Does anyone eat bison??

Options
I saw where someone was advertising that I could buy a whole bison at 8.25 dollars per lb. I'm not sure if that is a good deal or not but it seems like a really good source of protein that is low in fat. From the ad, "According to the USDA Handbook, Bison is 2.8 percent fat and 35 percent protein while beef is 27.9 percent fat and 27 percent protein.Like most bison, ours are naturally robust and do not need or benefit from antibiotics or hormones." I never ate bison but at those numbers if it didn't taste awful I'd consider it.

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    It tastes very much like beef, and I've never not enjoyed it. Keep in mind with it being leaner you will want to cook it with butter or some other fat as it will be very tough and dry otherwise.
  • maddicrawf
    maddicrawf Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've had it as a burger once and I loved it; it was really good and lean. They recommended it to be cooked medium if I remember correctly. Ostrich burgers are also very good.
  • jaygregz
    jaygregz Posts: 104
    Options
    So is $8.25 per lb a good price?
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    That's a LOT of bison!! I'd see if you can buy half or even a quarter unless you have a Dugger size family to feed! Not sure on te price, seems a little high though, I'd shop around. I like bison, the above poster is right, with it being so lean you have to be. Careful it doesn't get dry and tough. I've had bison steaks made rare and they were good, bison stew is tasty, also burgers are good.

When you look for recipes search specifically for bison recipes or even venison which is also super lean so that you know the recipe accounts for how lean the meat is.
  • jaygregz
    jaygregz Posts: 104
    Options
    I've had venison and ostrich. I do enjoy both. Just a little concerned of the price. Not sure a lot of people around here sale bison. I have never seen it in our stores.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Ok I did some quick googling and found prices ranging from $5 per lb for burger meat to $30 per pound for steaks so I'd say the $8.25 is a fair price especially if it includes processing
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    if this is the on the 'on the hoof' price I would say no. Not a good price. We get ground bison for around $6.50 a pound. We have Bison ranches in the area though so you may be paying more if you don't have a local source. Where are you located? We are in Colorado.