Kale

Options
I'm a total noob to kale. I just had some this morning for the first time ever in fact. I put it in my nutribullet. Question; what part of the kale can I eat? Just the leaves? Stalk ok? How do I know good kale from bad kale?

Replies

• nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Kale is like cabbage, leaves should be crisp and not mushy.

Have always trimmed the stalk so have never eaten it.

Lovely steamed, doesn't take long
  • funnygirl5
    Options
    Hi

I'm a newbie to all this, but what does kale taste like? I've been thinking of trying it...

Thanks
    Sam
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care for it. I think it's too bitter. Maybe someone has suggestions on masking the bitterness???
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i don't like it. kale chips are overrated too.

i'll stick to swiss chard for leafy greens.. and spinach!
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    Yeah, even in my juicer it wasn't great. Kind of stinks too. I'll stick to spinach I think.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Ahhh the lovely Kale. I love this stuff. The only way I'll have it is in a green smoothie. I tried it sauteed in some egg whites.. not so good.

Only use the leaves. Save the stalks for your juicer.

Try one mango, a few leaves of Kale and some water in a blender. It will taste very smooth and mango or banana are great at getting the taste of Kale out. I also mix Kale with assorted berries and water.

Kale is for the adventurous soul lol. Spinach/Chard are easier on the taste buds for sure. May have to work up to the taste. Like I said I can't stand it sauteed or straight, but dilute it with some berries or mangos and it tastes great
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I LOVE KALE! It's kind of like spinich but with a stronger flavor and it's more fiberous. It is good sauteed or steamed with salt pepper and a bit of vinegar.

PS... I like most veggies. Brussels sprouts, cabbage, all spaghetti squash... I've never met a veggie I won't try:-)
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My mother trims the stalks (they're edible but really tough, so most people cut them off) and cooks kale in a pressure cooker with potatoes. When you mash them all together and add a little chicken or turkey gravy, it's good comfort food and the starch mutes the bitterness. It's also fun having green mashed potatoes.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I love kale sauteed in some garlic and evoo. I prefer spinach in the juicer.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I LOVE it! A little raw on my salad. I make a (steamed and cooled) kale, feta, red grapes, and pumpkin seed salad, great in smoothies...personally, I can't taste it when you add a couple leaves to a fruit smoothie.

Like everything, you'll have to try for yourself.

It should be dark green, no brown. Remove the thick stalk. I just tried to explain how to remove the stalk easily, but made no sense lol. Try googling it. Enjoy!
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I LOOOVE Kale.

it is very hard to incorporate into your diet at first though because of the bitterness.

If you juice, add the entire thing to your juicer.

If you want to eat it, incorporate it slowly.

Do not try to eat it raw in the beginning unless you like bitter tastes.
    Cook / steam it for a few minutes and put some lemon pepper or other seasoning on it.

I started to steam less / eat it more raw as I got used to the taste.

Then started to mix raw kale with my salad greens until I got used to it.
    Now, kale has replaced all my salad greens.

It's a great, healthy green that's on the top of my list for most nutritious.
    You can also make kale chips at home, which I think are delicious.

Kale starts to go bad when it wilts and gets yellow.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Here's a kale tacos recipe that I love to make:

http://catesworldkitchen.com/2010/04/kale-and-onion-tacos-with-guajillo-salsa/

I add mango habanero salsa to mine and it's yum!

I usually put the kale leaves in a big bowl of water and kind of shake them around to remove any dirt that's worked its way into the leaves. I then hold the tough stem in one hand and remove the leafy parts with the other by pulling in opposite directions.
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I'll give it another shot. Might as well since I still have some, right? I'll probably split it up with spinach this time to see how that goes.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I fry some bacon lardons, preferably smoked bacon, in a non stick pan, once the fat has coated the pan and the bacon is crispy add a couple of generous handfuls of kale and saute.

Smashing with a roast chicken dinner and some gravy.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i don't like it. kale chips are overrated too.

i'll stick to swiss chard for leafy greens.. and spinach!
    This. I tried kale chips and didn't like them, tried it in my scrambled egg--yuck, but love spinach and chard. What's left of my kale is going in the compost pile for the critters.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Bought some Organic kale at trader joes a week or so ago, and decided to use it today without realizing the "Best by date" was August 2nd. It's not moldy, it was however a little on the "wet" side.

I decided to bake it and make spicy kale chips, and I'm just wondering if wet (perhaps slightly slimy?) kale that has been baked will make me ill? I'd rather not waste it and I really want the kale chips.
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    I have only made Kale chips. To do that you just take a piece, and slide all the leaves off of the stalk. The tutorial I saw said that the stalk isn't tender enough to eat..idk There may be a recipe using stalks, who knows. The stuff kinda tastes like spinach ha.