Need to vent a little

Options
I'm a college teacher, and today I finally took a look at my teaching evaluations. There was a really nasty comment that I still need to lose weight. I'm shocked and disgusted and really depressed now all at the same time that someone would write something like that on that type of document. Really? On an evaluation that my boss will read and that will be a part of my permanent file. If you don't like me as a teacher, that's fine. If you hated the class, that's fine too--talk about that. I can take it. Teachers need feedback so we can try and do a better job. But why the need to bash me personally? So I feel bad about myself? Good job because I do. I feel really, really bad right now. And you know what--you little f-er, someday you'll be 40 and when you are, I hope that you need to lose 20lbs. And I hope someone tells you that your fat. And I hope it makes you feel like I do right now. Sorry--I know I'm being juvenile with that last part :smile: But thank you for listening (reading). I'm starting to feel a little better. Now, I'm going to go starve myself...

Replies

• deej87
    deej87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you :( sometimes people aka students need to take a step back and think about what they write. It's called a course evaluation not criticize the instructors looks.
  • wreckedredhead60
    wreckedredhead60 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Looks like that idiot student succeeded in accomplishing exactly what he/she wanted to do....to make you feel bad. You are an intelligent adult you know that they wrote that to get a rise out of you - blow it off! Too bad you can't give the little f'er a failing grade, unless of course you did, and that would explain the slam!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It's probably some little s*** that's just mad because he or she actually had to do some work in your class. In college, I found my best teachers were usually the ones people complained about because they were so hard.

Someone who felt the need to put something so petty and low on an evaluation is obviously a childish, unhappy person who will have a tough life.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a full time college student. The students that would actually attack a teacher for something personal like that are usually the ones who expect to fail your class because they are too lazy or too stupid to pass. I have found most profs will give you help if you ask and will honestly recommend you drop the class if it is really to far over your head so not passing is really the student's fault. But those kinds of people like to place blame where ever they can.

Now logically, you know that an eval like that is not going to mean squat to anyone who reads it. They will see it for what it is and will not feel this reflects poorly on you.

But, you can choose how you react to this. Either you can let the little brat win by getting upset and feeling bad or you can ignore it. Of course we want everyone to like us but lets face it, that is never going to be the case. Choose to not let the student win and quit worrying about it.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    To the OP,
    I'm sorry that happened. People can be so cruel. :mad:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    If you're dealing with a student of college age...remember, he/she is a KID (even if they are over 18) and kids will always find something wrong with everybody else's appearances...I'm a school bus driver and I had a girl call me "skinny b*tch" before when I had to write her up for terroristic threats, and she was maybe 11 at the time lol. She eventually became my biggest fan but the point is kids will always find something "wrong" with us lol. Consider the source and move on and keep your head up :)
  • jtoddmeister
    Options
    Wow!!!! People can be so mean. I am truly sorry for the way they made you feel. It's what's on the inside that counts.

1 Samuel 16:7 "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward apperance, but the Lord looks at the heart".
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yep, it was a personal attack. Don't give it power over you. Your size has no bearing on whether you can teach or not. From the look of your profile, you're already doing something for yourself. You have all the tools and support you need here. Don't let some little *kitten* throw you off.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about what type of college classes you teach or what the primary demographic of your students might be, but in my experience as an older student in a classroom setting, younger students who would say something like that were inexperienced enough in life that they consider "scoring"' on somebody a cool thing to do. As you pointed out, one day each of them will be 40 (and older) and whether or not they remember this specific incident, they will come to understand the pain of a younger person scoring on them one day.

Bide your time and smile. Age happens to all of us. You are doing well for yourself and taking charge of your body and your health. That is what matters to you and to those who love and care about you. In that respect, you've passed the most important evaluation on Earth.

:flowerforyou:
  • kathy68820
    kathy68820 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love it!!!! To bad you can't fail him/her....Remember, revenge is the best!!!!!
  • mrsstafford618
    mrsstafford618 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1 Samuel 16:7 "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward apperance, but the Lord looks at the heart".
    [/quote]

Amen!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I work at a college, and my goal eventually is to be a college professor in chemistry. Right now I'm almost done with my BS and next year I'll start my MS/Ph.D program.

Students can be harsh sometimes as I'm sure you know. One of the college professor's mother's just passed away a few weeks ago and a student said directly to him in regards to him cutting class short because he found out.... "I don't care, it doesn't matter what happened to your mom you should have continued the class". What a coldhearted b****. Some people in general are just selfish, uncaring, and like to bring others down.

I'm sure you are a beautiful person who is a great professor. I want you to know you have all of our support even though you don't know us personally we are here to listen. You can always add me as a friend, my name is Christina by the way.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    One of the many reasons I just quit teaching. Unfortunately, these occurrences (and much worse) are part of the norm now. Don't take it personally. It reflects poorly on the student, not on you. Don't let it ruin any more of your day; I can promise that student isn't letting it ruin his/hers.
  • poetgurl2005
    Options
    Have you asked him if he can say "Would you like fries with that?" It sounds like that will be one of the defining charicteristics of his future career.
  • SH08
    SH08 Posts: 5
    Options
    Keep in mind that people will always look at the outward appearance....its whats in your heart that matters. Don't allow cruel unkind words ruin your day, sounds like you have worked hard to get where you are and have the responsibility to teach others your wisdom. With that I have tried losing weight for years, I think every fad diet out there and lose all right and than it comes back on me with a vengence. I finally went to a Holistic doctor and she did a test with a Bio Meridian, it will let you know everything that is off in your body and than they find the homopathic drops to balance those issues. I have never felt better, my last visit to the doctor they wanted to put me on synthetic hormones......I said know and I'm so thankful I did, because my thyroid has leveled out and I'm on the road to losing weight for good. Also parasites that are all over your vegtables, fruit and lettuce (if you don't wash them in grapefruit extractw/vinegar) you will ingest and they cling to your organs and eat all the nutrients before your body can get any benefit from what you ate..and it goes to the bad fat you have accumulated since a child,,,,I could go on and on and on....research it find out why your heavy and concentrate on that and not on ignorant individuals that haven't had to walk in your shoes. Bless you...I will keep you in my prayers!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Most certainly from someone that is not mature enough to be at college. It's unfortunate you don't know which one and are unable to send a copy to his/her parents. I'm sure they would not be proud of what they have raised.

I'm sure your supervisor will understand and I'm sure they have seen worse from immature people. You can't fix stupid. You just have to, unfortunately, deal with it.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Have you asked him if he can say "Would you like fries with that?" It sounds like that will be one of the defining charicteristics of his future career.

Ha!! I'm hoping it's one of the slackers who had nothing better to say. Yeah, good luck with that.

Thanks all for support--I really appreciate it!! And I'm feeling re-empowered. :flowerforyou: That's why this site is so awesome.
  • blazingbabe
    blazingbabe Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunate that people find pleasure out of someones pain. It's good to vent! Remember where it's coming from and feel better!
  • PamL66
    PamL66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry this happened. I'm also a teacher. Some people aren't happy unless they're making others miserable. It's not easy to rise above it. I only teach second graders, so they don't evaluate me (thank goodness). Don't go starve yourself - the little snot isn't worth it. Keep doing what you've been doing. You've been working hard and you're succeeding. Me? I'd probably eat a quart of ice cream. Chances are it's some brat who didn't study and didn't earn the grade he/she thought was owed him/her. Knowing it's really his/her fault, he/she lashes out at you. If nothing can be said about your class and teaching, it merits a personal attack (in the small mind). Can you compare handwriting? ;)