How same calorie of fruits/lean meat contibutes to weight?

Options
If I eat fruits only on a particular day worth my daily goal, and then the next day, the same calorie worth lean meat (no fat), how will my body weight get affected?

In short whether the same calorie of different type of foods contribute differently to the body weight. Please clarify...

Replies

• walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    All calories are not created equal. You're body is able to absorb different things at different rates. Say for example you eat something heavy in protein, your body may be able to absorb 50-60% of it and then pass the rest. Then say the next day you eat something high is carbs. Those are absorbed at a rate closer to 85% so your body will only pass 15% of it. This stands true for fats as well. So it may be same calories but will definitely not be same effect.
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The main difference would come from the way that your body has to break down the food, which varies according to the food type. It takes more energy to digest proteins and complex carbs than sugar or fat. I couldn't tell you whether it would make any significant difference over a long period though - I doubt it. The main effect of choosing to get your calories from particular food groups is that some are more satiating than others. Foods high in protein and fibre are highly satiating so you would probably consume fewer calories through the course of the day. In your example, though, where the calorie intake is identical, that's irrelevant.
  • samrdhi
    samrdhi Posts: 7
    Options
    so of my examples which will contribute for weight gain?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Weight gain/loss will still be determined by energy balance in both scenarios. I'm assuming you're asking for hypothetical reasons rather than actually planning on eating like this?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Weight gain/loss will still be determined by energy balance in both scenarios. I'm assuming you're asking for hypothetical reasons rather than actually planning on eating like this?

Well, considering protein has a higher TEF than fruit, your body will "see" slightly less calories assuming the calorie content is the same for each item. Also, meat/protein is more satiating and also helps with muscle retention.

But everyone can fit both meat and fruit into their diets. No need to choose between them IMO.
  • samrdhi
    samrdhi Posts: 7
    Options
    Sirs,
    The point is I am a regular eater of red meat . If I change to fruits- Oranges,bananas etc and still maintain optimal MFP requirement, which will help in faster weight loss?

The question as of now is hypothetical, but i am planning to implement this to speed up the weight loss (but to keep up with calorie requirement as per MFP).
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sirs,
    The point is I am a regular eater of red meat . If I change to fruits- Oranges,bananas etc and still maintain optimal MFP requirement, which will help in faster weight loss?

The question as of now is hypothetical, but i am planning to implement this to speed up the weight loss (but to keep up with calorie requirement as per MFP).

Eat a combination of these foods within your calorie goals. Include vegetables too. This will enable you to loose weight and maintain good health.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Sirs,

What is your ultimate goal? Assuming you didn't put those 72kg on in a short period of time, why would you expect to lose them in a short period of time? Radical changes such as you are proposing will produce results, but long term healthy results are achieved by eating healthy foods in combination over a period of time. I would think any of your short term weight loss would disappear once you returned to your normal diet.
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is a really short sighted question. Your body will function best with a balanced healthy diet. End of topic.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Sirs,

Is it weight you want to lose? Because if you cut out protein you will lose weight, in the form of muscle. You cannot cut out any of them. You need protein for muscle and fruits/veggies for vitamins. You can lose weight if you cut one or the other, but you cut protein and you lose muscle weight and not fat weight.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Sirs,

This will not speed up weight loss using your above example.

This is also strange and not a good idea if you're referring to replacing ALL of your meat intake with fruit intake.

If you're worried about eating too much meat and not enough fruit, replace SOME of your meat with fruit.

Eat a balanced diet.