what motivates you to keep exercising?

Options
I keep losing motivation to run, especially with studies and everything, and now i'm scared to go out and do it again cause i know i'm unfit after 4 weeks of no running :(
What motivates you to keep exercising?

Replies

• Valley83
    Valley83 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is the first time in my life that I have been motivated to exercise. In the past I will start then take a day off, which turns into two days off, that turns in to months off. I started doing Ripped in 30. I wanted to finish something so I picked a program that I could do for a month and feel the accomplishment. I did it 5 or 6 days a week for 4 weeks. After I finished I felt so proud to actually finish. I then continued to see how much stronger I could get. I did two more weeks but unfortunately I hurt my knee and had to take some time off of Ripped in 30.

I now started running and I love to see how much farther I can go each time. When I used to run months ago I could only run for a minute and half then walk to recover, today I ran for 16 minutes and I can't wait to see how much more I can do.
  • swfloridagal
    Options
    I sometimes write it down on a facebook page that I don't want to... then I go out and do it... and when I come back I wrote that I did it and it makes me feel GOOD!

Sometimes if I don't feel like doing my workout, I will put on some music and dance for 10 mins - 3 times a day.
  • katrina2002
    katrina2002 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Paying for a gym membership has motivated me to keep exercising. However I've only had my membership for about 2 and half months, and did not workout frequently at all at first. It wasn't until I started doing the group fitness classes the past few weeks that I've become motivated to exercise more because the classes are more fun than going and getting on the elliptical or treadmill and exercising alone.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    My MFP friends list motivates me.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    Remembering my attempt to go hiking about a month ago!! I never want to be this out of shape again in my life. =P I always make sure to set my alarm for the last possible minute, and now I'm in the habit of hopping out of bed as soon as my alarm goes off to start my workout or yoga before work. And during my workout, I tell myself, "I've done this exact same routine before, I can do it again!"
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a race or set a goal for yourself, you'll feel so good when you accomplish it.

And this is going to sound shallow but at the gym i am loving the reflection in the mirror, so i keep working to improve it even more ;)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My motivation: that pair of black jeans that I bought that are just a tad too small!!! I want to wear them soon!!!!
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    As someone earlier said, picking a short term program that really gives results keeps me going at it :smile:
    Plus I have a mega important field research course in September and I don't want the fact that I'm ridiculously unfit to be affecting my work.
  • sweetsungirl
    Options
    My motivation: standing nekkid in front of the mirror...it can only get better ;)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I have crazy cute Spin clothes. That helps.
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    hahah.
    thanks for the responses guys. I ended up jogging about 6 miles which i'm happy about considering i hadn't done anything for a month :D
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This is the first time in my life that I have been motivated to exercise. In the past I will start then take a day off, which turns into two days off, that turns in to months off. I started doing Ripped in 30. I wanted to finish something so I picked a program that I could do for a month and feel the accomplishment. I did it 5 or 6 days a week for 4 weeks. After I finished I felt so proud to actually finish. I then continued to see how much stronger I could get. I did two more weeks but unfortunately I hurt my knee and had to take some time off of Ripped in 30.

I now started running and I love to see how much farther I can go each time. When I used to run months ago I could only run for a minute and half then walk to recover, today I ran for 16 minutes and I can't wait to see how much more I can do.
    wow that's so good!!!
    yeah i agree with the running, i love seeing the improvement in how long you can go for, and increasing the distance slowly :D
  • angwiggins
    angwiggins Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started doing 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 in February. After about 5 weeks, I started noticing muscle definition and an increase in my strength. Then, I thought I would try running, so I started the Couch Potato to 5K program. After just a few weeks, I am running for 28 minutes, more than I have since high school. Seeing my body change, my strength increase, and the self-esteem I have gained keeps me at it! I haven't been in this kind of shape since high school, and that was 20 years ago!