food before morning workout

Options
I'm always hungry shortly after I wake up. For those of you who workout in the morning, what do you eat before your workout and why? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• joeyplatypus92
    Options
    poptarts :)
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    I usually eat something small, like an apple or orange. It gives me a bit of sugar to boost my energy, and fills me up! Plus, they're healthy :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat if I'm going to workout right away - unless I wake up famished, which I do every so often for some reason. If I have anything, it's a slice of toast with almond butter, or a half of a banana with almond butter, maybe a dark chocolate granola thin...
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am never usually too hungry, depending on what time I wake up. But today I had 1/2 an apple and a kiwi...Just enough to get me through a decent workout. Then I'm usually starving after my shower, so I load up on peanut butter, that's what I always crave! And yogurt. Yum.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    yes! I always had the problem of my tummy not being settle enough to workout so this is what I eat/drink:
    (got this recipe from the New Rules of Lifting for Women book)

1/2 c old fashioned oats
    1 c fat free milk
    1 scoop of whey protein powder
    1 tablespoon of Peanut butter

BLEND WELL!! (otherwise it's not so good because the oats are kinda chunky)

Keeps me full and energized for a few hours!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    poptarts :)

^ Win.

LowCarbCory judges you.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I get up about 2 hours before I work out and always have coffee with milk. Sometimes two cups. I do need to eat or I get hungry during my workout, so if I'm craving something sweet I have a Cliff Z bar. If I want salty, I have a cheese stick. I also drink at least two tall glasses of water.

Editing to note that I realize that Z bars are basically pop tarts with fiber ...
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I always have a coffee first thing, but I will sometimes have a smoothie (frozen pineapple chunks, mango if I have any, coconut water and whey protein powder) if I'm hungry before my workout. Most times, I'm not hungry yet. Today, I was famished and had breakfast sausage and melon wedges for something a little more solid, but I waited a little while before running so it could digest a bit.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and fruit, energy to lift.
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. Not too heavy on my tummy.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    yes! I always had the problem of my tummy not being settle enough to workout so this is what I eat/drink:
    (got this recipe from the New Rules of Lifting for Women book)

1/2 c old fashioned oats
    1 c fat free milk
    1 scoop of whey protein powder
    1 tablespoon of Peanut butter

BLEND WELL!! (otherwise it's not so good because the oats are kinda chunky)

Keeps me full and energized for a few hours!

Bump this idea! :drinker:
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry in the morning.. and I eat well before the workout... if I'm hungry I got to have enough power for top performance!

Breyer's - Carb Smart Vanilla Ice Cream 66 g, 66 g 90 8 6 2 4 0
    Silk - Original Soy Milk - Light, 240 ml 60 6 2 6 4 6
    Great Value - Blackberry Preserves-Sugar Free, 1 Tbsp 10 5 0 0 0 0
    Kellogg's - Eggo - Nutri-Grain - Low Fat Whole Grain Waffles, 2 Waffles (70g) 140 27 3 5 3 25
    Great Value - Frozen Whole Blueberries *, 140 g 80 17 1 0 12 0
    Country Crock - Butter, 1 Tbsp 50 0 5 0 0 0
    Gnc - Amp 100% Whey Protein - Vanilla (Correct), 1.5 scoop (36.5g) 195 12 3 30 3 0

OF COURSE I WILL WAIT AT LEAST 1-2 HOURS BEFORE I WORKOUT.... DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF FOOD...
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Just something light: orange sections or 8 oz. of a fruity kefir and water. I don't like to work out with a full stomach.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I can't eat when I first wake up. My stomach turns at the thought of food in the first twenty or thirty minutes, so I usually have a peanut butter banana smoothie (two tbsp. natty pb, 1 c. skim milk, and a whole, small/medium banana) after I do my cardio. I'm usually starving by then, and see the smoothie as a reward. If I don't have the smoothie, then it's Greek yogurt.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Either eggs scrambled in the microwave with or without one slice of wholegrain toast, or like this morning I cook some oats in water (i don't like them with milk) and eat them with a mix of yoghurt and protein powder. It's warm it's cold, it's sweet, it's savoury....yum!
    I always have a coffee too.
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If anything, a Chobani or Fage Greek yogurt.
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    Same thing every morning, an apple, 25g of muesli and 50g of alpro soya natural yogurt. I would wait to work out though, always more effective on an emptier stomach.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Anything, really. Nothing in particular. I haven't found a bit of difference in my lifting eating one thing vs another. What I have noticed, coming from a background of Intermittent Fasting (Leangains model) is that there are some days I lift fasted and it's a super workout... and other times I am so shaky and weak it's a total bust. I've yet to figure out a balance and that fine line between tapping into stored energy or whatever and becoming depleted before I can get in the workout.

So I do tend to eat before I workout now. And I eat whatever the heck I have on hand.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Usually coffee and a small apple, or a small greek yoghurt tub.

I always wanna save my proper breakfast for after the workout :D
  • wwpecker
    wwpecker Posts: 13
    Options
    Banana and some citrus fruit - healthy, light and I like it. oh, also lots tea (Im English:smile: )