well but watermelon is healthy and yogurt is too and i got sick to death of carrots and grapes. i need something i can eat at my desk.
  • bigpinch
    bigpinch Posts: 21
    Options
    The Thyroid is a very difficult variable. Just keep working hard and eating healthy. Lean on friends and even here for motivation and support!

^^^this. There is a group here on MFP that may be able to help.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • mskimber99
    Options
    ty :smile:
  • eaepright
    eaepright Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I gave up sweets for 40 days, and I can tell you it is difficult. If you MUST have chocolate try some dark chocolate, and try it in something like a protein bar. They are sweet with chocolate, but have good calories. I really think that you are looking at adding calories all wrong. It is not just about calories, it is about the balance of nutrition. I work in food, I completely understand the not hungry thing, but M&Ms have ZERO health benefits. Luna has some great tasting bars with chocolate like coconut with chocolate and chocolate peppermint. I think it is your lack of nutrition getting in your way. I think they help me with my nutirtional needs while still making me feel as thought I am cheating.