what are you calorie goals?

Options
I'm pretty new on here so I'm just getting used to everything, but so far I love this site! I was just noticing that a lot of people are saying that their recommended calorie intake is 1200 each day.. why do so many people end up with the same goal? Are there people out there with any other amount besides 1200?

Replies

• sarah0426
    sarah0426 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm pretty new on here so I'm just getting used to everything, but so far I love this site! I was just noticing that a lot of people are saying that their recommended calorie intake is 1200 each day.. why do so many people end up with the same goal? Are there people out there with any other amount besides 1200?
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    mine is 1200 i think its because i have set myself as havin a sedementary job then it offsets my caloires by a 600 calorie deficit
    and so then what ever exercise i take ? gives as extra calories..
  • ramsam70
    ramsam70 Posts: 37
    Options
    Mine actually calculated as 1460, with me at a moderate lifestyle. I haven't checked anywhere else to see how that compares, but I am set to lose about 13-15 lbs. I kind of wanted to look into a few other calorie calculators to compare the totals. I used to do SELF online, but just found this ,and I like it's easy formats. It had me pretty close to 1400 calories also. My biggest thing is getting in that regular exercise and sticking to those calorie numbers. Lately I have had a lot harder time losing a few pounds, and it is time to get positve and get moving!
  • ladylaycee
    ladylaycee Posts: 114
    Options
    mine is 1,500 but you can change it anytime!
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    mine is 1710 which is strange... i am a waitress and therefor i gu ess i need more..ugh....good luck:wink:
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1460.

5'7" tall, 145 pounds, and hoping to lose 1lb/week down to 130.

I'm not sure think those are the right goals for anymore, though, and after reading all the great info on here, I'm probably eating too few cals. 1200 is a goal for someone with a LOT of weight to lose. If you only have a little bit, that's going to starve your body and hinder you to no end.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I got 1200 because MFP estimates my daily needs at about 1600 cals since I chose a sedentary lifestyle and it then builds in a deficit. It won't give you anything lower than 1200 calories because if you're eating less than that, you're probably going to suffer from undernourishment and you'll be eating less than your BMR, or the number of calories you need to just stay alive without any movement at all.

That said, I know a bit more about myself than their algorithms do, so I changed it to fit my needs. I'm not actually sedentary, but other than my workouts I really just walk around campus. After I log my workouts I generally need to eat 1700-2000 calories.
  • sarah0426
    sarah0426 Posts: 26
    Options
    i do love this site because I feel like it's such a healthy approach.. I'm glad that it encourages people to stay away from starving yourself or anything unhealthy like that. it's so counteractive to do that! I can actually follow this plan--and I love that I get to eat my exercise calories--what a good incentive to exercise!! :happy:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I started out with 1200 calories but now I'm maintaining so I'm up to 1820 calories and that's without exercising.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and have lost about 15 pounds (now down to 172) I exercise 6-7 days a week, averaging around a 400 exercise calorie burn per day. I eat about 1500-2000 cal per day based on my daily activity level.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am now set at 1250 with a goal of 2lbs a week and sedentary lifestyle. I am a stay at home mom. Some days I am really active cleaning the house, playing with the kids and running errands. But others I am no so much. I try to keep it around that goal whether I am active or not. I don't really get too many true workouts in (although I have just started leg lifts and crunches every night)
    My calorie goal has gone from (I believe) 1440 since I started.
    Good luck to you. Heather