Chicken, beef, fish, pig or tofu?

Options
ZiezieO
ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
Chicken, beef, fish, pig or tofu? Which animal (sorry tofu to throw you in that group but oh well) serves the best nutritional values?

Replies

• VisBella
    VisBella Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on which cut of beef or pork, or what kind of fish. It also probably depends on which nutrients are desired. Salmon has lots of the proper Omegas, but I’m not sure about iron. Beef has iron, but not Omegas. Very interesting question. I’m looking forward to hearing what other people have to say. As far as I'm concerned, tofu has no redeeming qualities, but that's just me.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you are looking for and trying to cook. If you are only going to eat one of those for the rest of your life I would pick fish. But I can't cook my Indian fare without butter so cows need to come into the equation somewhere. I could happily eat nothing but Japanese food for the remainder of my days, but I would need a little bit of soy to go with the fish.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I eat all. And quite a bit. Except tofo.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    fish is healthy, but you don't want to eat too much of it because of mercury. Personally i'm a chicken fan if i had to choose one for life. but i like beef in terms of it takes a while to break down the protein in it
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    I eat all. And quite a bit. Except tofo.

This
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    fish is healthy, but you don't want to eat too much of it because of mercury. Personally i'm a chicken fan if i had to choose one for life. but i like beef in terms of it takes a while to break down the protein in it

Mercury risk varies based upon the type of fish.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    All if the above and everything in moderation. As others have said everything adds a little something important to your diet that the others are lacking. I'm a little anemic so I like to get in some beef to up my iron, fish has all the great omega's, chicken is super lean and very versatile and bacon is... Well bacon is necessary for life.

Tofu I could live without pretty easily though... Even when I went vegetarian for awhile I didn't really eat a lot of tofu, I got my protein from eggs milk beans and nuts.
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    Meat is a higher source of Heme iron but not nonheme iron. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
  • Nikiki
    Options
    Meat is a higher source of Heme iron but not nonheme iron. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/

And per this article heme iron is better absorbed than non-heme iron.
  • lyttlewon
    Options

And per this article heme iron is better absorbed than non-heme iron.

Yes. I wasn't arguing BTW just providing more information. The meat we eat typically gets all of their iron from nonheme sources so both are acceptable. Just depends on what your particular preferences and needs are.
  • Nikiki
    Options
    Gotcha, I was confused! I think iron is one of the few nutrients out there that the animal source is better than the plant source.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I don't like chicken, very little fish I like, lean beef for sure and a good pork chop. That's about it. Tofu is good but I don't go out of my way to eat it.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Tofu. I don't eat animals.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    chicken and tuna are best. Beef is best for high protien, pig should not even be considered a food. And I don't know about tofu.

Also have you considered soy by itself or soy milk. It is the only plant food that can give you all amino acids plus plenty of nutrients.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Probably tofu since I hate it the most.
    It's best served wrapped in sea weed and dipped in celery juice.
    As for me, I go with ALL OF THE ABOVE in combination, because life is to be lived.
    Buon Appetito:drinker:
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, tofu would be the best option because it is cholesterol free and has some fiber. I would says beans are the absolute best option because of they are high in protein and soluble fiber.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    chicken and tuna are best. Beef is best for high protien, pig should not even be considered a food. And I don't know about tofu.

Also have you considered soy by itself or soy milk. It is the only plant food that can give you all amino acids plus plenty of nutrients.

Pig should not even be considered a food?! Don't make me laugh.... Lol
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I eat all but never tofu. Yuck.

I eat little fish, little pork or red meat, but a lot more leaner meats but I do eat meat, not tofu.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Tofu
  • verapamil
    verapamil Posts: 94
    Options
    Tofu. I don't eat animals.

This.