Food ounces/weight HELP!

Options
I know this is stupid but if it says 4oz of rice...I think of 1/2 a cup. Which isn't much. So is 1/2 cup of rice the same as the food scale saying 4oz's?
Me eating at Chipotle brought this question about! When I do the calories for the rice, it says it's for a 4oz serving. I'm pretty sure there's got to be more than 4oz's of rice in a burrito bowl!

Thanks in advance!:ohwell:

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    volume vs. weight. they are not the same
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8 oz.
    so yes, 1/2 cup = 4 oz.

Not sure if that's how much the restaurant actually uses though, i'm sure they're eyeballing it when preparing the dish.
  • mathematical2011
    mathematical2011 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8 oz.
    so yes, 1/2 cup = 4 oz.

Not sure if that's how much the restaurant actually uses though, i'm sure they're eyeballing it when preparing the dish.

No. This is not true. 1 cup = 8 FLUID oz. which are not the same as 8 oz. (1/2 pound.)

FLUID oz are a volume measurement, where oz are a weight measurement.

Restauant employees are normally really good about amounts they put in dishes. New employees often are told to use a scale/measuring cup until they are familiar with the amounts.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I don't know..... 1/4 cup peanuts is going to be different in oz. verses 1/4 cup of apple sauce, for example. The weight is going to be different with different things.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Liquid measures are different from solid measures. Four ounces of liquid is 1/2 cup, but 4 oz. of rice would not necessarily be 1/2 cup. For instance 1/2 cup of rice would be a different weight than 1/2 cup of lettuce or beans. Check the back of a bag of rice; perhaps that would answer your question.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    volume vs. weight. they are not the same

^This
  • thenicksters
    thenicksters Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I still feel like Chipotle puts more than 4ozs of rice in their burrito bowls BTW lol So I only ate half of the bowl.