filling cereals

Options
MLR930
MLR930 Posts: 95 Member
What healthy cereal is both filling and good for you? I find that most cereals are just too sugary (even the ones not geared towards children) and I end up hungry again an hour later. I'm sick of the Fiber One cereals.

Replies

• midge69
    midge69 Posts: 22
    Options
    oatmeal maybe
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I moved to oatmeal for that reason. I think that a lot of time, the pure carbs with no protein is the factor that makes you hungry sooner. I know that when I have a very carb dense meal, I tend to be hungrier sooner. Eating protein with every meal seems to make them last longer.

If I have to eat cereal, I do also like granolas. I try to find the most low sugar one I can. They tend to be pretty high in carbs and calories, but they are pretty filling.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I find kashi go lean is filling because its high in protein. I also find steel cut oatmeal is really filling. More filling than regular oatmeal.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oats with flax or chia seeds. Add fruit of choice and/or favorite yogurt
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I eat Whole Foods protein & fiber crunch every day! Love it!! I alternate between berry flax and honey & almond flavors.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    the most filling cereal ive ever had is the fiber twig cereal from stop and shop...its literally just fiber twigs no flavor no nothing at 50 calories per serving and a whole lot of carbs. BUT it fills you up

youre better off with some steel cut oats or oatmeal mixed with protein powder!!! thats very filling!
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Porridge, it's the only one that works for me:)
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    I like granola (we make ours at home- tons of recipes online) with milk, yogurt, or juice on top. We use lots of flax, chia, and other nuts and seeds so it's very filling
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I like Raisin Bran Crunch... I use yogurt instead of milk on it though, so I think that makes it a little more filling.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I have eggs, some bell pepper, and sometimes bacon each day for breakfast. I am not hungry at all!

But when I wasn't on this induction phase of low carb, I *loved* raisin bran and frosted mini wheats. I don't remember being hungry too soon after, especially with the raisin bran. However, if I were to eat those I would still have some protein with them because that is what helps keep my blood sugar stead and not skyrocket... and then get really hungry.

Maybe try mixing protein with a high fiber cereal, you'll probably have lots of energy and lower the blood sugar hit from whatever is in the cereal. ANother alternative would be something like a bran cereal with NO sugar, but add some fruit on top, and of course some protein on the side.

I used to be hungry all the time.... and this works for me (the first statement). I do look forward to adding a few complex carbs back into my diet.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I eat Whole Foods protein & fiber crunch every day! Love it!! I alternate between berry flax and honey & almond flavors.

This sounds good. Berry and almond together seems like it would be even better..
  • mrcreach
    mrcreach Posts: 5
    Options
    I eat Special K Protein Plus. I eat 2 servings which has 20 grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber and only 200 calories with almond milk and greek yogurt so it adds up to around 300 calories. I don't like oatmeal even though I know it's probably the best.
  • ocukor1
    ocukor1 Posts: 66
    Options
    Ezekiel is good for you, it is not very filling for me, and it is quite caloric, but it is very healthy food if nutritions are what you're after and can spare extra calories.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Grape nuts is the bacon of the cereal world.

That, and oatmeal.

Ideally, they should be eaten at night before you go to sleep because grains help produce melatonin.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I love strawberry or chocolate shredded mini wheat bites. They're great just to snack on.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean Crunch.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Regular yogurt with a serving of fruit and 1/2 serving of Grape Nuts is very filling. And the fat in the yogurt makes the satiety last longer--well into lunch. But even lowfat would do well. And it is one of the few truly crunchy foods that are good for you.
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    I love cereal! My top two are Shredded Wheat & Bran and Kashi Go Lean. I eat cereal with soy milk because I'm lactose intolerant. It also has less calories than skim milk and tastes better, in my opinion!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Oh, and natural yogurts (without pectin) have a more pleasant texture. Try Emme Swiss yogurt or Fage Total (regular version). I use plain, or if I have extra calories for the day and the fruit isn't sweet enough, the Fage with honey.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    oatmeal maybe

^^^^ Oatmeal with cinnamon. About the best bang for the calorie buck anywhere.

If you want it really stick-with-ya filling, try refrigerator oatmeal. Oatmeal + yogurt = win.