1st post. Needing some motivation..

Options
Hello people. I'm having a bit of a low. You see I live in a household where dieting is considered to be dumb, but there are also a lot of health problems in my family. My family prefers taste over healthy food. Even after both my parents have suffered heart problems, high blood pressure, and other complications, they still don't seem to care. They believe that since the doctors put them on so many medications, they can eat whatever they want. I believe in prevention. God forbid a diet version of the same dish is made, they won't touch it.

This caused me to do my own cooking. I want to steer clear from it, and I try so hard to diet, but they just get really angry at me and tell me to eat something of their cooking. On my first day of dieting I ate a peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread for dinner, while my family ate fried chicken, and I got yelled at really badly by my dad.

I'm in highschool and I want to get into shape and toned up. I think I can do much better once I moved out, but right now it seems so difficult. I joined myfitnesspal last month, then I left, and now I'm back. Within a month, I lost 0.5 pounds. Thats not good enough for me, I know I could have done better with my intense desire to get into shape. but at least I didn't gain weight. :(

-Tired and need of a hug, me

Replies

• isabel88g
    isabel88g Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi aerospuds,

Don't let your family get you done, and don't get down because you lost 0.5 lbs in a month, it's 0.5 lbs less than you weighed before. You can cook healthy food that taste delicious. If you want to get healthy then do it for yourself. If your family wants to eat unhealthy let them do it, cook your own food, get your own groceries, do whatever it takes to make yourself feel amazing. You will get to your goal, it will just take time!
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you take up a sport that your diet needs to be good for then that could be the way around it. Then you get the exercise and have the line 'but I neeed this for soccer/football/basketball etc you don't have to be a top level athlete to do something. This would give you best of both worlds here :)
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi aerospuds,

Don't let your family get you done, and don't get down because you lost 0.5 lbs in a month, it's 0.5 lbs less than you weighed before. You can cook healthy food that taste delicious. If you want to get healthy then do it for yourself. If your family wants to eat unhealthy let them do it, cook your own food, get your own groceries, do whatever it takes to make yourself feel amazing. You will get to your goal, it will just take time!

There is no magic bullet diet takes time too many people want a quick fix
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP a few days ago and am excited about the prospect of losing weight as I monitor my calorie intake and exercise regiment. I signed up to run in the Columbus half marathon in October. My goal is to finish in less then 2 hours and 15 minutes. It is a modest goal but achievable. I need to loose about 15 lbs to make my running easier.

I am looking at using the P90X training program. It looks intense. As for motivation, it comes from within. No one has ever motivated me. I simply set a goal and go out to achieve it. Good luck to you!
  • NajahDaMuslimah
    Options
    Welcome Back! Be encouraged, you're on the right track...one step at a time. I can definitely relate to what you're saying and how you're feeling. Been there, done that. Unfortunately, my determination didn't begin, until I was diagnosed myself with high blood pressure and diabetes. Even then, I still ate any and everything that I wanted to. Within the past 3 years of living and eating "foolishly", my labwork went from bad to worst. It wasn't until my diabetes got to the point where I would need insulin that I became "serious" about my health. Since then, I've been eating alot better (though there are times I splurge), but nevertheless for the most part, I'm eating healthy and exercising daily in some form or fashion. I feel alot better, and I've watched my blood glucose level go down drastically. It's my desire to be "medication free", but I know that it's not going to happen on its own. It's going to take dedication from myself in order to achieve this goal. And I'm learning more and more everyday that it's not that hard at all. So I said all of this to say to you...stay encouraged. For me, it took my worst to bring out my best...Subhan Allah. You can do it! Please feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. I'd be more than happy to check in on you periodically. Have a good one...
  • violetta88
    violetta88 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Families are always a difficult one ...

It's hard you say without knowing you all personally, but generally speaking parental opposition tends to come from:

1) Feeling offended. In my family, not eating what's been cooked for you is a massive insult! All you can do is explain why you've made that choice - but know it may take them a while to come round to it.

2) They think it's a phase. Oh, how many times I've heard that! If you manage to stick with it for longer than a couple of months, you may find they get more accepting.

3) Guilt. Guilt about their own lifestyles (even if they don't want to change!), or guilt about the lifestyle they've inflicted on you. Unhealthy eaters tend to be validated by other unhealthy eaters - having someone in their midst trying to make better choices can make them uncomfortable.

4) Worry. I don't know how much you weigh or if you really "need" to lose weight, but having a teenager who suddenly wants to diet can set off major alarm bells for parents. Especially if you're just having a sandwich for dinner! Dads in particular can get angry and yell because they don't know how else to approach the subject.

So in conclusion? Stick with it. Make sure you're making healthy choices that are right for you. When your parents see this is a permanent thing, maybe try to talk to them about what you're doing and why. Don't try to convert them - you need to accept what they do is their choice, the same way how you live is yours. But in time they will come to understand and, even if they don't like it, will try and support you.
  • Hope502012
    Hope502012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've sent you a friend request. Best of luck!
  • arcadianmunki
    arcadianmunki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sod your family don't listen to them. It's ignorance and they should want the best for you. They should want you to have a healthy happy life. Keep your goals in mind and imagine how good it will feel to achieve them.

You can do it. It's hard for everyone.
  • heatherherring15
    heatherherring15 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am completely there with you! I don't live with mine, but when I go visit they want to go out to eat at the worst possible restaurants for healthy eating, they scoff at me when I bring protein powder for meals, and they just get angry when I don't eat the portions that they put on my plate. At your age it is difficult. Maybe you can take up a sport like someone suggested or try to find ways to stay out of the house (part time job) and pack a healthy meal to take with you. If you have to eat at home, make your own plate and you control the portion size and opt to drink water instead of whatever they have to drink. You can't control your family. Just do the best you can for yourself.
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Proper nutrition is important. There's no real denying that in the long term. However if your family is not willing to change their meal types you could try just eating less of what the rest of your family is. So for example if your family was having fried chicken for dinner only have one piece instead of two. While this is still not the healthiest of meal choices you've just cut your calories in, for that group of nutrients, in half. Your parents see you eating with them, so less of a reason to criticize, but you're still reducing your kcal count.

Hope that helps,

S,
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP; this is a great place to get results on the road to health and fitness.
    Losing fat is actually very simple but just hard work.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
    And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Dieting is a word you should drop from you vocabulary. If you want to keep the weight off, you need to make permenant changes to your diet.

A peanut butter sandwich for dinner would have me raising an eyebrow as well, honestly. You can still enjoy food and lose weight, and as you're young, you have the metabolism to facilitate a good amount of food. I wouldn't be surprised if you could lose weight eating 1800 - 2000 calories a day.

Three things to address; when you say 'tone up' do you mean increase muscle mass, or lose bodyfat to reveal what muscle you have? One requires a caloric surplus, the other a deficit.

Secondly, you should invest in a tape measure and take regular progress pictures. According to my scale, I haven't lost an ounce but I train at high intensity with heavy weights 3 times a week and am working on a small deficit to preserve my lean mass. Despite that, I know I've lost FAT because I am seeing improved muscle definition and noticing small changes especially around my belly, where I store most of my weight.

Weight really isn't that important. The only person that sees it is YOU, but everyone else can see your body shape.

Thirdly; healthy food is not lacking in flavour. Fruit is amazing. So many different flavours and textures. Some vegetables are even palletable. And lean meat, cooked properly with a little EVOO is fantastic. Smoked salmon is delicious, but not something you would usually think of as 'diet' food - the healthy fats and high protein content make it perfect, though. If they were eating fried chicken, why didn't you grill it or fry it in a pan with some olive oil?

There are two main ways to use MFP - how it was designed, as hotlinked by Bobby_Clerici, or by customising the goals to suit your own plan, which is the approach I use. The information for the latter can be found on my profile.

Formulate a sensible, long term plan. Stick to it. Improve your body and health. Win.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My parents are in their 80's and have a variety of health problems, including diabetes. I visit them one weekend a month and usually cook for them and whatever other family comes by. I always cook healthy and they always love it. There's no reason that good fresh home cooking shouldn't taste better than anything else.

Some simple substitutions you might sneak in:

Ground bison instead of ground beef - it tastes better and it's much healthier
    Brown rice pasta instead of wheat pasta - it also actually tastes better
    Brown rice pancake syrup instead of high fructose corn syrup. My dad loves Eggo waffles - I go to a natural foods grocery store and get something that looks the same but is made with flax seed, or buckwheat, and has fresh blueberries or other fruits. He loves these and asks me to get them whenever I come down.
    Offset some salt with lemon juice or lemon zest.
    You can make your own healthier butter spreads by mixing butter and olive oil in a blender.

And so on. Look at whatever their favorite foods are and just try to clean them up a bit.
  • PilatesGirl77
    Options
    Thanks for the overwhelming amount of responses. For anyone who thought I said healthy food doesn't taste good, I never said that. I said that my family doesn't like it, but ofcourse I like it, since I really want to eat it. Looks like I have to be going against currents to stick to my plan, but I think I'm ready this time around.
  • CeCe_oceansoul_420
    CeCe_oceansoul_420 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That sounds difficult and I'm not sure what to tell you. Is there any way your family would let you take over the cooking several nights a week? Can you do healthy meals for breakfast, lunch, and your snacks? Also, be sure to limit your portion sizes; if you do that, then as long as you eat healthy 80% of the time, you will lose weight.

Good luck, and if you'd like to add me for some extra motivation and support, feel free to do so.
  • alleycat8429
    Options
    I just joined today and i will be the 1st to tell u family is hard to get around when they down what you r trying to do good for your self. I had a hystorectomy 10 months ago and 8 yrs ago i became very ill that caused me to gain alot of weight and then i had to have the sugery. I have since gaind 50 lbs and my husband hates that i am trying to work it off and my kids r my support. I am here if u need support i know how it feels . U can do it and when u do remember it will b that much better for u when u know u did..:happy: :happy: