Need tips & advice as a new member to MFP.

Options
Hello MFP members!

I'm excited to be here. I found this site for my husband who will be undergoing Gastric Bypass surgery on July 16. He has Multiple Sclerosis and the surgery has been recommended by his Neurologist. He's going to have a very difficult journey and I want to support him all that I can. Plus, I won't be able to stand seeing him lose weight and I stay the same size. :happy:

I live in the Austin area having moved here in 1982. I've been married for 26 years. We have 2 sons and 4 grandchildren (2 boys and 2 girls). Richard and I are in our late 40s.

I would ask that you befriend Richard too, but I audit his site and add to his journal for him. The MS has affected his vision and he can't see well enough to use the computer. But I'll let him know that we're making new friends through MFP.

God bless each of you and good luck on your weight loss journey. I hope that we can travel together as friends!

Jonnie and Richard Stark

Replies

• mnomics
    mnomics Posts: 35
    Options
    hi Jonnie and Richard, Welcome to MFP!
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP.

I guess like anything in life - the more you put into it--the more you get out of it.

I had great success with MFP back 2010 - and now I'm back trying to give it a go again.

Feel free to friend me.

I wish your husband all the best. The key is to log your food - every morsel - every day. This site really does work.

:drinker:
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hello,

1. Keep track of the food you eat. Sounds easy but most people underestimate their calories by 50%.

2. Don't skip meals. The reason for this is simple, when you skip a meal you are hungrier longer. This will trigger something in your brain that will draw you to high calorie foods (cravings). If you can eat at regular intervals, that will help.

3. Low fat dairy that is high in calcium actually traps fat and keeps it from absorbing into your system. In other words you poop it out.

4. Protein and Fiber will keep you full longer and it has the added benefit of retaining or gaining some muscle.

5. Exercise has the added benefit of after-burn. When you exercise you deplete your fat stores, not many but enough that in the next 22 hours they will have to be replenished and thats where the weight loss comes in.

6. Any exercise is good for you. Take the stairs, park away from the building, walk to the corner grocery store, take a bike ride. Everything doesn't have to be an all out exercise attack. Anything you can do will help.
  • dawnivin2008
    dawnivin2008 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've been on MFP for 1.5 years (off and on) and realized that I lose weight when I stick with MFP! I have lost 59Lbs so far with 20 more to go to my goal. If you would like a little extra motivation - feel free to add me, and I'll try and help along the way! Good luck in your weight loss & healthy lifestyle journey!
  • jonniestark
    jonniestark Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great tips. I really appreciate the insight!
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202
    Options
    Hi and welcome you can both add me if you like, and I hope you both have great sucess in your weight loss goals. P.S. tell him good luck with surgery
  • thenicksters
    thenicksters Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I recommend going to the Forum for General Diet & Weight Loss Help and read the "LINKS IN MFP YOU WANT TO READ..." and "NEWBIES PLEASE READ ME.." posts. ALOT of information, so make sure you have time to read and get out your pen and paper so you can write down important points as they pertain to you or your husband, Good Luck to you both!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.

I have a friend on MFP who has MS. I'll pass along a link to this thread and your husband's profile on MFP.