Holding on to old clothes that don't fit anymore...

Options
Does anyone else do this? Pack away clothes that are too small and think..."I will be able to fit into those again someday". I have tons of clothes like this. I started thinking today that it isn't motivating at all for me. I look at it and think...when was I THAT small? Which sets off a bout of emotional eating because I don't feel good about myself again...which is part of that cycle...you know the one, right? Get bummed out over your weight, eat to feel better, feel like crap afterward, eat more to feel better, etc. Why is it so hard to let go of those old clothes??? They don't seem to be helping me. Anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I had a bunch of clothes that were too small. They're mostly not too small anymore. I'm also buying new clothes that would fit better when I'm in better shape, specifically because it motivates me. I think it's all in how you look at things. Every day, I tell myself that this is the least fit I'm going to be, that tomorrow, I'll look better, be fitter, stronger, etc. Use your smaller clothing as motivation.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I eventually got rid of all my small clothes, except for a couple items, and now those are even too big! You will get there! If it's not motivating for you to keep them then get rid of them. Once you are small again then you have an excuse to buy all new clothes:)
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I had put a bunch of clothes in a rubbermaid container, intending to donate them to Goodwill, and never did. Now I am wearing them. I am really glad I have some of those old clothes now. Put them away, forget about them, and when you lose 10 or 15 lbs, THEN go through the bin. Totally different feeling!
  • dlhartma
    dlhartma Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes! I couldn't take the depressing feeling of seeing all my nice clothes that don't fit hanging in my closet any more... It would ake e sad every morning as I searched for an outfit that fit.

So, I recently decided that buying a NEW wardrobe is more of a motivation to loose the weight then getting back in my old clothes is... I made a huge donation of the too small clothes and am participating in a community wide garage sale this weekend to get rid of the rest! I saved my favorite outfit from my skinny days for memories sake, but that was it!

Hopefully this timr next year I'll need to participate in the garage sale again to et rid of the clothes that fit me now and make room for my new well
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    right now im going through this problem but they are all too big. I love all my clothes and cant part from them and dont want to give away. So i sometimes try to wear them but then i get told how unflattering they are because they are so baggy. They are really cute and I paid good money.

I love clothes and while i like losing weight i dont like not being able to wear my clothes
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I used to do that, but no more. Now I don't keep the too big ones either ;)

When I work for the lbs lost, I get new clothes... that's part of the fun! Besides, the last time I was the size I am now was about 7 years ago. Anything I wore 7 years ago isn't exactly cutting edge of style, now is it? :laugh:
  • janetsnakehole
    janetsnakehole Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I kept a bunch of my jeans - including my favorite pair - and by the time I remembered I had them most of them were too big! LOL

Honestly, do whatever is best for you. If it makes you sad or doesn't motivate you, get rid of them and buy new clothes when you need them. (Meanwhile I have a pair of jeans that I bought on clearance for $7 and I bought them a size too small on purpose. I'm a few lbs away from wearing them comfortably and that's motivation enough for me!)
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I have several containers, each containing a different size. I'll be looking for my size 12s this weekend since I'm finally moving down a size. (Woo hoo!) I don't want to buy a new wardrobe because I plan on just passing through a few sizes quickly. I can wear some old clothes of a particular size for a couple months. When I finally get to my goal weight, I'll consider some shopping. :-)
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    About a year ago I got rid of my small clothes and gave up on it. Then decided to focus. Last week I took great pleasure in completely emptying my closet of all of my to big clothes and it was amazing!!! I threw absolutely everything out and went shopping. Now, I have next to nothing.

1 pair of jeans
    2 regular bras
    3 sports bras
    3 workout pants
    3 workout shirts
    2 cuter tee shirts
    3 work slacks
    5 work shirts
    1 skirt
    1 cardigan
    1 suit jacket
    pack of panties
    ... and new socks cuz why not.

I figured no need for more.. cuz I'm still losing. That's enough to get me through a week LOL It was liberating!!!

Toss that stuff. Reward yourself when you reach your goals with new stuff. It'll be a great motivator!!!!

Oh.. side note. Today we had a "jeans day" at work. I wore my new cute jeans and a cute fitted tee and a guy I work with said, "hey who's the new girl?!" Made this girl smile from ear to ear.

Good luck on your journey!!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I've been size 16-20 for the past 10 years. So my 16's were my skinny clothes, now they are too small. I still haven't bought new clothes yet, just wearing belts with everything. I wish I had smaller clothes stashed. Sadly I haven't released any of my "fat" clothes yet either.
  • invested73
    invested73 Posts: 10
    Options
    I had a bunch of clothes that were too small. They're mostly not too small anymore. I'm also buying new clothes that would fit better when I'm in better shape, specifically because it motivates me. I think it's all in how you look at things. Every day, I tell myself that this is the least fit I'm going to be, that tomorrow, I'll look better, be fitter, stronger, etc. Use your smaller clothing as motivation.

I like that way of looking at it...new perspective...thanks!
  • invested73
    Options
    I eventually got rid of all my small clothes, except for a couple items, and now those are even too big! You will get there! If it's not motivating for you to keep them then get rid of them. Once you are small again then you have an excuse to buy all new clothes:)

I bet going shopping will take on a whole new meaning...I don't like to do it now, because I shop for larger clothes...but shopping for smaller sizes would be awesome....
  • invested73
    Options
    I used to do that, but no more. Now I don't keep the too big ones either ;)

When I work for the lbs lost, I get new clothes... that's part of the fun! Besides, the last time I was the size I am now was about 7 years ago. Anything I wore 7 years ago isn't exactly cutting edge of style, now is it? :laugh:

I had that thought go through my mind as well....by the time I get back into them there will be newer styles out..lol I don't want to be archaic....
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    When i moved in with my parents 2 years ago I gained so much weight I had to replace my entire wardrobe. I got rid of most all of my clothes. The only one's I kept were what Plato's Closet wouldn't buy and I knew Salvation Army would throw away (I worked for them once and I know what they accept and don't). I went to the buckle and managed to find two pairs of jeans at $45 each...that's a steal for the buckle! Well guess what they don't fit anymore but they are my favorite cut of jeans like ever!!!

I gained the weight after buying those so quickly I could honestly probably take them back because there isn't enough wear for you to know they arent new. But I have hung on to them for some strange reason. Now I have them folded neatly next to my dresser and in front of my closest (I'd hang them on the door if I could) as a daily reminder of the journey I am on. Every now and then I try them on to see the progress I am making.

They are still too small but I know that once I get back to my goal weight they will fit again. It would cost me $70 a piece to replace them otherwise!
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    I did that a lot a while ago. Then I realized that I have never lost enough weight to fit into them and it become depressing.
    Also, it is motivating to be able to buy new clothing! I recently got rid of all my old clothing that doesn't fit. It actually felt liberating!
    Now I am looking forward to buying new clothing as a reward for me when I lose 30lbs.
    I am actually very excited about it!
  • invested73
    Options
    About a year ago I got rid of my small clothes and gave up on it. Then decided to focus. Last week I took great pleasure in completely emptying my closet of all of my to big clothes and it was amazing!!! I threw absolutely everything out and went shopping. Now, I have next to nothing.

1 pair of jeans
    2 regular bras
    3 sports bras
    3 workout pants
    3 workout shirts
    2 cuter tee shirts
    3 work slacks
    5 work shirts
    1 skirt
    1 cardigan
    1 suit jacket
    pack of panties
    ... and new socks cuz why not.

I figured no need for more.. cuz I'm still losing. That's enough to get me through a week LOL It was liberating!!!

Toss that stuff. Reward yourself when you reach your goals with new stuff. It'll be a great motivator!!!!

Oh.. side note. Today we had a "jeans day" at work. I wore my new cute jeans and a cute fitted tee and a guy I work with said, "hey who's the new girl?!" Made this girl smile from ear to ear.

Good luck on your journey!!

Thanks! Enough to wear for a week...you know, that's really a good point. Even the clothes that fit me now, I don't wear most of them....time to clean those out as well...what do they say? If you haven't worn it in a month get rid of it?
  • invested73
    Options
    I guess it does all come down to how those old clothes affect me. For some it's a motivator to get back into them, and for others it's a reminder of how far you still have to go... I'm thinkin I'll chuck em. Use buying new clothes as a reward for losing weight and inches. Thanks for your responses!!!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, no, no!:noway:
    I pack them to be taken to Good Will - Away and OUT OF MY LIFE!
    I will never need them again.
    Sounds like you are planning for your next era of weight gain.
    Get rid of all fat clothes :drinker:
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    By all means, hold onto the smaller stuff for your journey in the other direction. I dropped a fortune in short-lived wardrobe during the two years I was losing weight.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    <-- I kept my big clothes so that I could wear my pants in pictures like this.