Dropping that "Gamer" weight... <3

Options
Hi all, my name is Amy and I am new to this website. I work in the gaming industry (which has vastly contributed to my steady weight gain) and recently hit the obese level with my BMI measurements which lite a fire under my butt. On Monday, I will be starting the optifast diet and using one of my companies games (Just Dance) to full fill my workout needs as they just created a "Just Sweat Dream Team". My weight goal is to drop 55lbs from 180 to 125 within 6 months, although I anticipate it to be faster with including the optifast supplements.

As I am somewhat of a public figure in the gaming world, I will be introducing my communities to myfitnesspal (which I think is absolutely amazing) to follow along and join me, and I am extremely excited to get started next week. If any of you need any mutual support please add me http://www.myfitnesspal.com/valkyriefd !

I also wrote a very lengthy intro blog if you care to read. Looking forward to losing weight with all of YOU!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ValkyrieFD/view/diet-dance-to-weight-loss-275472

Replies

• MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Welcome Amy :-)

I'm a gamer but I work in the higher ed industry.

Welcome to MFP!!
  • ValkyrieFD
    ValkyrieFD Posts: 83
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Kat! And education is what built the gaming industry as most games were developed as teaching tools FIRST <3 Kudos to you
  • glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    Options
    Welcome,

I am by no means a pro gamer, but probably spend more time gaming than actually working my real job. Similar situation in that I sit at a desk in front of a couple of monitors for 8-10 hours a day before I go home and try to squeeze in another 6 hours on the PC/Xbox. I am working towards losing an additional 20lbs to get me back to my optimal running weight. Feel free to add me.

Best of luck to you on your journey.
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    I put a lot of weight on when they changed the req to get a mount in warcraft: from level 40 to level 20 :bigsmile:
  • RadioAngel
    Options
    LOL...I totally know how you feel. My solution was to go to the gym before getting home from work, so AFTER I could spend my night playing Rift. =)

Oh, and having a small meal that was already prepared that could just be heated up helps too. I find the preparation helps the most.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    What an amazing job! I'm a pretty hardcore gamer myself and definitely spend far too much time in front of my PC doing so! Would be happy to add you x
  • Stargirlsmiles88
    Stargirlsmiles88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like to game a variety of things, but nothing too extensively. I love Just Dance 3 though, and I use it to exercise everyday!
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I sent you a friend request. I'm a programmer and working on my Masters. When school gets tough I tend to binge and skip exercise so I understand how easy it is to "grow into your chair"!
    I'll be rooting for you too!
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I game daily but trying to swap intense xbox thumb workouts for real world ones. Feel free to addage :)
  • ValkyrieFD
    Options
    So nice to meet all of you, I LOVE how supportive this community is, it is AMAZING! Gaming is certainly a big past time for many people now a days and that passion is a bond that can be as strong as anything else at times. It is an amazing world I live in and I am truly blessed by it, but it hasn't helped my health or lifestyle by any means. ><

Thank you all for your warm welcome, I am looking forward to getting to know you all and help support each other! <3
  • lisamyershb
    lisamyershb Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :smile:
  • fitnsandyfun
    fitnsandyfun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am new myself! friend request sent
  • kikilewis
    kikilewis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello! Gamer here as well. I put on tons of weight when I moved to WA to work at Xbox and definitely lost a lot of self esteem along the way. I moved to South Korea about a year and a half ago and have since lost around 30 pounds. I attribute it a lot to all the walking I do and the lack of gaming. I didn't bring my Xbox with me and I am not a big Starcraft fan. I have lost half of my goal and hope to lose the rest before I get back to the States in November because I plan to get back to gaming right away. I miss it a lot! But I don't miss the gaming weight!

I have to say it is tough eating a low calorie diet here because of the lack of choices (no sugar free options) and all the group meals.

So good luck to you!
  • jessalon
    jessalon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's doable. I've lost 30 pounds towards my target weight by doing my exercise before I ever get in the door. Then I game as much as I want.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i'm a gamer as well, and its a biiiig reason i got fat.

welcome aboard!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm really old. Please could someone explain to me how you could be a PROFESSIONAL gamer? I thought it was just something for "you young people" to while away your spare time? :embarassed: :flowerforyou:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Computer Space, Pong, Space Invaders and Pacman were all designed to teach how addiction can be dangerous.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Ok, I'm really old. Please could someone explain to me how you could be a PROFESSIONAL gamer? I thought it was just something for "you young people" to while away your spare time? :embarassed: :flowerforyou:

You've never heard of professional singers? Or golfers?
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I'd recommend checking out Fitocracy for those gaming minded. Or Zombies, Run!
  • ValkyrieFD
    Options

There has been a booming "pro" gaming scene since the late 90's. Very big subculture of people who dedicated their time in gaming competitions, get sponsors, and paid to play.

Best example is Fatal1ty who has become a millionaire in his gaming career through tournaments, product endorsements, hosting, etc. I actually co hosted he 2005 CPL World Finals on MTV when he won half a million for ONE tournament.

Gaming is huge, both in main and pro markets <3