Insanity?

Options
I've been thinking about doing the Insanity challenge and I've seen some of the videos and I get a rush to go and do some of those exercises, but I have one problem, time. I'm currently doing both work and school and I know you have to work out everyday, but I'm afraid that there's gonna be some days where I can't do it, and if I don't do it everyday, does it lose some affect? If you do it how do you manage your time for exercise and your daily life?

Replies

• dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started Insanity last year and have done three rounds. I work full time, married, and have a toddler. If you want something bad enough you will find the time. In order to get my workouts done, I woke up at 4:00am to get my workouts in before everyone else woke up and before work. The first month workouts are 40 minutes and the second month are an hour. Is an hour to much time to give towards yourself? You will just have to learn how to prioritize.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Between my two jobs, I often work between 10-12 hours a day, have time to spend with my family, and I still find time to workout every day. It is simply a matter of priorities. The Inanity workouts are mainly about 45-60 minutes long, and like any exercise... the more consistently you do them and stick to your schedule the better results you will see.

Here are some suggestions:

1) Set your alarm clock a bit earlier and wake up early to get your workout in. Not only will you have it done before your day gets started, but it will leave you feeling totally charged up and more alert for your day.

2) Find a support group where you can "check-in" every day about your workout. This added bit of accountability really helps in pressing play every day. I have an active Insanity support group on Facebook, you could message me for more information.

3) Schedule time in your schedule to workout. Treat your workout like another class or part of your job and schedule it into your day. This makes sure that it is a priority and that you will have time set aside for it. Then protect that time like you would one of your classes.

If you want to make it happen, you can certainly find 45 minutes in your schedule to block off to make your health and fitness a priority for you.

Greg
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    I started Insanity last year and have done three rounds. I work full time, married, and have a toddler. If you want something bad enough you will find the time. In order to get my workouts done, I woke up at 4:00am to get my workouts in before everyone else woke up and before work. The first month workouts are 40 minutes and the second month are an hour. Is an hour to much time to give towards yourself? You will just have to learn how to prioritize.

Three rounds? Wow! And I'm not really a morning person. But I thought that the workouts were longer than 40 minutes? Anyway its tough for me to prioritize because I don't have a set day to day schedule, it always changes. Did you ever miss days when you couldn't do it at all?
  • greggags2
    greggags2 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I also have the problem of time because I work 2 jobs and one is landscaping so i have to leave by 7 am. The best thing i have found is waking up at 5 am and getting my workout done first thing so I dont have to worry about it the rest of the day and can finish whatever else i have to do for the rest of the day. Hope this helped and Good Luck!
  • BrightEyesx3
    Options
    Yikes, looks like I'm gonna be one of those people who turns into a morning person. But does waking up so early affect your mind if you don't get enough sleep?
  • greggags2
    greggags2 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You definitely still need to get enough sleep (7hrs at least) Its usually lights out for me by 9:30 so i can get my 7 hrs
  • BrightEyesx3
    Options
    You definitely still need to get enough sleep (7hrs at least) Its usually lights out for me by 9:30 so i can get my 7 hrs

Hmm, with homework and being wired after working late I usually don't go to bed until 11 pm - 2 am, depending
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of something shorterike Body Revolution. Only 30 minutes a day.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You've got time. For me finding time has meant waking up earlier and saying no to some social events, but even with a full-time job and some school I manage at least 1, usually 2 workouts a day. My boyfriend just asked if he could take me to lunch, my reply was "Sorry nope, I have my intense strength training day today, how about dinner cause I'll need a big recovery meal."

Try paying close attention to how you spend your time for a week and look for things you can do more efficiently (or skip). It really is worth it. I've never felt better, physically, emotionally (I've had problems with depression and since working out my mood is so much better) and I'm proud of myself in a way I never have been.

If you do start Insanity let me know. I ordered it yesterday and I would love a workout buddy to check in with and compare notes. If you're wires after working late why not work out when you get home instead of puttering around or watching tv?
  • unsa48
    unsa48 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'd suggest tryin Jillian Micheals' 30 Day Shred. It's about 20 minutes a day and lots of people have seen great results. I've just started it and it's great fun! :)
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about getting it, and i also work and go to school, plus have a 5 month old and train for 5ks. For me, I usually work out when i get home from school or right after work, and am trying to be a morning person, but that hasn't been successful so far :( I have cycled between JM 30 day shred, ripped in 30, and 6 week 6 pack and get bored, so thus why i'm thinking about getting Insanity.
  • BrightEyesx3
    Options
    Thanks everyone, keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to get the money to buy it later this month :smile:
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to get the money to buy it later this month :smile:
    Go check the Pinterest fitness "explore" section. There should be an Insanity logo pinned (was there earlier today). Click it. ;)
  • MileHighScott
    MileHighScott Posts: 35 Member
    Options

To answer your original question, if you do miss some days, that is fine just continue with the program. There is woman on my beach body 'team' that just finished Insanity and it took her something like 11 weeks to complete it as she had a ton of stuff pop up unexpectedly. She just posted results pics and she looked amazing!

It can be done. She said she focused hard on nutrition especially on the days she knew she wouldn't get a workout in.

Good luck! It is an amazing program.
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is an amazing program and you will get addicted to the results. I looooove it. My husband has also been doing it, he has missed some days and is still getting amazing results.