keeping fit after serious injury...

Options
July 23 will be 2 years ago that I had a bad accident, broke my leg, dislocated my knee, fractured my knee cap, and was left with 2 slipped disk in my kneck and 3 in my lower back. Previous to my accident, I was an outdoors person, worked out at the gym 2-3 days a week for a couple hours and walked/jogged 5 miles almost everyday. I was very active and physically fit and barely jiggled anywhere. Since then and after physical therapy and rehab of almost 6 months for all of my injuries, I tried getting back on my feet and exercising and building myself back up. Well, needless to say, that has been impossible, because I cannot run/jog due to the fact that my ACL and PCL is still torn (Dr is beggin my to have reconstructin but I keep putting it off because I have already had 3 surgeries, rods and pins have been removed...thankfully...and frankly just don't feel like going back down again and having to work myself back up because I went thru heck and also a major depression after that) and my kneck hurts so bad and my back is likely to lock up on me at any wrong move...blah hate that...so anyways, I used to be one of those people that was addicted to exercise because it made me feel SOOOOOO good and I loved it. Needless to say, I can no longer do the things I did before. I jiggle more and hate that but I can live with that. I can walk with my knee brace on but not as fast as I used to. It takes me 40 minutes to walk 2 miiles at a pace of 3.5. Anyways, just wondering if there are any people out there that are in a situation similar to mine and what do you do to encourage yourself and combat the feelings of knowing you will never again be what you once were? Yes, it will improve somewhat when I have acl/pcl reconstruction but I won't ever be able to jump hoops again. I do good at losing weight still and am actually 10lbs below my goal weight I set for myself after I had my little girl but I get down when I see all the people logging their exercise and I can barely walk 2 miles in 40 mins....

Replies

• bricks2nd
    bricks2nd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I kind of get it. I was in a car accident and have had 10+ surgeries on my spine. Including a lot of metal. I gained a lot of weight.

I am 6 months post op on my last surgery and have started with the elliptical. I can do 10 mins a day so far.

Hoping to start adding yoga back in soon.