Anyone Else Out There Gaing WEIGHT?

Options
ARGHHHHH story of my life, why is gaining weight so hard :(
I actually need to know if i am on my own with this one..and if not Please Help lol (im laughing but its far from funny)

Anyways like i said if theirs anyone else out there struggling or has been there (or is there) can you please Please PLEASE share some tips. #confidence boost needed

Thanx

Replies

• imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we might be able to help you.

I'm not gaining weight, I'm trying to lose it, but in general, make sure that you're eating calorie-dense foods. Nuts, avocado, etc. Things that you can eat a slightly higher concentration of without stuffing yourself silly.
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    When I started counting my calories I did begin to gain weight but as soon as I stopped that and started my normal eating habits (which I improved with food-wise) I had lost the weight and are currently maintaining what I am for now.
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You WANT to gain wt correct?
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    If I could sprinkle some magic dust for you I would...

Edit sorry I didn`t read the post properly that you want to gain weight ...bad me sorry hun
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to gain now because I have reached my goal(gained 3 stone in total in a year)and a couple of things have helped me, I drink 2-3 protein shakes a day, along with my usual food. Eat healthy fats, if you drink diet drinks, try and start cutting them down because the fizziness has only ever made me feel full so hopefully your body will want more food from cutting back on them.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I used MFP to successfully gain about 14 pounds. I'm maintaining and practicing not logging until I'm ready for my bulking. I am 5' 3" and started gaining on 2300 calories. Your weight will stall eventually, and if you wish to keep going... just increase your intake, don't freak out like I did lol. Best of luck to you! And don't give up, gaining weight is incredibly stressful.
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The first week I kept my calories to 1,200 per day, drank lots of liquids and exercised quite a bit. I gained two pounds. I was frustrated and disappointed, but I managed to stick with my plan and lost three pounds the second week. I think you are probably trying to loose weight but put gaining weight by accident. Which ever way you are trying to go, stick to a good plan and eventually it will work. :flowerforyou:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Gaining is just the opposite strategy of losing. Figure our your TDEE and then eat about 20% above it.

I'd recommend a regular lifting routine as you do so to ensure as much as possible of the gained weight goes on structurally as muscle rather than fat storage.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I was! I'm taking a pause right now and will go back for anther bulk in winter, but I did manage to gain 9lbs in about 10 weeks, and have been maintaining for the last 3 weeks or so.

I was set to 2300 and I gained on average 1lb a week, I was also doing a little weight lifting, and circuit training, but I did find that tough as it meant eating 2500-2600 cals a day.

It can be done, you just have to find the level in which you gain at. But its not always easy, it can be frustrating! Up your protein too, add shakes if you need to. (and try to keep it reasonably healthy!)
  • lornaheron
    lornaheron Posts: 72
    Options
    I used to be like you, before i hit 40. You dont say how old you are. I could eat anything and everything, but could never put it on. It was a nightmare. If you eat big meals on a night time, when your less active, so your not going to burn it off. Try not to do the obvious of eating chocolate and crap, it's all just sugar and really doing no good at all. You want to stick to hearty meals, meat and veg etc. Going to the gym, and concentrating on heavy weights. This was the only way i could keep bulk on, you may be different but worth a try. You really need a good breakfast to start the day off, especially if you have an active job. I always have porridge oats, fills you up and lowers the cholesterol. Just don't make the mistake of eating all the rubbish, because even though you dont put the weight on, it does so much damage you dont see. I remember people used to scoff when i'd tell them, i cant put weight on. It was like they were insulted, because they were struggling to lose it. You will put it on eventually, just make the most of it now. :) x
  • harriott21
    Options
    Thanx everyone :)

Im 28yrs old and recently had a baby who is 5mths.

Iv been trying to gain weight since i was about 14-15 yrs old, but its taking its toll on me now, suppose i lived u to the theory that il gain weight after iv had a baby :( no luck... I did put on water weight and looked and felt confident and sexy.. then about 3wks later it had gone lol ITS SO FRUSTRATING GAINING WEIGHT.

I will definitely try eating a few of the things you have all said and give weight training a try.

thanx again il open up my diary for u all to see :)
  • pipsqueak12
    pipsqueak12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pipsqueak12
    pipsqueak12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi, i've just joined and i can totally relate. My diet is ok, but being at home and then uni doesnt help so my intake fluctuates a fair bit.

One thing i am worried about is the strength training aspect. I feel the most effective way for me is to join a gym. (Although ive never joined a gym before.) I think i would keep my motivation up, by emptying my pocket aha, but the use of heavy weights too.

What would happen if i then go home for the summer holidays and stop training?

Also can i add you as friends please?