Help please.. New to this...

Options
I've been going to the gym for about 2months now... I meet with a personal trainer once a month... I keep GAINING weight!!! I'm getting so frustrated that i'm just gaining and not losing... I started out weighing the same as my hubby but now I weigh more than him!! I don't know how to count calories, or how to figure out how many I'm burning.. Any help on this is greatly appreciated!! Also, IF i were to work out at home, how would I figure out how much I'm burning?? Like if I were to walk the mall for 2hrs.. did it before... Or if I do jumping jacks or something.. I don't have any work out equipment at home, and I've got a baby... So, workout at home is limited, but I NEED to get into a daily routine... How do I get motivated to get up and go to the gym... We only go for 45min-an Hour every 3days... But I hate it.. I'm so embarrassed... I don't like my "flab" giggling around... Anyways, any suggestions on any of my rambling, Id greatly appreciate it... THANKS a bunch!!!

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    First let me say NOW is the time to do it! Now that you only have 20 pounds to lose....I know, I was there!

You have to be important. I promise you that sweet lil baby will turn 27 (yes my babe is 27) even if you leave him in his carrier and dance around him, doing sit ups or squats, lunges........no one says you HAVE to do them all in a row. Kick out 10 at a time.
    Push ups do wonders for the arms/shoulders/ chest/ back.
    Bicycles for the core and abs.......

Take the time. You will be a better mommy for it!!

Specific questions?
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    Walking can be a great workout otherwise there can be some decent workout dvd's at walmart, Kmart and target. I use the walk away the pounds dvd's. You can order them off of amazon or walkawaythepounds.com as well. They are walking dvd's so they are real low impact and easy to do. They are anywhere from 15 minutes up to 65 tp 70 minutes. One mile up to 5 mile Dvd's. I would start out with the one mile and two mile dvd's if you are starting out. They incorporate more than just walking to get a mutli - muscle workout and really work the entire body. They are get workouts and run as low as $10 a DVD. A really good investment. You can do them while your baby is taking a nap. Or after the baby goes to sleep for the evening. Otherwise you can log your walking in as walking under the cardiovascular section that you do around the mall and just put in how long you walked and about what pace you think you walked and it will give you the amount of calories you burned during that time according to your height and weight, etc. Then you just log everything you ate for the day. You just have to be consistent and you will eventually lose as long as you follow the plan that MFP sets up for you. Good luck!! Don't get discourage it all takes time and practice!!
  • bleachcse
    bleachcse Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This is a great site to help you learn to count calories. The main thing YOU have to do, is make sure that you measure and weigh everything that you eat and drink. That is a absolute must if you want your calorie count to be accurate. As for knowing how much you are burning, I would say you're just going to have to go with what this site says, unless you have a heart rate monitor or bodybugg. Without those, it's just an approximation. It may be more or may be less. When I started using my bodybugg I found out that what I was logging here was way more than what I was actually burning. I can't give you any advice on exercise because that is my weakness. I hate it with a passion, but am doing my best to fit some in during my busy evenings. Good luck. This is probably the best place to find success.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    I have to be my motivation. No one gets me up in the morning and runs with me. No one tells me to not eat 3 or 4 servings of that dessert (even though I've asked them).
    Sometimes we just have to do things we hate. It sucks-- haha. Some days I REALLY hate doing strength training, but I know it's good for me. I visualize results as I workout, crazy (and vain) as that sounds.

One thing I challenge you to try is this: tell yourself that you will go to the gym 5 days next week for 45 minutes. Stick to the plan. Don't deviate. Don't make excuses. You go even if your husband doesn't. After you accomplish this goal, make the next goal and the next. See what happens. You'll find that you are stronger than you think. And, think of ways (other than food) to reward yourself. ;)

As for the working out at home, take walks around the block... dance around the house (cheesy, I know-- but, no one's looking, hehe).

And, hey-- the "giggly" thing-- most everyone at the gym is too busy focusing on their workouts.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place. . .MFP will do a lot of the work for you.

Log your food (it will show you the calories to many, many foods automatically) and exercise (same for a lot of exercises) and start there.

Then, start educating yourself (the internet is definitely your friend!)

If you're working out with a trainer, I would advise you to buy a tape measure and track your measurements rather than your weight. You could be shrinking inchwise, but not see progress on the scale.

You don't have to be motivated to do it. . .just do it. Often the motivation comes after the movement.

Welcome.:flowerforyou:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,668 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be motivated to do it. . .just do it. Often the motivation comes after the movement.
    Exactly! Thank you for reminding people of that. Just "fake it till you make it." :smile: