Oatmeal!

Options
Hey peeps, this is my first post on myfitnesspal. I've started logging calories so I can be healthier and also lose hopefully about 15 pounds by the end of the year.

Growing up, I didn't like oatmeal much. It was very grainy/watery and tough. I much preferred cream of wheat.

Well, as an adult, I have found that outmeal isn't supposed to be grainy/watery and tough. My parents would just boil quick oats for like 15 minutes and that is what made it that way. I'm finding recipes online that make it creamy, which is what I love (I've had creamy oatmeal at continental breakfasts while traveling lately that has been creamy and hearty).

Anyone have tips/recipes on making it myself and making it creamy and awesome without adding unnecessary calories? I know its a weird request but I'm looking to make oatmeal part of my every day meals.

Thanks!

Replies

• damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This isn't an actual oatmeal recipe, but it uses oats.

I take about a 1/4 cup of dry oats and mix it with a container of yogurt in a bowl. Let it sit for a few minutes so the oats can absorb some moisture and enjoy! Letting it sit overnight in the fridge is even better!
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Soak your oats in liquid for a good few hours (preferable overnight) before cooking.
    I just use tap water but fat-free milk or a mix of water and natural yoghurt would give a 'creamier' feel.
    Also if I'm going to add dried instead of fresh fruit then I put this in with the liquid so that the fruit rehydrates and softens.
    Then I'll just nuke it for a minute or two, adding more liquid if I feel it's too thick or cooking for longer if it's not thick enough.
    Honestly, the long soak really does make a difference to the texture, even with only water added it is still 'creamy'.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options

I take about a 1/4 cup of dry oats and mix it with a container of yogurt in a bowl. Let it sit for a few minutes so the oats can absorb some moisture and enjoy! Letting it sit overnight in the fridge is even better!
    [/quote

You have just reminded me of a dessert I make for my son.

In a small bowl or glass (this looks better) I'll layer up natural yoghurt, oats, and honey, repeating as necessary finishing with yoghurt on top. I'll leave this in the fridge all day (I do my cooking of a morning) and then just before he'll eat it I sprinkle more oats on top just for the texture contrast.

This is delicious made with jam instead of honey too.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options

This. Overnight oats. I use oats, milk, and yogurt and then it's up to you. Banana, peanut butter, berries, etc etc.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've always liked oatmeal, but grew up eating it topped with butter, brown sugar and half and half! Delicious, but not so healthy!

Lately I eat it with fresh fruit (blueberries or peaches these days, strawberries are good too - and banana! :tongue:), 1/4 cup of plain greek yogurt, a few walnuts and a drizzle of honey. The yogurt makes it super creamy and adds protein. The fruit & honey gives it sweetness - I love it!
  • runnergirl1017
    Options
    I Eat oatmeal every morning! I mix 1/4 c old fashioned oats, 1 T chia seeds, 1T ground flax seed, 1/4 c almond milk, 1/2 c water in a 4 c measuring cup glass for 4 min in the microwave. I mix in some peanut butter and banana I never get sick of it!
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oats. 1/4 c oats, 3/4 c water. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 min. It's thick. I add chia seeds, ground flax seeds, cinnamon and almond milk. My daughter likes me to add blueberries.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Try "proatmeal". Scoop of protein powder & 1tbspn p. butter, add to half cup outs , right out of the microwave. Mmmmm....I used to eat packets of oatmeal, old fashioned oats are 2:30 mins in the microwave and ooooh spoof much yummier
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    By creamy do you just mean less watery? I just add less water to mine or let it sit for longer. Soy milk is great to cook it in as the vanilla is sweet and smooth. You can get a light vanilla, sweetened soy milk for 70 cal/cup and use half water half milk to cut down on calories.
  • Lindsay_Lou89
    Options
    Love oatmeal!! I cook mine with Almond milk and water, mix in Greek yogurt and then add fruit/nuts as I want! Breakfast almost every morning!!
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk! only 40 calories in a cup and it makes my oatmeal creamier than water
  • iifymlife
    iifymlife Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try "proatmeal". Scoop of protein powder & 1tbspn p. butter, add to half cup outs , right out of the microwave. Mmmmm....I used to eat packets of oatmeal, old fashioned oats are 2:30 mins in the microwave and ooooh spoof much yummier

This is my favorite healthy thing to eat!
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Check out hungry girl website. Tons of great oatmeal recipes. I love the pumpkin and the chocolate banana! Good luck!