Lifting weights while slimming down

Options
I understand that lifting weights gives us good muscle definition, and makes us slimmer. But what's the point in lifting when you still have a large layer of fat over those muscles?

I've lost over 40lbs since the end of February, but still have over 30lbs to go. When I look in the mirror I still look pregnant, I have a lot of belly fat. Is there any point in me doing weights until I've lost most of that fat?

Replies

• damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you continue to lift while you're losing weight you'll maintain more lean muscle mass as you slim down.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Read it, all of it, and don't come back until you do: http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)
  • digitalalchemy
    digitalalchemy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you lift, and you lift heavy, then you'll see fat drop off faster than just doing cardio alone. Lifting weights burns calories longer and activates hormones to stimulate fat loss. After my first few lifting sessions, I noticed a HUGE difference in my belly fat. I deadlift, back squat, do pull ups, push ups, push press, and have had amazing results in the fat loss department. If you do these movements, it activates more muscle groups and you tend to get a full-body workout, rather than doing isolated exercises. Find someone who can show you proper technique and don't be afraid of stepping up to the weight rack! It is actually a lot of fun!
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    If you don't use your muscles (and bones for that matter) you'll lose them (robustness and strength). So keeping with a full body resistance regiment it beneficial to bone and muscle not matter if your eating a deficit or not. Slows down / prevents them from becoming catabolic.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If you lift, and you lift heavy, then you'll see fat drop off faster than just doing cardio alone. Lifting weights burns calories longer and activates hormones to stimulate fat loss. After my first few lifting sessions, I noticed a HUGE difference in my belly fat. I deadlift, back squat, do pull ups, push ups, push press, and have had amazing results in the fat loss department. If you do these movements, it activates more muscle groups and you tend to get a full-body workout, rather than doing isolated exercises. Find someone who can show you proper technique and don't be afraid of stepping up to the weight rack! It is actually a lot of fun!
    ^^^^