Really need help and encouragement

Options
Hi, for a while now I've been unhappy with my body. I'm 5"5 and weigh around 161lbs. I want to lose at least 30lbs. I have a fat stomach and fat legs as well as pretty much everywhere else. I started my strict diet on Monday and have worked out everyday except one. In my workout I do about 50/60 mins of cardio/aerobics. I also walk about 50 mins 5 days a week. I am eating around 1200 calories a day and trying to mainly eat healthy food. I just really need help as to whether anyone has any tips and advice. Also do you think my diet plan will work and how soon do you think I will see results? Also how many days a week should I workout as sometimes I am very reluctant to do so. Thaanks :) I'm 15 btw.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda and saw pretty fast results from that, like in 2 weeks. But after that, you are just going to have to be patient. It sounds like you are now doing plenty of cardio, so you just need to be patient.
  • Pfeiffer24
    Pfeiffer24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just keep it up. Dont starve yourself.. if u feel like gettin a munchin cravin.. freeze some grapes... super sweet, and harder to eat fast cuz their cold, plus great for summer ;).... if you dont see weight loss it could be water weight... or weight gain could be muscle... take ur measurements.. its the full proof way to find out... good luck on your journey... feel free to add me :)
  • rukus1
    rukus1 Posts: 112
    Options
    Annibel, try not to be so hard on yourself. Make sure you are taking in your eight glasses of water a day and try not to be so strict with your food intake. Log in each day and be sure to keep up with your fat and calories but, you are young and you need to besure to save enough calories back so that when you go out with your friends you can have that small fry or burger. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • snaxandpop
    snaxandpop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Experiment with your diet and exercise! I had to change up the exercise after a couple of weeks as my body got used to what I was doing. Also don't forget to eat your exercise calories, you won't lose healthy weight if you are not eating enough. When it doesn't seem like it's working, change something, do a different exercise or change the number of calories you eat. We are all different and what works for one person may not work for the next. Your diet and exercise plan should be as unique as you are! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Make breakfast you biggest meal. Don't eat anything heavy after your last meal and try to do it by at least 5 pm. If you need a snack get some fruit or a yogurt. Drink plenty of water.

Biggest point. Don't try to lose it all at once. Slow and steady is best. You did not put the weight on overnight and it is not going to disappear overnight either. If you lose rapidly and don't fix the bad eating habits and go back to normal, the weight shows back up and normally brings along about 10 or 15 "friends" with it.

I did cardio every day but Sunday. I did not do the same exercise every day just changed it up. So just change the rhythm around on your workouts. Like one day walking, the next do aerobics, if you have a pool available go swimming.

Be patient, log all your foods and don't give up!
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    Definitely don't try to lose it all at once. Aim for a slow and steady weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week. Trust me, when I was your age I was trying to get quick fixes too and here I am 20 years later still trying to lose weight. Learn from my mistakes and make a lifestyle change that will keep you fit and healthy through your young adult ages.

I know at 15 you probably don't want to hear this because I know when I was 15 I thought I was pretty grown up, but you're body has not finished developing and growing yet so please don't try and limit your calories too much. Just make sure that the food you eat is healthy and not junk. Your body will put it to good use.
  • mishimouse101
    mishimouse101 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When you have the time, two hours of activity, six days a week will really help. Make it fun and switch it up. Walking, bicycling, dancing around in your room, skating, hiking to a cool view, swimming, walking a dog, etc. Find friends to do some active stuff with. You should also get started with some strength training to build muscle and increase your burn, 2-3 times a week. If you follow the food daily limits here you should see progress almost every week. Women's hormonal and water retaining cycles affect the scale, so try only weighing yourself once a week, maybe with your Mom/Dad or a supportive friend to cheer you on? You may have a few ups and down on the way, do not get discouraged, just keep going. More homework: do some reading up on healthy eating, help or take charge of planning & preparing a few meals for your family and if you have lots of free time this summer break, consider looking into doing some volunteer work (nursing home, hospital, animal shelter, day care...yard work & cleaning at home or for your grandparents). It is good to spend some time doing something for others and may keep you more active. Good luck with everything and have a fun summer!!!
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP; this is a great place to get results on the road to health and fitness.
    Losing fat is actually very simple but just hard work.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.
    You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I banish the word "diet" from my vocabulary. Lifestyle changes are where it's at. You don't have to starve yourself. Make doable changes. Use the tracker on myfitnesspal and adhere to the diet guidelines to lose weight safely and slowly.
  • mishimouse101
    mishimouse101 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Important tip-eat your biggest meals earlier in the day or plan them out for even calories all day through. You don't need as many calories at night.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Be sure to log everything. ;) No cheating! Do not drink diet soda or any soda at all. It tends to stall you. Be sure to drink a detox tea to cleanse your bowels. Give yourself a challenge: Don't eat anything from a box or bag! This means eating fresh fruits & Veggies, Meat from the Butcher counter. Buy fresh bread baked in the store, and be sure to get a good balance of carbs, fats and proteins. Also, if you limit your intake too much, then your body will fight you. 1200 calories seems like too little for a 15 year old. If you around 5'5" and weigh 160, your intake to maintain your weight is about 1400 calories. If you eat 1200 calories then you will lose weight, but be sure to eat back your exercise calories!

Also: Talk to your pediatrician and parents! You will need their support! As you start losing weight, be prepared for jealous friends to try to sabotage all your hard work.