Eating Out

Options
Having trouble finding nutritional info for restaurants. Any suggestions?

Replies

• AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    We always kind of know where we are going to eat, so I will look it up online at home before we leave. If I can't do that because we're already out and about, I have a smart phone and I just look it up on there. But I believe restaurants are required to give you nutritional info if you request it?
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    most restaurants would have salads, or grilled chicken and veggies, or grilled salmon
    Or even a steak is a good option.

Just skip the bread, fries, and all the bad stuff.....
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I disagree about salads. You must be careful because many of them have more calories than the other food. Most Chain restaurants have nutrition information online as for other restaurants, ask for the information. Most of the local places that I eat at are very nice about giving me information.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    When you eat out, unless you get the nutrition facts you should be prepared for a lot of hidden calories and sodium.

If you are treating yourself, just get what you like and if you want to, try to get something that seems healthier. You can also cut your portions in half when they bring it to you or before you even see it and put it in a to-go bag.

I would try to go to a place that does have nutritional facts... but if you can't, I would go with a very plain meal (kinda defeats the purpose of eating out!). I went to pf changs last month and picked the lowest calorie entree and it was stilll a lot of cals (salmon with asparagas I think, and rice). If you go with a salad, keep the sauces to the side and only use a little bit. For me, I am doing low carb and some of the 600 calorie salads with dried cranberries and little apricots were too many carbs for me.

Unless its a restaurant you really want to go to or love and you're going to consider it a treat, or eat very plain, I'd go with a place that has nutrition facts and look it up before you go.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, O only go out on "free day".
    I refuse to pay good money for food that's not totally fabulous.
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you have Droid or IPhone, MFP database is pretty good. It has tons of info on most of the country wide chain restaurants.
    For example Bahama Breeze, Ted Montana grill, Hard Rock cafe are all in the MFP database. If you order salads ask for a dressing on the side.
    I think your best bet is either grilled chicken or grilled salmon with veggies, and I also asked them to pack 1/2 of my meal to go before they even bring it out.
    Works like a charm :-)
  • ebsshassan
    ebsshassan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/7DoF4ydlfNA
    this video might help
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/7DoF4ydlfNA
    this video might help

thanks, that gives some great ideas and I love that he chose the Cheesecake factory