Does anyone ever feel disgusted with themselves?

Options
I ideally for my height, age, and frame should be at 112lbs. I'm about 130/132 and I just can't seem to lose it. I don't know what to eat or how much I should be excersizing and I'm just starting to feel really discouraged and grossed out that I can't lose this unwanted fat. Does anyone else go through this? How do you get through it?

Advice , tips , and encouragement GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Replies

• Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    Only when I binge out, cuz then my belly hurts. But I started out at 147lbs ( had no idea how big I was till now!) now I'm 120 and still for my height (5'2) I'm supposed to be 110?? Idk about that maybe 115 but I've been trying the last 5lbs since April. Keep at it ull get there. Start small like 30-40 mins a day of exercise-- I ran/walked-- and start at about 1300 cals eat back half exercise cals. Cut out prossesed food and pop and that's a good start. I'm trying low carb now to see if it helps me
  • girlonfire15
    girlonfire15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I definitely have those days, and today is one of them. It's probably got a lot to do with my time of the month, but I feel gross, bloated, and really down and out about my progress. You just have to fight through it because you won't always feel like this and if you're diligent with your exercise and diet, you WILL get to where you want to be.
  • Ruz456
    Ruz456 Posts: 99
    Options
    In terms of what to eat, eat Lean and Green, meaning eat lean protein (turkey, chicken, fish, egg whites, beans) and green (your fruits and vegetables) with lots of water. add in some healthy fats like walnuts, peanuts, cashews, olive oil, and you are all set to go. If you stick to eating food closest to its natural state you will be eating ALOT and still lose weight which is an awesome feeling.

in terms of exercise, for cardio do anything you want to get your heart rate up for 30-45 minutes, that includes running, biking, swimming, jump roping, dancing, rowing, all cardio is the same if it gets your heart rate up and you enjoy it then its working, no form of cardio is better than the other.

Its also recommended you do some weight training as well. when doing weight training youll probably want to lift 3 days a week every other day, like Monday Wednesday Friday or Tuesday Thursday Saturday, with your cardio days in between. when you lift, lift heavy and with good form! you WILL NOT bulk up like a body builder if you lift heavy, it simply will not happen.

You just gotta remember that everyday you do these things your body is getting better than the day before, Rome was not built in a day and neither is your body, changes will take time but they will come! just gotta keep with it and you'll be so glad you did, hopefully this helped for you
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's a really motivational post! I too eat things as non processed as possible and have been doing so for six months. My skin is so much better and I feel much healthier. I also like knowing exactly what I'm eating!
    Thank you Ruz!
  • Wuisyb
    Wuisyb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes; thanks for the motivation! Everything you said makes perfect sense now we just need to apply it.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    No matter what the scale says, I'll feel gross if I ate bad that day. And no matter what the scale says, I'll feel good if I ate clean and healthy that day. When I work out it not only makes me feel good because I know mentally I did something good for my body, but it makes me feel good physically. I love going after that runners high, and motivation wise, that is what I think of when I don't have motivation to work out - how GREAT I'll feel afterwards.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    The better I eat, the better I feel :) I'm currently at 136 with an ultimate goal weight of 120. I don't deprive myself, but I don't binge either. If I want something sweet, I'll opt for a Special K bar - no guilt :)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    So your goal weight is 112lbs, at 5'2". Have you determined your calorie goal? What exercise have you chosen? Do you include weight lifting? Do you log your calories accurately? Please provide this information.

When you don't have much left to lose, you need to make sure you eat enough, but without going over your calorie goal...otherwise you won't lose weight.

You are young and healthy, so you should be able to lose weight while getting fit and developing great habits. Also, you will look better and better, and feel stronger and healthier each day you follow the great plan that you set.

O f course you want to lose the unwanted fat...let that be your motivator! Your committment will really pay you each and everyday with a healthier, more beautiful you...that's just the way it work...so stick with it!
  • thistooshallpass7
    Options
    Thanks guys for all of your support. so your saying i could eat 1200 calories for awhile and i will reach my goal weight?
  • annemarie108
    Options
    It's all about trying things out. What works for me is doing something (anything) active once a day, and giving my body whatever it asks for, even if it is sugar.
  • lisa86326
    lisa86326 Posts: 20
    Options
    It's so hard to stop the self abuse. I constantly have this internal dialog that beats me up all day: I'm fat. I'm ugly. They don't like me. It paralyzes me. But be kind to yourself. We're meaner to ourselves than we would ever be to anyone else.
  • kimberlyhoward
    kimberlyhoward Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty disgusted with myself today, I threw a baby shower for my nephew and his girlfriend. My little great nephew will be here next month! So exited about that! I totally put eating right/ exercising out of my mind and just had fun. Problem is I didn't just stop at one cupcake! They weren't that big but now I feel like a failure! I've been working so hard! I even gave up pop, there's just no excuse, I totally gave in:sad:
  • sukaera
    sukaera Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think we've all experienced some difficulty liking ourselves to varying degrees of intensity; some disgusted, some uncomfortable..

Man, I know I've been there, when feelings overcome thoughts and I get sad or mad or just uncomfortable for eating terribly, not tracking, not being at my ideal weight, etc.

But I'm a curious creature by nature, so when I feel those feelings of negativity about my body (which leads into how I see myself as a person) I have to literally STOP and ask myself this question: Why am I feeling this way?

When I ask that question, I have a different answer depending on how the day went, if I'm stressed out, lacking sleep, feeling repressed emotionally, or maybe it's something from my past still bothering me today and I haven't felt the feelings I needed to at the time because they felt uncomfortable, and I just held onto it!

But even just asking myself, out loud, "What's wrong? How are you feeling? Why are you feeling this way?" I am taking away the negativity towards my BODY and how it LOOKS and addressing the REAL issue: How I FEEL.

Example of a Bad Day: I feel like **** because I can't fit into size: whatever number. What am I really upset about? Why do I feel like a failure because of some dress or jean size? What's really going on?
    Answer: I'm upset because I'm not making as fast progress as everyone else and I feel like I'm falling behind. I feel pressure because it's already summer and I don't have a "bikini body ready" like other girls my age.

And here I can begin to help myself understand what's going on behind-the-scenes. No one is a failure because they can't fit into a certain size! And I will reach a bikini worthy body in MY OWN time, not anyone elses, this is my journey, and I choose to be healthy and lose weight and be healthy gradually, not rapidly.

I think creating a more positive + healthier self talk is a choice and a process, with no ending. If you feel like crap after "eating something you weren't supposed to, now I hate my body" ask yourself this: Why do I hate my body for eating this? What can I do next time to not talk to myself this way/ feel this way /act this way?

It might be something as simple as making a few adjustments to your food intake, or talking to your mother about childhood insecurities, or chatting with friends about something. Even coming here and asking for help is a way you're seeking to end self hatred.
    Sending positive energy to all of you and myself who have looked in the mirror, the size of our jeans, the number on the scale, and judged our character for it. We are worth more than numbers and negativity, we are worth happiness and love. From ourselves.
  • lisa86326
    lisa86326 Posts: 20
    Options
    Sweet. Honest. Thanks. :heart:
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel like that too sometimes - I just want it off!
    I'm down to a weight I was comfortable at a few years ago, but I feel even more dissatisfied with my body than I was before I decided to lose weight...
    Anyways, I started MFP at 132 lb; I'm 5'0" and my goal is 117 lb. So far I've lost 8 lb by exercising almost everyday and eating anywhere between 1,200-1,900 calories (which gives me a net of anywhere between 1,100 and 1,600 calories). With any luck I should hit my goal in a couple of months :smile:
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AHealthyMe15
    AHealthyMe15 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh boy do I know this feeling. Some days I feel really proud of myself, other days I am down and depressed about what I ate or if I gave into temptation. I gets easier though, the more you change your lifestyle including eating and more exercise you will feel better more often, you even start craving healthy things once you have changed your diet! instead of wanting sweets I crave bananas or cottage cheese for desert, it all comes in time you WILL succeed!
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I never been disgusted with myself over weight, mostly because I lied, didn't do something when I had the chance or did something stupid. Weight is going to raise and fall, it is how humans are built.... So it is a fact of life, if you want to be lighter then focus on being lighter, instead of putting yourself down for being how you are.

Negativity never helped anything
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    IT can be a difficult thing to live with, especially if you, like myself, have come to base your self worth entirely on your weight, and also have poor self esteem, meaning you struggle to even find positive things about your personality and things you are good at to fall back on. For me, I always fell back on being good at losing weight and controlling that, when I couldn't control other things in my life, so if I cannot control my weight, in my eyes I view myself as a failure because I have lost control of the one thing I can totally control and no-one else can.

I am guilty of instantly turning on my body and my eating when I feel unhappy, or have had an argument with someone or feel I have not achieved anything in life. That can make life very painful and unpleasant.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Boy am I glad to see the posts in here. I've been so disgusted by myself and my lack of willpower lately. I've been so stressed at work, and I've been going from 8am to 11pm (only getting home from work/running at 10pm or later!). I've been grabbing the easy, not nutritious stuff, and eating the same things I'm feeding the kids. Every day I start out healthy, but dinnertime goes out the window. Ugh. I haven't gained weight, and I'm still working out, but I feel really gross about myself because of it. I know it's just life, but it's what always derails me every time I try to morph back into a healthy lifestyle. The demands on me are absolutely insane sometimes and there's never enough left for me and what I need.