Where am I going wrong ???

Options
Hi folks !!

Last week I worked out at the gym for 5 days doing a mixture of spin , circuits , boxercise and pump classes .
I calculate all my calories down to a T .

Today I had breakie then went to the gym I done a gym workout mixture of cardio and weights then I done a 45 body pump class !!
I didn't have any water at the gym as I was getting weighed at weight watchers right after the pump class !!

I somehow put on 2 POUNDS ! What the hell ?

I spoke to the team leader and she said if I've just done the gym then right after it you weigh heavier but she didn't explain y ?

Any ideas

Debs x

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I spoke to the team leader and she said if I've just done the gym then right after it you weigh heavier but she didn't explain y ?

You only get heavier when you put things into your body. Water, food/etc. If you drink more than you sweat, you will weigh more.

If your 'team leader' thinks that you can go do an activity, take in no water/food, and weigh more after that activity, then she is probably a middle school dropout.

Also, if you weigh yourself on two different scales, you can get two different results.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    ps, weight gain the next day after exercise is water weight.
  • Debbie_baby2012
    Options
    So should you not drink water the day before you get weighed ?
    I usually drink at least 1 litre of water a day because I do the gym and I need it. !

Team leader is a bit of a loser n keep hitting me with lame answers that she can't explain , just random pointless facts ?

Any ideas to tackle water retention before weigh in day ?
  • Debbie_baby2012
    Options
    I just weigh myself on the weight watchers scales as I know two different scales two different weights how odd x
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Any ideas to tackle water retention before weigh in day ?
    The only time you can take an accurate weight without worrying about water consumption is first thing in the morning, after urinating, before you eat or drink anything. All other measurements are subjective to what you did during the day.
  • julie2475
    julie2475 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This happened to me last week too! its so annoying when you are working hard every day! I was going to gym every day burning loads of calories and not eating over 1200 calories but somehow managed to put on 4 lbs!!! arrghhh! it has came off agin but very depressing! stick at it though !
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Stop obsessing over weighing yourself.
    I weigh myself daily upon awaking before eating or drinking but after a good morning pooh.:drinker:
    And I record any gains the instant I enter a newer, lower number.
    EXAMPLE: If I was 199.9, then saw my weight creeping down day after day, I would not record a new weight on MFP until that scale said 198.9.
    And I record 198....and so on....
    Makes it more fun for me, but some people who stress out over the scale would go insane doing this.
    I get it.
    To each his own.
    I also track progress with bodyfat. Weight is not the whole picture, and the scale can lie as badly as the man in the mirror.
    You can check here for free: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
    Something else to obsess over? Not al all.
    Remember, you rule the numbers - not the other way around.
    Have a great day!:flowerforyou:
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising that much, it may be that you put on weight from muscle gain.
  • Debbie_baby2012
    Options
    Just hard to keep myself motivated since I worked hard ate the right things n put on weight ???
    Can't understand y ??

Just knocked my confidence a little !!
    Then this team leader at weight watchers just tells me alot of non sense and can't give me any real helpfull advice ??

I will try weighing myself from now on not have any breakie or water and do ot that way !!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong, and DEFINITELY don't cut back on your water because of the scale. Hydration is way more important. If your eating is on track, then this could just be one of those weird fluctuations we all go through at some point. Have you been takn measurements or accurate body fat percentages? If so, you could compare those nd see how you're doing. But please don't get discouraged b/c of one funky weigh-in; it sounds like you're doing a great job.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you aren't drinking water, you are probably retaining water. I know it sounds contrary, but you need water to flush your system, especially if you take in a lot of sodium. Plus, if you are dehydrated, your body will hold onto the fluid you do have. Drink more water and you'll likely see the numbers go down on the scale.
  • Debbie_baby2012
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement brandy much appreciated !!

This time I am giving it a right go and completely dedicated to making this work !!

Ok I will continue to drink 1-2 litres a day as norm. !!

Im eating my goal cals and just about all my exercise cals is this right ??
    Just trying to pin point if I done anything wrong or of its just one of they unexplained fluctuations ?
  • JustMaxine55
    JustMaxine55 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Never EVER weigh in after exercise! You muscles are pumped and full of fluids....and that's always worth a couple of pounds. As someone else said, its best to weight yourself after 8 hrs of sleep, after you urinate and before you swallow anything!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Drink water, when you work out. You will dehydrate without it.

Don't get caught up in silly tricks in relation to weighing yourself. It simply doesn't matter whether you're a tiny bit heavier because you had a glass of water, or ate some food in the afternoon. Losing weight simply because you've dehydrated yourself is meaningless. It isn't fat loss - it's just dehydration, regained as soon as you do have a glass of water.
  • Debbie_baby2012
    Options
    I never dehydrate myself and I always drink water throughout the day !! So that's not my problem !

But I done 2 hours of exercise this morn without water as my team leader said previously not to drink the day of weigh in and I still put on weight lol

After exercise I went straight to get weighed .
    I will not go to the gym next Saturday morn and go n get weighed n c what happens x

Let's hope I can turn this frown upside down :-)
  • UWZander
    UWZander Posts: 70
    Options
    Just get a scale, and weight yourself everyday at the same time. My weight goes up or down by two pounds everyday. It's normal. But log your weight everyday and make a graph of it, I would put money that it is negatively sloped, but with lots of small ups and downs. Weighing yourself once a week gives you only a small picture as it can easily be off by your water weight. Or you can just get your body fat % measured once a month to see actual change.
  • Debbie_baby2012
    Options
    You only get heavier when you put things into your body. Water, food/etc. If you drink more than you sweat, you will weigh more.

If your 'team leader' thinks that you can go do an activity, take in no water/food, and weigh more after that activity, then she is probably a middle school dropout.

I agree with the above comment someone made how can exercise affect ur weigh in ? Does it matter if ur muscles r pumped or not it's still the same weight ur carrying ?
  • Ruz456
    Ruz456 Posts: 99
    Options
    I typically weigh myself first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and try to keep it consistent from there. In terms of actually gaining weight you have to remember that muscle is denser then fat. So while you may have put on a pound or two you may have lost an inch or two on your waist. I would recommend taking some body measurements and re measure yourself when the number on the scale isnt what you had hoped for, you may be surprised.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I agree with the above comment someone made how can exercise affect ur weigh in ? Does it matter if ur muscles r pumped or not it's still the same weight ur carrying ?

well, typically I'm a few pounds lighter after serious exercise, even when I drink as I go. If I didn't drink I'd be much much lighter.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Start here: 1) Eat within a reasonable caloric intake for your goals. 2) Consume adequate protein and fat. 3) Consume at least enough carbs to allow you to train with intensity.

(And can you just use some common sense with food selection?)

4) Lift weights 5) Get rest. 6) Repeat 7) And quit worrying about all the other crap.

Be patient.

Edited by Sidesteal on Sat 06/16/12 07:45 PM

Hope this helps^^^
    From a friend on here that knows his stuff!!!!!