High Altitude Training...

Options
Shannon023
Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
Just signed up for a 10k in Estes Park, CO., elevation 7522 feet! (D'OH!!!)

Anyone have any good tips for breathing techniques??? (Besides not forgetting to do it?) :tongue:

Thanks much!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Just signed up for a 10k in Estes Park, CO., elevation 7522 feet! (D'OH!!!)

Anyone have any good tips for breathing techniques??? (Besides not forgetting to do it?) :tongue:

Thanks much!! :flowerforyou:
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Posts: 71
    Options
    I would take it easy. And to be honest breathing in Estes isn't as hard as it is up in Breckinridge. But if you start to over exert yourself you will find it harder to breath. Well I hope this helps even a little bit. I wish you luck and don't forget to stop and see the scenery, it is absolutely gorgeous.

:flowerforyou:
    Kimmie
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's not your breathing that's the problem. If you've been running for several months or longer, you nervous system has actually adapted by controlling your heart and breathing rate so that your lungs fill as much as possible with air and your heart does the same with blood. The problem at high altitudes is that there's simply less oxygen in the air, so regardless of how much you take in, a smaller percentage of that will be oxygen. The best way to train for high altitude running is simply to train at high altitudes. Alternately, you could adopt the military approach of speaking while running which promotes more efficient oxygen use since you exhale while yelling.

I bet it will be beautiful though, good luck! :drinker: