Should I see a nutritionist?

Options
2»

Replies

• marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Cheese, soup, deli meat, and anything like dressing or sauce that comes from a can or jar will have a lot of sodium. Feel free to stalk my diary I tend to not each much sodium. It would be a wonderful experiment for you to see if reducing these items in your diet will help you. I agree that making your own from scratch will help a lot. It's easy to make your own salad dressing for example. Also just grill or cook a bunch of chicken or turkey at the beginning of the week and season as you like. I guarantee it will have a lot less sodium even if you add some salt yourself-even just a tiny but if salt can impart a lot of flavor. Right now your taste buds are used to a lot of salt but that will change. Meanwhile herbs and spices are great for flavor and most contain no sodium.

GOOD LUCK!
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Lunch meat and cheese has alot of salt in it....Try cooking your own chicken breasts on the weekends and cut back on the cheese.
  • kissenkate15
    Options
    Lunch meat and cheese has alot of salt in it....Try cooking your own chicken breasts on the weekends and cut back on the cheese.

Thanks I will try that.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I won't say not to see a nutritionist but your time would probably be better spent on a medical website that will give you the same information. Like others mentioned, any processed food is loaded with sodium, I try to stay away from the bulk of it. Eating fresh fruit and veggies is your best bet :)
  • Starqueg
    Starqueg Posts: 39
    Options
    One of your recurring culprits is deli meat. Instead of buying a package of sliced meat, buy meat and cook it. I buy thin sliced chicken and separate it into 3 ounce portions. I freeze some and put some in the fridge. I can then make different types of chicken depending on what I'm eating (different spice mixtures). It cooks up in 5 minutes on the stove and tastes far better than the packaged deli meats.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I think nutritionists are worthless.
    Eating healthy 90% of the time is actually quite simple. I eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fruits and veggies.
    Simple deal.
    And once the lifestyle becomes habit, it gets easy.
    Just an opinion....:bigsmile:
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I noticed that the cheese you eat is double the sodium mine has look into the kind that have less sodium in it mine has 70cals a slice and 90 sodium. yours is 240 in sodium 90cals. I would cook my own chicken breasts too thats what I do and I cook them pretty healthy try pepper, and italian seasoning with a bit of garlic salt and grill them! eating the canned chicken and tuna is high in sodium! the Great Value - Original Diced Tomatoes With Green Chilies had 380mg of sodium can you just dice up your own tomatos it will be fresh and lessss sodium. try to eat more healthy fresh stuff than processed foods. for dinner i will have chicken breast and carrots and broccoli. or chicken breast with chopped up bell peppers so i try to keep it as fresh as i can. i would change your deli meat or eat less of that kind because its pretty high up there too. what i do with my sandwiches is i have done away with the mayo and just use mustard that will help you too cutting out that mayo sodium.

you also eat this bread Sara Lee - 100% Whole Wheat Soft & Smooth No High Fructose Corn Syrup, 2 slice its 140 cals and 210 sodium. my bread is Safeway Kitchens - 100% Whole Wheat Bread 100 calories for two slices and 160 sodium.

snacks try eating more fruits or veggies or nuts. Emerald - Natural Almonds (100 Calorie Pack), they have 0 sodium and are super healthy besides it has 4grams of carbs. I noticed that you eat Nutragrain - Strawberry Cereal Bar, 1 bar 120 cals 24 grams of carbs 125 in sodium.

so big tip would be when you go grocery shopping get your bread and compare them. get your deli meats and compare them and i have since developed a system and i know what option is more healthier.
  • saritaeliz86
    saritaeliz86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it is completely worthless. I would definitely cut back on sodium--I don't know if your drinking diet sodas..but that was part of my problem. Processed foods as well, canned foods, and prepared foods like they said before. I went to a nutritionist simply because I was stuck, the nutritionist just explained to me that I was eating too much, (I thought I knew portions and I was wrong) so I wasn't really eating 1200 cals I was eating double... so it helped me. I would say try the suggestions on this thread first, and if it doesn't help then go see a nutritionist, dietician or your primary care doctor.
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    The problem with salt is that its in almost everything. Any type of natural fruit or vegetable which is not canned or frozen will have almost 0 salt, additionally some lean meats have almost no salt but many can have alot you need to look at the package. To be honest I don't feel a nutritionist would be beneficial in your case because it is pretty much common sense as to what has salt or not you just have to be aggressive about how you go about it. Just remember two things: first don't buy anything that is prepackaged and second it is impossible to eliminate salt with an American diet but you can drastically reduce it. Most likely you will still have high blood pressure but everyone has some type of health issue. just keep doing what your doing.
  • lmwoodward13
    Options
    It can be very helpful to talk with a professional to help you get a handle on your high blood pressure. Lots of good advice from other comments though.
  • lmwoodward13
    Options
    don't waste your money on a nutritionist,

There is a thing about nutritionists. Its like claiming to be a 'scientician'. A person who is a professional expert in human diet is called a dietician, and it is illegal to call yourself one unless you have a recognised qualification and actually know what you are doing. However 'nutritionist' doesnt mean anything, so anyone can say they are one. If ever you meet a nutritionist, ask why they arent a dietician.

I am going to call myself a nutritionist and you can send me money to tell you to eat more fibre, more veg and drink more water, cut down on bad fats, sat and sugar...

that will be a large amount of money please.....

I just have to say that as someone who graduated with a BS in dietetics and will become a registered dietitian (RD) your comment made me so happy! So many people have no idea what the difference is between a nutritionist and a dietitian. Thanks for advocating for us! Right now, even though I have my bachelors in dietetics, I call myself a nutritionist but I am so excited to officially be an RD!