whey protein powder?

Options
Why is it so disgusting?! I made a strawberry banana smoothie and had to dump it out because just smelling it made me gag, I couldn't take a drink of it to save my life. The directions said to add a full scoop, so maybe I should use less? Let me know what I'm doing wrong because I do not want this $20 tub of powder to go to waste.

Replies

• epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Probably bought a really bad protein powder. Some are delicious, in my opinion.
  • ashleymichelle06
    ashleymichelle06 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You're probably right.
  • bbateman123
    bbateman123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Check the expiration dates on the cans, i have seen a few past date. I started using Body Fortress, can get it at Wal-mart for about 15 bucks for the 2lb can, the strawberry and cookies n cream taste really good with milk!
  • ashleymichelle06
    Options
    The kind I got was "Pure Protein" from Walmart. I think what I'll try is a smaller amount, because the scoop is pretty big.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a lot of experimentation to find the powder you like. My main interest in a protein powder are the ingredients & the nutritional info on the side of the package. Many powders are packed with sugars and contain very little protein, or have no added vitamins or minerals. The good news however, is that you can tailor even the worst powder into something palatable...or even delicious! :smile:

Don't like the one you have? Too chalky? Add some fresh strawberries or banana to the blender. Too sweet? Thin it out with some ice or milk (regular, soy, almond, coconut, etc.,) and sometimes...all it really needs is a Tbsp of sugar-free syrup, like Torani vanilla.

You'll get it, just keep at it. :drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    some stores have sample sizes you can buy.

also, did you add a liquid? i find that water makes it taste funny, and milk is just gross when mixed with fruit (imo) so i use orange juice.

PS: add all ingredients separate in your food diary.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I use MuscleTech from SAMs Club and think it tastes pretty good!
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I only use half a normal scoop of protein powder in anything. I also can not STAND the taste of them with Milk. I have the body fortress whey protein powder in vanilla.
    1 scoop metamucil
    1/2 scoop protein powder
    Water to fill
    1 cup frozen berries (any mixed fruit)
  • Traeyek
    Traeyek Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    C if walmart will let u exchange it for Body Fortress it has a nice tastee but use a blender when u mix it its makes it taste better
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Whey, the chocolate. I mix it with skim milk. It taste fine. I have only had it 2 days, I'm hoping it works well. My sister in law is a nurse and she is on a program at her hospital. They have to have 80 grams of protien a day and stay under 1300 calories! She has lost 75 lbs in about 5 months. She tracks everything she eats everyday!
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    How did you prepare it? Many protein powders say you can "stir, shake or blend" but I find they're almost all nasty unless I blend them. Flavors chosen can make a big difference too... I personally highly prefer vanilla, as it's sweet and I find it "neutral" enough that I can add various fruit (or a tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder... only 20 cal) and get a very different taste.

If you open your tub of protein and it smells nasty, there's something off about it. It may still be usable, but will definitely not be palatable. I've had that happen before and I could never bring myself to put it in anything when the smell makes me gag... might take a couple of tries to find a powder that works best for you.

The best thing is if you can find sample sizes, of if you know any RL friends who take protein powders - ask for their advice... see if they'll spot you a sample of their favorite type and you can see if it's any better. :)
  • ashleymichelle06
    Options
    I put a whole banana, some strawberries, some almond milk and the scoop of powder and blended it.

I definitely need to add ice or use frozen fruit, because even after refrigeration it still tasted lukewarm, which adds to the gross factor.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I purchased the chocolate flavored SOY protein powder from Walmart. It is sold in a smaller size than the whey powder they offer.
    I mixed it with iced coffee made with instant coffee and a sweetner packet. I adjusted the amount of powder I used based on the size of the glass or cup I was drinking out of. Smelled and tasted great! No gas issues. Container consumed over about a week and a half...
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I *love* my Dymatize all natural. I get it from Vitacost.

http://www.vitacost.com/dymatize-all-natural-elite-whey-protein-isolate

I found my shake recipe here on MFP. Essentially, I mix 1 scoop protein, 1/3 cup cottage cheese, 1 teaspoon of some flavor of instant sugar-free fat-free pudding, 1 cup of water and 1 banana that I have sliced and frozen before-hand. You put all that in a blender and mix until creamy smooth. It's delicious and versatile in how you choose your flavors.

Example: I might use vanilla protein powder, cheesecake pudding mix, and add 5 frozen strawberries in with the frozen banana slices.; This results in a lovely "Strawberry Cheesequake" taste-alike. If you're a Dairy Queen addict, you know how good that is.

:flowerforyou:
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    chocolate and vanilla are really the only flavors that taste good. And variants of them. (cookies and creme) Anything fruity as a general rule tastes like *kitten*.

Also, use milk instead of water to blend.
  • ashleymichelle06
    Options
    I will have to try other add-ins to make it taste better too. But cottage cheese?
  • jaygregz
    jaygregz Posts: 104
    Options
    I really like the taste of the pure protein.. but only in vanilla. If all else fails just sale it to me.. lol.
  • ashleymichelle06
    Options
    LOL it is the vanilla cream flavor.

I need to try a few new recipes before I give up on it though.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Just wondered why you all feel you have to drink this stuff? Don't hate me I'm just curious