When to eat?

Options
I like to go walking in the mornings, but I was wondering. When should I eat breakfast before or after working out. And would it apply for lunch and dinner also?

Replies

• delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    I usually eat something small before and after I work out, whether it's in the morning, afternoon, or evening. I'll usually work out in the evenings, and eat like an apple or something before I go, and then eat my dinner when I get back.
    Whatever works for you :)
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Really however/whenever works for you. The key point is what whats for you in the goals you wish to accomplish, don't follow fad diets that dont work/fit. Meal frequency/timing is not as huge an issue as people make it out to be.

I myself prefer to skip breafast, and eat a hefty meal after working out (late morning/mid day).
  • amysaenz24
    amysaenz24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I usually eat something small before and after I work out, whether it's in the morning, afternoon, or evening. I'll usually work out in the evenings, and eat like an apple or something before I go, and then eat my dinner when I get back.
    Whatever works for you :)

i agree ^^. i have to eat alittle something before i work out for energy AND after to recover. but everyone is different...if you feel your body doesnt need the fuel before your workout, then dont eat before , just after
  • WonderChicana
    Options
    Well thank you. :) You both seem like you're coming from the same place. Eat lightly or nothing and then eat. Eating a meal before working out probably wouldn't be to comfortable anyways. So thanks!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat when you're hungry. I get up early and go for a walk/jog (usually around 4 miles, though it's been shorter since the tropical storm caused flooding; I am back to normal now) in the mornings... I don't eat until much later. I drink a glass (or two) of water, then go for the run (45-55 minutes), and then drink more water... sometimes have my coffee... and eat later. I'm just not hungry in the morning. I eat plenty later on to make up for it. ;)
  • JlSimon22
    JlSimon22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    A few fitness instructors I know have told me that you should work out early in the morning on an empty stomach and you will end up burning more. I wouldn't suggest that for day/ evening work outs- but for early morning I've been told thats the way to go.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry :)
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    everything I have read is eat withing a few hours of working out either before or after. Especially protiens to repair muscles. I eat afterwards like an hour later.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Try both for a few days & see how you feel. It's your body; let it decide when it wants to eat.
  • WonderChicana
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Y'all have really helped.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Eating is just like working out - do it when it's most convenient for you and when you're most likely to do it. Eating a big meal before a workout isn't comfortable for many people, but experiment and see what works for you. There's no magic to when you eat and/or workout...it's much more important that you just do it.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    For some people, eating before working out is a bad idea. I have neurocardiogenic syncope (I faint easily), which is a pretty common vasovagal condition. This is where the body can't properly compensate for the changes in blood pressure needed to keep your blood pumping to your head and the blood from pooling in your legs when you go from a horizontal to vertical position. It causes a huge drop in blood pressure and heart rate making you "grey out", get blurry vision/nausea, or faint.

Basically, I faint or nearly faint with certain upright exercises (like jogging) or getting up too quickly from working out on the floor. I can also get it if I simplly stand around upright too long, after a meal, when it's really hot outside, or have my blood drawn. For me, I've been diagnosed (tilt table test and all that) but a lot of folks out there are mild fainters.

My doctor told me that I should be careful not to eat a meal before exertion. With eating, the body diverts blood to your digestive system. If you're a fainter that's not good because it will exacerbate the problem and make it more difficult to properly maintain blood pressure. If I've eaten recently, I can manage it by resting in between and focusing only on horizontal exercises like the recumbent bike but it slows down my workout and make its tougher to "go hard".

I have found that I need a minimum of 3 hours of no food to have a decent workout. Better if it can be 4-5 hours.

So, you have to figure out what works for your body. For some, lack of energy from preworkout fast will be the problem. For others, like me, maintaining blood pressure/heart rate is more of a problem. As folks above have already said, try it both ways to see which allows you to have a better workout.