apps to track exercise??

Options
Tots77
Tots77 Posts: 16 Member
I use runmeter on my iPhone to track my walking/running route/distance/time and have noticed huge discrepancies in distance traveled and average mph. Has anyone else had this issue? I always seem to have a good gps signal so I am not sure what the problem is.
What app do you use to track your exercise?

Replies

• NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+ and iSmoothRun simultaneously on my iPhone for runs/cycling, GAIN Fitness for strength workouts and log it all in Fitocracy.

The distance is usually pretty accurate in the running apps, but my GPS signal has been cappybthese past few days despite running outside under clear skies. I wonder if the humidity does that?
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have used endomondo when I was going outside for my walks. I never had any issues with it.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have used endomondo when I was going outside for my walks. I never had any issues with it.

this.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I started using MapMyRun. It's well recommended by a lot of fellow runners that I'm well acquainted with. I'd give that a try. It uses GPS, which is awesome!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper, which seems to be pretty accurate.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Raw GPS data is really really bad, so applications need to do some smoothing on the data. That's why it's a good idea to go with really popular apps for those things, because they are more likely to have cash to invest in that area. Endomondo for example has "GPS improvements" in the past 15 patches that I've downloaded (and they release them something like once a week or more).

Cheers.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    For iPhone:

Cardio: RunKeeper
    Lifting: Fitocracy
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I had discrepencies in MapMyRun until I poked around a little and found out that if you turn wifi off, you will have a more consistent reading from the GPS. Apparently, all the different routers can cause little spikes that can cause location reading conflicts as you enter and leave their range compared with using GPS alone. Once I turned off wifi on my runs and rides, it became consistent.
  • teenamai
    teenamai Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper and Nike+Running. Love them both. Never had problems with either of them.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I use Noom's "CardioTrainer". I love it.
  • desertdutchman
    desertdutchman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've tried them all. They all do basically the same thing. But in my mind the hands-down winner is Digifit. I set up a lap distance around my block and the app records the lap within a few feet every time around. It also does an excellent job of communicating with my Garmin heart rate monitor (with an ANT+ dongle) on the iPhone. It has modes for walking, running, hiking, cycling, etc.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i have an android and use sports tracker (sportstracklive.com). I haven't used it for walking/running but I have used it for bicycling. It seems pretty acurate. I have driven the same route I cycled to check it out. It uses GPS software as well. And surprisingly if I check what it says my calories burned are compared to MFP its less than 5 calories different!!!

It has cycling, gym, hiking, mountain biking, running, running track, running trail, running treadmill, sailing, skiin, snowboarding, trikking, and walking as options. It was a free app for the android market. Like I said I have only used it for cycling but it seems pretty accurate in speed, elevation, distance and calories burned for me.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I use RunKeeper and so far I really like it.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I use My Tracks from Google on an Android phone. It does what I want.
  • brittvee
    brittvee Posts: 123
    Options
    Endomondo works great, use it everyday! ;)
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i use runkeeper but sometimes it doesn't calculate where I am correctly and in 5 seconds I've run 1/2 a mile according to it.
    I've remedied that by making sure to check my location on my map then starting runkeeper.
  • Tots77
    Tots77 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I think I will stick with runkeeper and do a lap around the park a few times to see what it does. Maybe it was just a gps glitch.