food before morning workout

Options
2»

Replies

• kittenmcgowan
    kittenmcgowan Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I woke up super early this morning (3:45am for some reason) and by the time it was time to head out to the gym some 2.5 hours later I was hungry, so I grabbed one piece of bread and put some vegemite on it. Enough to curb the hunger pangs and keep me going until 9am or so when I leave the gym and go foraging for my Saturday morning Wildberry Smash berry smoothie from McDonalds./
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    oops
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp of almond butter--I have trouble eating first thing is the morning, and this is the only thing I have found I am not "tasting" in the middle of a workout as well as giving me a burst of energy about 2/3 of the way into an hour long workout. And yes, every time I forget the almond butter, I drag through my entire workout.
  • sunryzer
    sunryzer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    After getting a couple of pints of water in me I prepare my protein shake with added berries (it is breakfast after all :) ) and drink a third before starting, up to a third half way through, and the rest after I finish.

Shake recipe:
    - 400ml Alpro vanilla soya milk
    - 28g (one scoop) of soya protein isolate
    - my typical berries are ~100g of raspberries and 75g of blueberries or blackberries
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Anything. I just need a little something to get me going. I can't workout on an empty stomach, and I need to eat when I get up; it's one of the first things I do to start my day, right after feeding my dog. =)
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Nothing as it would mean getting up an extra hour earlier just to let it digest and I don't have that kinda time...
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies! You have all given me many options to try. :happy:
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I just ate 2 poached eggs, a sandwich thin, 50 OJ and coffee. I will be doing a 2 1/2 hour workout now. :) I always eat eggs of some kind and a sandwich thin before my workouts in the AM.
  • Cervantest
    Cervantest Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Stupid question I know but.... do you cook the oatmeal before blending it? This question was supposed to be to the person who suggested the oatmeal, whey protein, peanut butter. Sorry!
  • johnalbritton
    Options
    I have friends in the army and they say workout before you eat anything and that is very important. The exercise you do before you eat will help metabolize the food you eat after your workout much faster
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have half of a chocolate whey protein shake on the way there, the other half on the way home. Then breakfast.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My morning workout is always a run, so I eat nothing. I'll get a wicked side cramp if I eat or drink anything. I run on empty and refuel when I get to where I'm going.
  • Karen_ZH
    Karen_ZH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I always have a protein shake when I first get up - Optimum Nutrition is my favorite brand.
  • MrsSherrill
    Options
    i normally eat something small like a serving of malt-o-meal with 1.5% milk or a banana, or both if im super hungry but normally just one or the other =)
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I usually do a protein shake with fruit and workout about a half hour later. I make my shake by blending 1 cup skim milk, with a scoop of whey powder (usually chocolate), and 1/2 cup of berries. Post workout I have a cup of fruit with a cup of greek yogurt and a touch of honey for flavor.
  • Katie0429
    Katie0429 Posts: 15
    Options
    I took a nutrition class in college and i learned that its best to eat a small amount of food that is about 50/50 carbs and protein. (like toast and a cheese stick). The carbs feed into the cycle that feeds your muscles and will help you stay moving longer. The protein will help muscle building and keep you full. Trust me, it works. I have tried not eating anything and eating a small meal or snack, and it makes a world of difference. Try it once, and trust me you'll do it all the time! :) I also drink coffee too, and some studies show that caffeine helps too.
  • JavaArk
    JavaArk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I need to eat something in the mornings/ Coffee and water ALWAYS start my day. Then usually I have whole wheat extra fiber toast with 1 tablespoon peanut butter. Sometimes I add half a banana on top of toast. This is my norm, but eggs and oatmeal get thrown in the mix occasionally.
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    poptarts :)

Kinda hating on you right now. :P