Can't Handle the HEAT?! ME EITHER!!!

Options
Hey all,

So it's 95 degrees with a heat index in the hundos where I live and I do not have AC. Yikes! Working out outside seems out of the question...but It is pretty much just as hot in my house. I am a poor college student and cannot afford a gym membership to go work out where its cool. Anyone have any ideas on how to get a good work out in without risking heat stroke or heat exhaustion? I love the heat but this is just too much!

I am one of those people that NEEDS to work out to feel healthy and happy- but I am at a loss. Any advice would be really helpful!

Replies

• BLSaw
    BLSaw Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    if you just wanna do some walking, there is always the mall, just don"t stop at the stores!!!
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    How about going for a swim in a public pool?
  • heretoloseit95
    Options
    OMG, I sooo hear you,, I live in Egypt for god's sake. Its hell in here. !
    Why don't you search some videos on youtube? There are some cool aerobic exercises that you can do indoors. Even situps and squats are better than nothing :)
    Good luck.. I'm here if you need any support :)
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I don't have AC in my house either, and I have been going out at about 10 p.m. and running/walking. It's still hot, usually about 90 but it's a little more tolerable.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Go early in the morning, 5:30/6:00 AM? It gets to 110 here right now, but mornings are still pretty good.
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try doing what expats do in the Arab Emirates, they go jogging in shopping centres early mornings.
  • Gogretchen1
    Options
    I don't have AC in my house either, and I have been going out at about 10 p.m. and running/walking. It's still hot, usually about 90 but it's a little more tolerable.

That is a great idea. I would love to get up early (Cooriander) but I am currently working as a bartender..so early mornings aren't always feasible when I've gone to bed at 3am. I also hear working out at night is good because (as long as you do not eat after) its more likely your body is burning fat when you sleep rather than the calories you've eaten.

Thanks!
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    If you can't avoid it, just keep your self well fueled and hydrated. Dehydration is not what you drank that day, but cam be traced back 2- 3 days or more. Its a continuous cycle.
    Keep your self hydrated and take breaks.
  • StephanieRDMS
    StephanieRDMS Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Dude...I'm on the east coast...in VA...and its fking humid as a mother. 107 temps...with close to 100% humidity.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Wake up early or stay up late and go for a run. It's ungodly not here too, still 34 C (94 F). I'm sitting in my running clothes waiting to see what comes first, 9pm or sub-30 degrees neither way I'm running at 9. Drinking water like a mofo and keeping it under 5k though.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    any public lakes nearby? swimming is one heck of a workout!
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    How about early early am or late evening outdoors...you can do the same thing indoors..just stay under the fan!
  • Gogretchen1
    Options
    Thanks again, everyone! These were some great suggestions. :) Going for another late run tonight!
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I bought a pool pass for the local pool. I go everyday.
  • crittergurl84
    Options
    I feel for you and understand what you mean. I am new person on here trying to get it together so I can lose weight myself. It is like 101 degrees here and I am not sure what to do. Walking the mall is a great way to go or going to the pool when it is a good time to go and do laps as well. I hope this helps cause I am about to go to the mall in the AM and do my walking.....
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    WOrkout before or after it gets too hot outside
    swimming pool
    go walk around in college
  • pandoraparadox
    pandoraparadox Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I second (tenth?) the running early/late thing. Heat here in the Northeast usually isn't so bad, but we've been getting unseasonably hot and humid weather where I am and doing a sunset/twilight run really helps deal with that well.

Also, you could trade off high intensity cardio activities for activities that are more strength oriented and work your muscles more - that way you're not sweating so much, but you're still getting some exercise in (& burning calories). There's also a form of yoga that you're specifically supposed to practice in rooms heated above 100 degrees - I've never tried it but it might be worth looking into.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Check out the forum posts 6 months ago.
    It was too cold to workout.
    Just suck it up and make it happen.
    No excuses!
  • angelsingin4jc
    Options
    I agree with those that mentioned mall walking/jogging! I work at Old Navy and I see mall walkers/joggers (usually the elderly and/or new moms with their babies in strollers) cruising the mall! My mall opens an hour before the stores do, so they come in and boogie around the mall, take the stairs instead of the escalators, etc. It's a nice way to get some exercise! My husband and I have walked the mall during the weekday evenings and burned some great calories! Just make sure you save your window shopping (or real shopping) for the end! I feel ya on the heat, though! I live in NC. It was 100+ today. Blech!
  • angelsingin4jc
    Options
    Check out the forum posts 6 months ago.
    It was too cold to workout.
    Just suck it up and make it happen.
    No excuses!

I think her main point is that in 100+ degrees, it's more dangerous to workout at a high intensity. I don't think it's a matter of "I'm uncomfortable." It's a matter of "I don't want to die." :-)