Eating back calories not ate throughout the week?

Options
As the title says really what do you think?

Replies

• emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Yeah!! =p You can go under one day and eat the calories back the next day.. some people call that zig zag diet.. *I don't know much about it...but it keeps your body 'confused' you don't get used to it, helps you to not stall out.

You can also earn a cheat day like that!! =p If you go way over one day, eat less the next few days, or the other way around.
  • GoGoSuku
    GoGoSuku Posts: 63
    Options
    Awesome :D Don't feel guilty now XD
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if Im going to go over, I will log the offending food in the next day of my diary lol That way it is accounted for, but I dont feel as guilty lol
  • KettleBellHoe
    Options
    Sometimes if Im going to go over, I will log the offending food in the next day of my diary lol That way it is accounted for, but I dont feel as guilty lol
    \

OMG I SO DO THAT!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. My method is a bit different. I "save" my workout calories all week and then have a spike day where I eat all the yummy junk foods and not feel guilty because I just used up my banked calories. I have been losing weight so I can't complain about the method
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You have to draw a line somewhere though. No point saving calories for a whole month then blowing them in one hit. Sure, you will probably weigh less than you did at the start of the month, but the gain on the scales will damage you mentally.

Probably best that you just make sure you average your intake over the interval between weighing yourself. When you get on the scales, you write off any calories you have saved up until that point and start again, that way you are less likely to see a gain.
  • FitasBarbie
    FitasBarbie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You can zigzag your calories if it works for you... Don't worry about going over some days, most people have cheat days it helps keep you sane and it speeds up your metabolism by confusing it with more food on some days...
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I think it's a sensible thing to do. Some days I burn close on 1,000 extra calories and would really struggle to eat them all back but on a rest day I'm starving so can eat back some of the previous day's excess calories rather than suffer. As long as it all averages out across the week I can't see a problem with it and it encourages you to account for naughtier meals rather than just have them and write them off.
  • mummytummybyebye
    Options
    You have to draw a line somewhere though. No point saving calories for a whole month then blowing them in one hit. Sure, you will probably weigh less than you did at the start of the month, but the gain on the scales will damage you mentally.

Probably best that you just make sure you average your intake over the interval between weighing yourself. When you get on the scales, you write off any calories you have saved up until that point and start again, that way you are less likely to see a gain.

I totally agree, i didn't calorie count yesterday and had my "cheat" day which i don't do often, I tell you, i didn't like what the scales read this morning. It's put me on a downer.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    In general, I think it's a bad idea, and here's why:

1 - most people underestimate their calorie consumption. Leave yourself a bit of a reserve by being under. Not significantly, but try to stay under.

2 - How many calories are we talking about? If you just want to celebrate a great week with a cheese cake, go for it. Good for you for doing so well. But if you're looking for an excuse to binge, what kind of habits are you forming long term?

3 - Are you hungry when you eat back your calories? I just can't eat a lot in one sitting, even if I try. So why stuff yourself to hit a number when you're better off reinforcing the good habits you've maintained for most of the week.

I don't know your particular situation, but if you're talking about a bit of a celebration on the weekend, for example, or a cheat day - once a week - where you relax your standards a bit, go for it. But if you're talking about stuffing yourself to hit a number that is at best an approximation, I think it's a bad idea.

--P
  • violetta88
    violetta88 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine to do it every so often - you need a splurge sometimes!

However I would say to keep an eye on what you're eating - it's so easy to think, "oh, I worked out every day this week, so I can eat whatever I want at the weekend!" Um, no :wink: But thinking "well, I was under by a total of 1000 calories this week, so today I can have a couple of drinks at the bar and a bag of crisps" won't kill your diet.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I did a variation on this when I lost 25 lbs. on WW. I would eat under my points allotment all week & then have 2 pieces of pizza every Friday night. But I kept to a rigorous regimen everry single other day, NO exceptions.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do it :smile:
  • philshirons88
    Options
    Do it, just make sure for the week you are under.

Some days I find i'm not hungry and some I'm starving so really mix it up!
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm always really hungry the day after running so try and keep some calories in reserve to use the day after.
  • leanby2013
    leanby2013 Posts: 137
    Options
    I just count my cals weekly instead, so some days im over, some days im under but i dont mind as long as it adds up to the same amount and the end of the week
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I totally agree, i didn't calorie count yesterday and had my "cheat" day which i don't do often, I tell you, i didn't like what the scales read this morning. It's put me on a downer.

If you only blew it yesterday and the rest of the week was good, you probably haven't done any lasting damage. It might just be fluid retention from too much sodium. Draw a line under it and start again for next week.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Personally i'd rather "Feed when I need".
    So on heavy lift days when I kill it i'll eat about 20% above TDEE.
    On rest days I cut carbs and eat below TDEE.

You only get about 36-48 hours to recover from heavy lifting so you should be eating the proper nutrients.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. My method is a bit different. I "save" my workout calories all week and then have a spike day where I eat all the yummy junk foods and not feel guilty because I just used up my banked calories. I have been losing weight so I can't complain about the method

I do this too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)