Anti-inflamatories after workout?

Options
I have always had problems with tendonitis in my Achilles. I started doing 30DS, and it's definitely making me feel it in my Achilles from the lunges. I also know that muscle becomes inflamed as part of the breaking down process when you're working out. So, would it be bad to take anti-inflammatory meds right after the workout to try to help my tendon? Would it slow the process of the break down and rehealing of the muscles? Should I just stick with icing it? I can't even get into my doctor for the next couple weeks to ask. But if anyone has ever dealt with this, I'd love your input!

Replies

• kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    No one? :(
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't have tendonitis, but I was having some knee pain when the barometric pressure went up in my area. My Dr. told me to take an anti-inflamatory, such as Aleve or Ibuprofen. He said that you have to take it regularly for about 5 days so that it builds up enough in your system. With my knees, I iced them right after the workouts and then soaked in an epsom salt bath at night. Don't know it that helps any, but that's as close as I have for you. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I used to take ibuprofen periodically after playing soccer or volleyball to try to stave off some of the soreness I'd get. I'm not sure how much it helped, but it didn't hurt.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It WILL decrease muscle regeneration:
    http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=use_caution_when_taking_antiinflammatory_meds_after_exercise

i would try to hold off on taking any for 2 hours if you can stand it.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    taking anti-inflammatories after working out <<<Google that and you will see ALOT of articles on this.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    if you go to KT tapes website, they show you how you can tape for pretty much any issue. When I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my foot, this pretty much got me through my half marathon training. Make sure you follow the directions and videos exactly though. If you do, the tape will last up to 5/7 days. I always take mine off immediately after, but I was tanning and didn't want tan lines.

http://www.kttape.com/

If I cant post this link then let me know and I'll delete it. I just think its great stuff. I know there are other products that do similar things such as rock tape, but I have not tried them.
  • WeekendDM52
    Options
    Hey Kitty,

I am a Personal Trainer, and an experienced one. I'm not on here to lose any weight but I think its a great tool for tracking healthy eating and fitness.

If you have tendonitis in your foot/feet and it hurts, personally I would say you shouldn't be weight-bearing training until it's better. You'll make it worse. If you were my client I would have you Swimming daily- you can still be super-fit and burn all the fuel (calories) you need but you'll give your ankle a fighting chance.

I'm not a doctor, so do check with your doc for sure, but please don't make your foot worse- take it from someone who learned the hard way!!

All the best with it all.

Healthy Regards
  • kittyhasclaws
    Options
    ladimang, thanks for those links! I'm going to check them out for sure.

dietstrokes, I'm off to check it out as soon as I finish here.

WeekendDM52, I wish that swimming was an option for me, but it's not. I have no facilities available, or else I would definitely take advantage of it.
  • kittyhasclaws
    Options
    dietstrokes, I'm going to definitely try some of that stuff out! Supposedly the Walmart down the road carries it, so I'm highly interested.