Anyone training for their first Sprint Triathlon?

Options
jms3533
jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
Hello, I have just registered for my first sprint Triathlon, scheduled for October 7th. I'm interested in MFPers that are currently training for their first sprint triathlon so that we can exchange training ideas, findings, etc. Thanks!

Replies

• awagz
    awagz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first sprint triathlon on July 21. I finished a mini sprint on June 10, and I plan to do a couple more this Fall. Feel free to add me and good luck with your training!!!
  • brandee1212
    brandee1212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm going the full monty and signing up for an Olympic on 9/3 (first Tri ever). I'm happy to exchange tips with you ladies (I'm in desperate need)!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about doing one in August, more than likely gonna do one. I think it's like a 300m swim, 10 mile bike ride, and a 5k. I run about 2 times a week longer distances 5 miles or more, bike ride once a week 20+ miles, and I have a pool so I go swimming on occassion. I am not too worried about having energy for it, I say that now, let's see when I am in the middle of my bike ride in August though. It's an event that benefits a friend from highschool's daughter who was diagnosed with neuroblastoma a form of cancer found in children.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    look for the triathlon thread - butters started this month's one. You'll find lots of similar people on there.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Did my first sprint two years ago, and several more since then. Currently training for my first Olympic Distance. Actually the race is next week, so I guess I'm just about done with the training part and moving on to the doing :)
  • mjrnner
    mjrnner Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am doing a sprint on 8.2, it's not my first, but my first in 5 years so it feels like it! Happy to trade tips! congrats on your big weight loss!
  • smithk165
    smithk165 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did my first sprint triathalon last august, and another one in the spring of this year. It is great fun, make the training fun!

Be sure that you relax in the swim. The goal is to finish the swim with plenty of "gas in the tank". I went out too fast in the 2nd tri swim and was exhausted the rest of the event - not fun. Also, pool swimming is VERY different than open-water swimming. Be sure and get some open water swimming practice prior to the event.

For the bike, again, have energy left to complete the run. Be sure and drink plenty, and if it is hot, I like 1/2 strenght gatoraid. Whatever, be sure and replentish your salts.

In the end, have fun! Have fun training, and have fun at the event. It is great fun, and a lot of good people.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Ive done an Oly, Half-Iron, and Iron. Let me know if you need any advice! To start, practice your routine for T1/T2, use body glide, make sure you can run in wet socks without getting blisters, proper fueling, and HAVE FUN!!