Do you take any supplements/vitamins?

Options
I'm about to run out of my supplements and wondering whether I should buy more or try something new or just go back to taking a multivitamin. Lately, I take acai berry pills, cayenne pepper pills, and green tea pills. To be honest, I'm not sure if they work, but I didn't see any harm in /at least/ using up what I have left. I carefully checked the labels, and they are what they say they are. Acai berry extract, ground up cayenne pepper, and green tea extract with some added vitamins and about the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee.

Have you tried anything and noticed any results? Of course, I'm talking about in CONJUNCTION with MFP or whatever other weight loss, weight maintenance, or weight gain lifestyle that your following.

ETA: I take that back. There's a major difference in energy on the days I take them. Hmm...

Replies

• TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they work either, I take

Mult-Vitamin
    Acia Berry
    African Mango
    Q10 200mg
    Flaxseed
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I do:
    Protein powder (because I feel SO much better when I gt enough protein)
    Flax oil (because I don't eat fish, so this is a good source of onega-3s)
    Calcium (because most women don't get enough)
    Potassium (because I can't eat enough of it to keep the foot cramps away)
    Multi-vitamin (to fill in any random gaps)
    Psyllium fiber (because my mom left it here and more fiber is good, right?)

All of that either goes in my morning smoothie or is a pill popped with my morning smoothie.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I do:)

Multi Womens
    D3
    Niacin
    Glucosamine/Chondroiten
    I'm about to run out of my supplements and wondering whether I should buy more or try something new or just go back to taking a multivitamin. Lately, I take acai berry pills, cayenne pepper pills, and green tea pills. To be honest, I'm not sure if they work, but I didn't see any harm in /at least/ using up what I have left. I carefully checked the labels, and they are what they say they are. Acai berry extract, ground up cayenne pepper, and green tea extract with some added vitamins and about the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee.

Have you tried anything and noticed any results? Of course, I'm talking about in CONJUNCTION with MFP or whatever other weight loss, weight maintenance, or weight gain lifestyle that your following.

ETA: I take that back. There's a major difference in energy on the days I take them. Hmm...
  • 4myhealth77
    4myhealth77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Max CLA
    Womens One A Day Multivitamin
    Fish Oil Pills
    L-Carnitine
    Chromium Picolinate
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    If you are taking anything more than:

Multivitamin (with iron if you have a vag)
    Fish Oil
    Vitamin D
    Maaaaaybe Vitamin C
    Creatine or BCAAs if you lift.
    Something Recommended By a Licensed Physician for a specific need/deficiency.

..you are wasting money. Most of your nutrition you should be getting from food, and guess what...if you were ACTUALLY deficient your liver will synthesize most of the rest.

(Disclaimer: I don't really count protein powder as a supplement, just food honestly)
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    At the moment I just take a complete multivitamin.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Shakeology!! Has acai berries, green tea extract and 68 other superfoods in it plus one shake gives me 16g of protein, a full day's worth of veggies in one shake...probiotics that have helped me more than Align, Phillips, probiotic yogurt or anything else out there. Marked increase in stamina and energy, better mood, and better immunity since I started it in February and I really don't believe I woulda gotten thru 90 days of ChaLEAN Extreme without it or gotten the results that I did. Send me a PM if you want more info...
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil, vitamin D, super B complex and calcium... every other week i add a new vitamin so whatever looks good to me this week I will add probably cranberry or vitamin C
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Multi vitamin (pre natal, because I still have some)
    Green tea
    Fish oil
    Glucosamine
    Fenugreek
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I take a woman's mulit-vitamin and CLA.
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use womens one a day but the gummies - 15 calories and it get my candy fix for the day :)

and when I can't sleep melatonin

I wouldn't use too many after a certain amount of time on any one thing even something like an allergy pill doesn't work as well if you take it everyday for a long period of time

In all honesty with something like this I would ask a doctor. I used to take other things and my body did not need them.

So I would give you doctor a call and tell them what you are doing and they will give you things to help you :)
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Women's multi-vitamin
    Cinnamon w/ chromium - and I have noticed when I don't take this that my carb cravings are bad! Supposed to help w/ regulating blood sugar.

ETA I do also take melatonin occasionally..
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Nope. I get what I need from food.

http://gettingstronger.org/2011/03/the-case-against-antioxidants/

Get tested and see if you're lacking in anything, no need to throw $ at something you don't need, plus it's better for your health. ;)
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Women's multi-vitamin
    Cinnamon w/ chromium - and I have noticed when I don't take this that my carb cravings are bad! Supposed to help w/ regulating blood sugar.

More so is that cinnamon is a simple and effective appetite suppressant.

Your body is actually very good at regulating your blood sugar effectively unless you deliberately *kitten* with it; or you have an existing medical issue causing blood sugar irregularity.
  • MissCassieHughes
    MissCassieHughes Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just ordered Phd diet whey protein shakes and bars today because I'm trying to up protein and I've researched lots on it sounds good. I think I'm going to have to start taking something with iron because I stopped eating red meat since joining mfp and I was told I'm slightly anaemic so we'll see if that improves.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Multi Womens
    Chromium picolinate
    Biotin
    D3
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin D (Dr. prescribed)
    Iron (anemic, Dr. prescribed)
    B-vitamins (experimenting)
    Occasionally: fish oil capsules or flax capsule (I generally eat lots of fish and forget to take them)
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking it all and started doing Shakeology. :)
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal. I will for as long as I'm breastfeeding, and then maybe change things up.
  • happyapplegirl
    Options
    I take:

Vitamin C
    Potassium
    Magnesium
    Vitamin B 12
    Grape Seed Extract
    Raspberry Ketones
    Chia Seeds

Who knows what works and what doesn't, but I have noticed a marked difference in my appetite after starting the Raspberry Ketones. I used to eat just to eat eat eat eat eat, but now I'm not "starving" all day.

I am interested in adding a protein powder, and am definitely open to suggestion as to tasty ones.