is this typical?

Options
Since I've started trying 2 lose weight -May 3- Ive lost 12 lbs and 11.75 inches. Is this typical for most people or am I doing good or not so well?
I'm 41 yrs old, 5'6" and now weigh 182.
Thanks!

Replies

• KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    Sounds good to me if your not doing anything like insanity stuff. I'm losing about 1 lb a week, which is 4 lb a month which in 3 months, is 12 lbs, so it sounds like your doing it right to me. If your losing, then that's what matters. I've also heard, definitely don't quote me on this, that the slower you lose it the slower it is to gain it back.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Yes, a slow weight loss is easier to maintain.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me!

I have found the slower you go the better your chances of not regaining. Your diary looks very good from the few days I looked at quickly.

I feel a loss of 1 to 1.5 pounds a week is normal.

Keep on doing what you're doing and all my best!!
  • bobbieocean
    bobbieocean Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started May 15th, i have lost 11 lbs, and i am at 183.5 now. 5'3" and 45 yr, So it seems we are doing about equally well, and are about the same. Although, i don't seem to be losing nearly as many inches as you are. So you must be doing something right!
  • sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks u guys! I was kinda worried this was going too slow. I feel so much better now! :smile:
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think people lose more during the first few weeks then slow down to 1 - 2 pounds a week. I started a few weeks before you and have now lost 16 pounds and I am also similar in height. We seem to be losing at approximately the same rate. I'm not sure what you mean about the 11.75 inches - do you mean overall or just in one area of your body (ie, neck, waist, hips)? A lot of people complain that the scale is not moving quickly enough for them but at the same time they are losing inches which is good as this usually means that they are gaining muscle.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. You're going to build muscle and lose fat more effectively at this kind of rate. You're doing awesome!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    It's taken me 17 weeks to lose 30.5lbs. Someone on my friend's list started around the same time as me but has lost twice the amount I have. It's fine - it depends on the person. As long as it's healthy and sustainable. At least it's gone :)
  • sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    A total of 11.75 inches.mostly off my waist and hips (3 off each) ..my problem is I obsess about the scale and am not looking at the big picture.I go 2 Curves for 45 minutes a day 6 x a week and recently -on day 4 -started Jillian Michael's 30 day shred DVD.Thhat chick is a beast!
    I'm glad 2 know I'm about average with my weight loss. Pretty much right on track! Yay!!