Whats the difference between...

Options
An arc trainer and an elliptical machine? I did an arc trainer today at the gym. I plugged in my weight and age. It said i burned 400 cals in 45 min on the weight loss program. Usually i do the elliptical in the weight loss program for a half hour and burn about 250.

I just didnt know if one was better than the other. I also searched for arc trainer in the database but it said no results found. Anyone else use it?

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    An elliptical moves your feet in an ellipse.

An arc trainer moves your feet in an arc.

I have no idea why the arc is so much more of a killer, but it is. You can definitely feel the difference. 30 mins on an elliptical is a breeze. 30 mins on an arc is a hardcore workout.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Arc trainer gets more hip and glute action. depending on your settings it can feel more like walking up a very steep hill.
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I use the arc trainer and you burn more calories. I love it. The trainer at my gym says it is like running up and down the bleachers at football practice.................as if I ever played football:laugh:
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the difference is, but I find the arc trainer easier. It doesn't hurt my knees like the elliptical and I don't feel like I'm going to fall off, like I do when I'm on the elliptical.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My gyms have both and I love the arc so much more. I'm 5'2" and weigh 175lbs. I always put either machine on the highest incline possible (hellooooooo nice booty!!) and I burn about 10 calories per minute on the elliptical and 15 per minute on the arc. Mine has hand sensors that calculate your HR so I'm hoping it's pretty accurate!
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Im 5' 9", 209 lbs and burned 11.04 calories a minute this morning, according to my HRM, this morning. I did interverals of upping my incline. Every 2 minutes I upped it 2, til I got to the 20 max, then took it all the way back to 0 for another 2 minutes. Was on it for about 25 minutes.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    I use the arc trainer all the time, and I love it! I do an hour of it four times a week. Low impact and a great workout. Have you tried any of the cardio or interval programs? They're definite butt-busters. For logging, I create my own exercise and put in the program I did.
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks : ) i liked it and noticed it was easier on my knee. I tore it back in october and had to take it very easy ever since then. I did tell a difference. I just thought i was that out of shape!!