Another Newbie here with a question?

BornToLose
BornToLose Posts: 2
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
:smile:

I'm getting conflicting information on how many calories I should consume in a day in order to lose my goal weight of 22 more pounds. I've lost 2 already (I started a couple of weeks ago) I exercise four or five days per week for a 30 minutes weekdays, one hour on weekends. I'm five foot five with a small build, (female). Would anybody be so kind as to tell me what my caloric intake should be? I've heard 1000 calories, 1200 calories, 1350 calories, and of course these can't all be right. Can anybody help? Thanks so much!

Replies

• Everything that I have read says not to drop below 1200 calories a day. You can find a reliable RMR calculator online and it should give you a good estimate, the one I use is at www.kimbenson.com
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    If you are exercising every day you absolutely need at least 1200 if not more..... Have you run your weight and height through the calculator under goals to see what it says you should shoot for?
  • If you fill out the info here you can chose how much weight to lose a week and it will give you a daily calorie intake based on you weight, height, and how much you want to lose a week. Go to Goals.
  • TattingChic
    TattingChic Posts: 14 Member
    Most weight loss experts say anywhere from 1200 to 1500 calories a day is great for weight loss depending on how fast you want to lose it. Dropping below 1200 can cause your body to start to "starve" and hang onto the fat instead of burning off fat. You may not hear a "magic number" because there really isn't one. Different calculations are based on different formula's professionals use for whatever reasons. All those number's you threw out sound reasonable for weight loss to me.:smile:
  • TattingChic
    TattingChic Posts: 14 Member
    (OOps) all of them sound reasonable except the 1000 calorie one - that's what I meant to say.
  • Thanks everybody for your help. I did try the tools BMR and got a total of: 1280. Wow, I found that incredible... I was on a different diet plan about 2 years ago, and it gave me only 1000 calories a day to eat. Needless to say everything was beginning to look good I was SO hungry! Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    I read an article today that said anything less then 1200 calories could end up doing damage to your metabolism in the long run.
This discussion has been closed.