Why is instant oatmeal considered bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• sdowler1231
    Options
    The downside to instant oatmeal is that it has a lot of the hull (also known as fiber) removed, which allows it to cook more quickly, hence it is more proceesed and does not offer the same health benefits as old fashioned or steel cut oats. Whenever possible, opt for the old fashoined oats so you get the cancer-fighting benefit of the fiber. It is easy to make a pot up on the weekend (I like to add raisins and walnuts while it is cooking, but apples or bananas are nice too) and then portion it out into smaller bowls to reheat during the week (add a little milk and the texture is the same as when you first make it).
    But if you are unable to do this for whatever reason, instant oatmeal (plain and add your own fruit to flavor) is always a better option than, say, fast food!
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    instant oats are precooked then dehydrated and much of the fiber and protein is gone by the time you reconstitute it. rolled are steamed then flattened but maintain most of the nutrients, and steel cut are the entire groat with the hull removed but the bran in tact. i likes them all but rolled is my favorite.
  • imcatbear
    imcatbear Posts: 38
    Options
    ETA: I didn't see the last post until I made mine. She explained it so much better.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    The only oatmeal I eat are the steel cut like in the picture above. They are the best for texture and flavor. They also tend to have a higher fiber count than the instant.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that quick oats are better. Is this the stuff in the can? I was just confused as to how they are so different.

because some people are afraid of sugar.
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    eurgh..in a can? that doesn't sound fresh! x
    I think she means that round cardboard container with the pop off lid.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    I agree with some of the previous comments...instant oatmeal is processed more and doesnt have the nutrients that the other forms do. You can't beat oatmeal when it comes to filling you up and giving energy. Add some protein and fresh fruit...you are good to go!!
  • FatgutBgone
    FatgutBgone Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat the sugarless oatmeal from Food City, I like strawberry and raisin and spice. I know that they say that the best oatmeal to eat is the old fashioned oats because it is more whole grain and the other types are processed.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    I eat the Active Lifestyle Instant Oatmeal in Almond & Cranberry.
    Serving Size: 1 pouch (makes 1 cup)
    Calories: 170
    Fat: 3.5g
    Saturated Fat: .5g
    Trans Fat: 0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
    Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 110mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 27g
    Dietary Fiber: 7g
    Soluble Fiber: 4g
    Sugar: 3g
    Protein: 8g

Ingredients: Rolled Oats, Whey Protein Isolate, Chicory Root Extract, Almonds, Dried Cranberries (Cranberries, Sugar, Sunflower Oil), Refinery Syrup, Honey, Cinnamon, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Caramel Color, Citric Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Acesulfame Potassium
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    http://www.coachsoats.com/

That's my most logged food. They cook in 4 minutes (though you have to boil water first) but I still make a pot and split it into 5 bowls to just grab in the morning, and nuke.