Motivation that only lasts a day..

This always happens, my motivation seriously only lasts a day - two days max.

Then I say I can't do it.

Then I spend a week depressed about what I look like and how I feel.

Does anyone else have this problem ?

Replies

• Yes. When I first started trying to lose weight, I was really good about getting on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day. Did it 5 times that week. Then the following week, I allowed myself a day off and that day turned into a week, and then I didn't work out at all for a few weeks.

Now I'm doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and I've only missed one day since I started due to my joints in my legs hurting really badly. I think I can stay motivated because it's a pre-determined length of time workout and there are "circuits" that you go through so you're not just doing the same thing for a long span of time. It keeps me a lot more motivated than just killing time on the treadmill. =)
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member

Then I spend a week depressed about what I look like and how I feel.

Let that be your motivation.
    You don't want to be depressed and you don't want to look the way you do - you say it makes you depressed.
    I have a full length mirror in my bedroom I can't get out of looking, in the morning.
    I make sure I do.
    Don't depreive yourself.
    Do it slow.

Good Luck
  • lose3stone
    lose3stone Posts: 76 Member
    Hi

I barely make a day and it's totally getting me down which of course leads to ....... Yep, more eating.

Maybe we can motivate each other a little?
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    All I can say is, try to stay on here! Try to log your food and exercise every day! Try to make friends so you are able to support and motivate eachother! It'll pay off in the end. I promise. ;)
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    I'm doing the 30 day shred too and I think my favourite thing about it is that I literally have no excuse not to do it. Even today when I was out visiting uni friends and stuff I still came home and nagged myself into doing it despite being tired/sore from the last few days of doing it.

I'm usually the worst for motivation, have you tried finding something you find more fun instead of more 'boring' things? Me and a few of my friends go to cheap classes at the gym and stuff cause it's more of a laugh and it's way more fun than just running or reps, it's really helped me stick to it :smile:
  • ucpg
    ucpg Posts: 158
    Ah totally know what you mean! And so true about the 30 day shred.

I did the 30 day shred back in February and did a blog about it, and then I would post it on Facebook for all my close friends to see, and they would keep me motivated, because i knew that the next time I saw them at an event, they would ask me how it was going. It was great motivation, and I lost 7 lbs, and 6 inches in total of body fat from my waist, hips and thighs.

I'm not saying you specifically have to do the 30 day shred, but definitely do something that has a time a limit and that is public, so that you'll feel stupid if you don't do it. know what i mean? I want to try P90x next since i've got myself in a stump as well. Also theres a cool group on here called the 100 pushups challenge or something like that, but its fun and keeps you motivated.
  • kimberly2504
    kimberly2504 Posts: 60 Member
    I have had that problem before as well. Right now, I'm two weeks in and going strong. For some reason I just feel ready this time, and there were other times where the motivation wasn't there and I was forcing myself through every moment. That never ended up well. One thing I did this time, when I first joined MFP, was to just log what I ate no matter what it was, with no pressure to fit within any parameters. I wasn't trying specifically to control my calories, just getting a real, true idea of what I was choosing was adding up to. Seeing the totals helped to educate me and motivate me, because I could see what things needed to change and what things weren't as bad as I thought. And if I feel I really understand my choices and knowing what would be a better choice really helped me feel like I was in control, as opposed to just following a random plan that I didn't understand.

Maybe if you just start with one small change at a time? Something that you think you can stick with, such as eating so many servings of veggies a day or walking a certain time amount. Then just keep adding things as you feel you can. You are more likely to stick with it if you find success and encouragement instead of pushing yourself into a place where you might fail.

Good luck!
  • I once did have this problem. Except I wouldn´t say I get depressed about myself, just simply not happy with they way I look and feel.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    I had that problem in the beginning. And I'm not saying that the feeling goes away forever, either. I found that when I went on restrictive "diets" (slim-fast, atkins, you know the deal) it was harder to stay motivated. Honestly, what did it for me is the fact that I wasn't ovulating due to a medical issue that I could help treat by losing weight. I want to have a baby sometime, and I think I deserve the chance. I need to get my body right for that. Find that one thing that you can't/won't do without the weight loss and remember it every day. Also, I make a conscious effort to measure regularly, weigh regularly. I have my weight posted in my kitchen for anyone to see. Is it embarrassing? Yes. But sometimes I see my beginning weight (269) and then I see where I am (232) and it helps me stay motivated. It also shows my family how committed I am to change.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    I had more of this problem in this beginning of the logging and weight loss than I am having at this point, but I do empathize with you. I know it's not too reassuring right now, but it'll get easier and easier to motivate the longer you stick with it.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    I took a glance at your diary, cause I'm nosy like that. Other than today, you've been under eating a good bit. Maybe that's why you're having a hard time staying motivated. Don't make it harder than it has to be.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    It might be tougher at the beginning to get motivated, but after a week or two and once I begin to see even the smallest amount of progress, I can't wait to go to the gym again and keep it up. It gets easy to stay motivated once you get back in gear. Just push yourself for the next couple weeks and then you'll be kicking yourself for not sticking with it sooner.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Dig Deeper!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Take that little voice in your head that tells you that you can't do it, and drop kick it out the window. Then take that voice that pushes you to strive for your best and inflate it. Amplify it. Make it so enormous that there is no room for the negativity to return. You are worth this and worth every single bit of effort that you put into it! Keep telling yourself that.

It isn't that you can't, it's that you tell yourself that you can't. Keep pushing. You can be your own worst enemy, or your own source of strength.

You CAN and WILL do this!
  • redmcgee1
    redmcgee1 Posts: 14 Member
    Yes that is me to the "T". I do really good for a week or two and then something happens in life, everytime, and I fall off the wagon and seem to not get back on for months. It is such a mind battle. If we could get our mind under control then we would be set.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Motivation is a feeling....no good. It takes perseverance...Any time I have attempted weight loss, healthy life style etc. on a feeling I failed. It takes more than that and of course willingness.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    I do the same thing unless I have a really big "carrot" to work for. ;) The last time I was able to maintain my healthy weight (150-155) was before my wedding. I walked every day and it was easy to keep it up. This time it was because I tried to make a big hike to the river and just about died coming back... I decided it was not o.k. for my 21-year-old self to be so crippled by my lack of fitness, and that if I continued on this trajectory it would just get harder to start and harder to do anything. That was about a month ago. I also have the versalette to look forward to as a reward! ;)
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Nope.
    When I'm not seeing the results I want to see I only use that as my motivation to work harder. Keep pushing!!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    I haven't read the other replies so skip me if someone's said this already!! You only need to be motivated a day at a time - try to only worry about today and forget about tomorrow and yesterday, if you are successful most of the time then you will get there!! I can't think about more than a day without getting overwhelmed and freaking out at the size of the task I've set myself to do, I found that even a week was too much for me to think about - but waking up each morning and only having today to worry about has led me to trying for almost a year and to losing 18kg or almost 40lbs!!
    Make small goals and if that doesn't work make smaller ones.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    External motivation lasts a day if you're lucky.
    Internal motivation lasts FOREVER!
    We either have that drive or need to find a way to ignite it.

To light that fire, be honest, and answer for yourself:
    Why do I want to be healthy and fit? Discover the real answer, and attach great pleasure to that as you set your goals.
    Feel and experience that joy when you think of being healthy and fit.

And then ask yourself why do you NOT want to be fat?
    Connect with that reason burning pain that you can really feel every time you think about being fat.

This is the key to internal motivation.
    Few people can actually do this which is why most people fail in their efforts over and over.
    Take the time to do this, and you'll touch off a powder keg of determination and drive.
    Sure, you may have challenges; we all do, but you'll keep punching and reach your goals.

All Is Possible!