Why am I not losing weight?

Options
I stay under my calorie goal each and every day... I don't understand why I'm not losing weight.
I walk, walk, walk, walk, walk all the time because I can't do most other exercises as I have injured my back.
Can someone tell me why I'm not losing much? This is so frustrating. I'm seriously getting depressed over this.
I even cut my calories down to 800 or under some days and that hasn't worked, either.
I've tried pushing them up to 1,400 calories a day, too, to see if that would help it.
Nothing is helping. What do I do?

Thanks... I am sorry. I appreciate all answers that are polite.

Replies

• Jeankyy
    Jeankyy Posts: 32
    Options
    You can't consume less than 1,200 calories.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Starting at the beginning, what is your BMR and TDEE? How much weight are you trying to lose, and how long have you been tring without results? There is A LOT of processed food in your diet; I see very little by way of fruits and vegetables.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    What are your macros? What is your calorie goal? How long have you been trying? Have you taken measurements? For me personally I had to switch my macros after battling a plateau for three months. I was even maintaining on 1000 calories a day. I upped my fat and protein cut way back on carbs and I lost twenty six lbs.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like to see my diary or want any support! Good luck to you . And the above poster is correct it is damaging to go under 1200 for an extended period of time
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    First for the positives: you've lost so much weight already, good work! I'm new to this but from what I understand, it does get harder to lose more and more weight over time so you have to change your approach when you plateau. In looking at your food diary it seems to me that you are not eating enough and your body is likely freaking out about that. Also it may help to change the content of your diet, at least a little: more whole foods, less processed stuff to help with your cravings (and avoid diet pills or other metabolism "boosters", that is not the route you want to take).

I'm a big fan of the Eat More to Weigh Less group and I think you should look there, especially when it comes to figuring out your TDEE and BMR so you can set reasonable calorie goals for yourself.

Keep at it, and keep reading and posting. You will figure it out.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Up your protein, to at least 100 g/day, it doesn't seem like you are getting enough.
    Track your sugar as well, and try to keep it low.
    Maybe don't eat out that much, or try to pick healthier choices

And lots of water
  • empressalexa
    Options
    so have you tried adding fruits and veggies to your diet? that really would help and watch the amount of fat and processed foods you eat. also water intake is so important. Have you tried any protein shakes?
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you're putting your body into starvation mode?

I'm lazy and don't feel like reading the other posts on here, but I'm sure someone had mentioned it.

If you're netting less then 1200 calories a day you are. And depending on your weight you may need more then 1200 as a net. Simply rule of thumb tho you always need to eat at least 1200 calories. Try to balance those calories out. And if you exercise you have to eat back enough calories for your net to be 1200.

I had the same problem. I upped my calories to 1350 and started eating breakfast and a protein shake right after my workouts. I also added snacks through out the day. That way I don't binge at dinner or after dinner. It's taking me some getting used to but I have finally started to shed some weight after being at a plateau for months

Good luck.

PS-You need to vary your work outs, maybe try to start jogging some days. If you really are not a person who runs perhaps you can simply walk varying distances each days or different routes (some days with a lot of hills, others without etc) your body can get used to specific workouts quickly
  • barbielovesgym
    Options
    I'd suggest eating more than 800, eating cleaner, and work out harder.

Sometimes it not just about calories, but where those calories came from. Cut out the processed and fast food crap.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    U can net less than 1200 and you will be absolutely fine.. but don't eat less than 1200. There is no point in that. If you can't do a lot of exercise just do what you can. Make sure that the calories you are eating are clean and full of nutrients... lay completely off the processed stuff. Cut the sodium out. Drink a gallon of water a day. Stop stressing. The scale is moving, it's just moving slowly :)
  • Skitti
    Skitti Posts: 20
    Options
    Thank you all.
    Maybe I need to add more protein to my diet.
    It is very hard to eat only at home at the moment and will continue being hard for some time.
    It is difficult because I am going through a very, very traumatic time right now. I am highly stressed, too.
    However, I will try my best to recover and to return back to normal as soon as possible.
    I'm not sure what else to do 'cept for adding more protein.
    I actually really dislike eating out because the food makes me feel so terrible.
    I can try to walk more and walk less on different days since I am injured and can't do much else for now.
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    What are your macros? What is your calorie goal? How long have you been trying? Have you taken measurements? For me personally I had to switch my macros after battling a plateau for three months. I was even maintaining on 1000 calories a day. I upped my fat and protein cut way back on carbs and I lost twenty six lbs.
    Definitely agree with this. Macros are much more important then calories. Get on low carb, high protein and fat ( healthy fat) and you will see wonders. You can ad me as well for diary. Good luck
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Your eating is horrible - no offense.
    It's best to get right to the point. Start all over, and forget everything you think you know about weight loss, health and fitness.
    Losing fat is actually very simple but just hard work.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.:flowerforyou:

All Is Possible!
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    U can net less than 1200 and you will be absolutely fine.. but don't eat less than 1200. There is no point in that. If you can't do a lot of exercise just do what you can. Make sure that the calories you are eating are clean and full of nutrients... lay completely off the processed stuff. Cut the sodium out. Drink a gallon of water a day. Stop stressing. The scale is moving, it's just moving slowly :)

The first sentence here is RUBBISH. Do your research!!!

OP- Along with what others have posted...know your BMR and your TDEE. Eat at a deficit of your TDEE and you will most likely lose weight, especially with all that walking. Just increasing protein isn't going to do a whole lot for you unt you get your actual consumption of calories under control.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Start at 1,400 and go from there. Don't go below 1,200, though. It's always better to up the exercise if you can than to cut calories, IMO. Good luck and eat up!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary...just one question...

Where are the vegetables??
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips....I hope they help.. I need all the help I can get.
  • Juleswithaplan
    Juleswithaplan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Regarding eating out - that is hard. But you CAN eat out and eat healthy, just head to the grocery store instead. Grab a Chobani or other greek yogurt (high protein), some unsalted almonds or granola bar, a few items of fruit (grapes, apples etc...) and a healthy drink (coconut water, big Smart Water etc.) You can pick up a plastic spoon and napkins in the deli section.

If you have to hit a fast food joint - there are healthy options out there: Chicken Fajita Pita from Jack-in-the-Box = 330 calories (SKIP THE FRIES!) and Burger King has a great veggie burger that tastes like a whopper just a whole lot healthier for ~280 calories (hold the mayo). McDonald's even offers yogurt parfaits with granola and their Egg McMuffin is only 300 calories. I know it will sound silly but you can make it a game to always pick the healthiest thing on any menu. Just get the myfitnesspal.com app on your phone to check calorie and nutrient content BEFORE you order!

Hope this helps - hang in there!